Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The design is definitely a radical shift. By this point I know that Elon is not the best speaker, I just wish that the long awaited reveal would have been done much better. Tesla really had an chance to bring in a lot of new people not already in the fold, and I think it was a missed opportunity. They could have shown preceding designs like they quickly scrolled through on the screen and taken the time to explain why the new design was better. I wish they would have shown the use of the air compressor and AC power to power tools, as well as showed the interior. I wish they would have spoken how the hardness of the body translated into improved safety. I think it was unfortunately they worst choreographed reveal yet, for their most radical design. I am disappointed in it as a supporter who really wants them to succeed in speeding up the transition to sustainable energy.

A paradigm shift for sure. Lower cost to produce, flat panel exoskeleton construction, that is extremely robust, and aerodynamically efficient. Beats the competition at half the price.
No other car company would have the courage to bring something like this forward. It takes some time to process and understand something so different.

It needs a little polish, and I am sure it will get that. It will be a modders delight, I expect wraps will be popular.

Who would have thought you could buy a stainless steel truck. No need to worry about rust and dents.

Still sinking in how big it is, and can get that great range.

It’s brilliant..
I am sure it’s a great machine... but PickUp trucks in US (not so much in U.K... we have white van man!) are about marketing an engineered masculinity... it’s image... this is making all those Ram Trucks and Fords sold as tough vehicles for tough guys suddenly look aged... those big front ends now luck like paunches...

Whether it’s a profitable venture or a commercially successful vehicle is by and bye... it’s really Musk and Tesla kicking sand in the faces of the Short Sellers, Detroit and Big Oil...

I was really curious to see what Tesla would do with an electrified pick-up truck. The traditional design doesn't exactly lend itself to efficiency, and efficiency is very important for any BEV...no matter the segment.

You'll notice that everyone else coming out with a truck is simply electrifying a traditional ICEV design. However, you don't need a large boxy frontal space when you don't need a large V8+ engine, as an example. You'll notice just how big a battery (180kWh) Rivian has to throw in there to get 400 miles...and even so it has less capable towing capacity, and a much higher price tag. Bollinger is another company struggling to wrench range out of an inefficient design, and it's driving the price up into the six figures. Ford and GM are being forced to use aluminum paneling in trucks that are supposed to be designed for ruggedness, because they are limited by tradition and powertrain compromises.

The Cybertruck design is radical, but I think it has to be if you're going to produce a capable BEV truck at a price that keeps it within ICEV competition. People have framed this as Elon/Tesla making a mistake with the design, but I don't think it's a mistake to try to build a vehicle around the powertrain. If there is a mistake with the Cybertruck it will be consumers' inability to accept such a radical departure from the norm.

Unfortunately, it will be consumers who decide whether or not the truck will be successful, and it will be a shame if they cannot accept it.

To be clear, I realize that the Cybertruck design also has drawbacks specifically related to pick-up truck usability, but if one truck met everyone's needs then we wouldn't see so many different models from nearly every manufacturer.

for the first time i am legitimately worried about the solvency of the company. i could very well have a 50k paperweight in a few years (my P3D-)....oh man this truck is awful. and the glass breaking was just painful to watch. like others have said i kept waiting for the curtain to be pulled back and the real truck revealed. wow.

Exaggerate much? Goodness.

Reactions: jelloslug
Post #1
Bolt owner here. I put down a deposit on the 4WD version. Ideally, I would like more range and don't need 2.9 0-60 so perhaps there will be a bigger battery option on the 4WD.
I like the styling, no need for a EV to look like an ICE. Reminds me of an F-117 Stealth fighter.
As far as the SS (stainless steel) body, I see many benefits and a couple of downsides - SS stains and salt promotes corrosion of SS. Wonder if they could do a blackened finish like appliances have.
Also, realize that this is a BIG truck - just as big as my Silverado double cab long bed. No problem where I live because the parking lots are vast and spaces large, SOCAL? Not so much fun there.

That's the part buyers will be surprised by. This is a 20ft long heavy machine with enormous blind spots. It is bigger and longer than a suburban. If you don't drive trucks often, a vehicle like this won't be easy to maneuver (or fit in your garage)

I was really curious to see what Tesla would do with an electrified pick-up truck. The traditional design doesn't exactly lend itself to efficiency, and efficiency is very important for any BEV...no matter the segment.

You'll notice that everyone else coming out with a truck is simply electrifying a traditional ICEV design. However, you don't need a large boxy frontal space when you don't need a large V8+ engine, as an example. You'll notice just how big a battery (180kWh) Rivian has to throw in there to get 400 miles...and even so it has less capable towing capacity, and a much higher price tag. Bollinger is another company struggling to wrench range out of an inefficient design, and it's driving the price up into the six figures. Ford and GM are being forced to use aluminum paneling in trucks that are supposed to be designed for ruggedness, because they are limited by tradition and powertrain compromises.

The Cybertruck design is radical, but I think it has to be if you're going to produce a capable BEV truck at a price that keeps it within ICEV competition. People have framed this as Elon/Tesla making a mistake with the design, but I don't think it's a mistake to try to build a vehicle around the powertrain. If there is a mistake with the Cybertruck it will be consumers' inability to accept such a radical departure from the norm.

Unfortunately, it will be consumers who decide whether or not the truck will be successful, and it will be a shame if they cannot accept it.

To be clear, I realize that the Cybertruck design also has drawbacks specifically related to pick-up truck usability, but if one truck met everyone's needs then we wouldn't see so many different models from nearly every manufacturer.

You are 100percent correct. This is how the car HAD to look, to be a game changer, period. Thank you Tesla for not taking the easy route and designing another rivian. I will buy this car.

A quick technical breakdown of the benefits of the design elements, on such a radical design, would probably have done a lot to help ease some of the backlash, IMHO.

Also, I'm just super curious.
It was such a terrible presentation, even by Tesla standards. I hate to say that, and definitely wish it were the opposite. Elon seemed entirely out of it, hurrying through things and making the person in charge of the slides have to skip forward. He kept looking back at the screen to verify where he was, then the windows broke and he seemed to just rush through the rest.

One of the better Tesla presentations I remember was launching Tesla Energy. That one had details and information, was presented clearly, and anyone could follow along. If only they'd do some preparation and rehearsal, these could really be big wins for Tesla. I honestly think the Cybertruck, given the shocking design language, could have been explained and demoed in a better way to lessen the negative impact on some viewers. More preparation, more explanation, don't skip the "inspiration" segment, slowly work the audience into understanding the design language before showing it. Less hammers and metal balls. Those stunts are unnecessary, in my opinion. Just show some videos of the testing that was done, then show the truck.

But, of course, I'm just me and they're them and they have a $60 billion market cap and I have a Tesla baseball cap.

Spotted load testing today near Mendocino...
View attachment 477517

Amazingly, this turned out to be the most accurate pre-reveal render!
Congratulations!

Thanks - it is a dubious honor!

I'm pleased to say that after suffering the same shock, confusion and horror many others experienced during the reveal, the design is growing on me a little today. A little.