Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same argument was made about the Model 3. Of course, $100 is more than $1,000...but still not a particularly large amount...and both fully refundable.

Comparing this to the Model 3 is a fatal mistake. They are not even in the same class. The Model 3 is a normal looking car that happens to be an EV. This is a stainless steel ramp with wheels.

It's got a fully refundable $100 deposit. How many of those people do you actually think will follow through with the purchase?
We already know what the Rivian will look like, and Ford will likely be fairly conventional. I don't see many people putting down a deposit on something this radical deciding to switch to fairly conventional in the future, especially since the competition will likely have worse specs for more money. And we are talking about less than 24 hours of orders.

Reactions: SpaceCash and mongo
It’s probably just me, but I find the look of the cyber truck hideous. But looking at the reviews by people who ordered it, it looks like just me. I hope it succeeds in a huge way.

We already know what the Rivian will look like, and Ford will likely be fairly conventional. I don't see many people putting down a deposit on something this radical deciding to switch to fairly conventional in the future, especially since the competition will likely have worse specs for more money. And we are talking about less than 24 hours of orders.

We're talking about $100. Most people on this forum could drop $100 down the toilet and it would have 0 affect on their lives.

We're talking about $100. Most people on this forum could drop $100 down the toilet and it would have 0 affect on their lives.

I'd say even $1000.

Not sure what the point is, the vehicle in a the $40K range is very affordable for most families buying cars and this will accomodate most families with 6 seats if they chose to go pickup over Model Y for example. Just look at the cost of the SUV/crossovers out there that families have been buying. For a small business who maybe does landscaping, plenty of room for equipment in the bed and room to carry a decent size crew to the job site. Be it a $100 or $1000 deposit it's the vehicle price that makes it affordable; and great to see Tesla now being able to lower their deposits on their cars and this pickup.

It’s probably just me, but I find the look of the cyber truck hideous. But looking at the reviews by people who ordered it, it looks like just me. I hope it succeeds in a huge way.

No, its not just you. That thing is ugly.
Yet, in ~3 years when it becomes available here, I will buy the dual motor version and trade-in my beautiful Model S for it.
Why ?
Because it has far better utility, far more functional as a vehicle:
- has a longer range (300 miles vs ~230 that my 2014 Model S85 will retain by that time)
- has AWD vs my RWD, which matters in the winter here in Ontario
- has better acceleration (4.5s instead of 5.5s for my old S)
- has Autopilot (my old S is pre-AP)
- has more ground clearance
- seats more (6 versus 5 in my S)
- has much more cargo capacity
- it has a tough practically indestructible surface, so I do not have to worry about scratches, door dings etc.
- easier to get in and out (I am getting old)

Now, you may ask why don't I buy a new Model X or Y, that would also provide most of those benefits (except the tough surface). Well, because it is cheaper! The dual motor cyber truck is $50K with Autopilot, the Model Y AWD is ~$52K, Model X is much more. Plus, as a bonus the truck has a cargo vault that can carry a lot more and may double duty as a camper.

When I sit inside, I will not see how ugly it is. ;)
If I want to see a nicer car in my garage, I will look at my Model 3 :)

Not sure what the point is, the vehicle in a the $40K range is very affordable for most families buying cars and this will accomodate most families with 6 seats if they chose to go pickup over Model Y for example. Just look at the cost of the SUV/crossovers out there that families have been buying. For a small business who maybe does landscaping, plenty of room for equipment in the bed and room to carry a decent size crew to the job site. Be it a $100 or $1000 deposit it's the vehicle price that makes it affordable; and great to see Tesla now being able to lower their deposits on their cars and this pickup.

Most of the landscapers I know used an enclosed trailer to haul their equipment around in, because even a longbed won't accommodate everything they need. At a 6.5 foot bed, there's little chance a landscaper would use one of these for crew work.

The point of saying the deposit is pocket change for many here, is that they can look at it as hedging their bets so to speak, in case they don't like the other options that come out by the time this does. This gets them their place in line for throwaway money. There's plenty of time to back out if they never warm up to this monstrosity. The problem is, there's 100,000 deposits now telling Elon that yes, this is the vehicle we want, so he will focus all his efforts on bringing it to market exactly this way. When a more conventional approach would have set the world on fire. There's so much potential lost here it's staggering.

Sure but why bother if you don't like the vehicle? Obviously it's a polarizing design, most of the people doing the deposit probably love it. Just because you don't doesn't negate that possibility. Millions buy iPhones even though I wouldn't.