Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure but why bother if you don't like the vehicle?

Lots of people here today have said they don't like the design, but put down money for one anyway. It's truly baffling. Like ordering food you know makes you sick.

When it comes time to finalize the purchase, and we see what it really looks like in order to meet regulations (mirrors, real headlights, wipers, actual bumpers, a real airbag-equipped steering wheel, pedestrian impact concerns) and what it truly sells for, we'll see what happens.

Wow @mattjs33 this is really getting to you that people are getting a reservation. I put down a reservation on my Model 3 without getting to sit in one or drive one and love it since getting it delivered. Best car I've owned ever for many reasons. Reserved based on how much I loved the overall quality/features of the Model S which I had been in and driven and expected something similar. Got it and didn't disappoint. I'll bet most of these people reserving and getting their pickup will end up feeling the same way. The people who did the test rides seemed pretty impressed. You don't have to love everything about something to still love it. What are you driving that you have such strong feelings about this??

As for pricing I think Tesla has pretty much been right there with the pricing and generally the specs. Which have improved over time even after purchase. I get the feeling you think people will be turned off by any changes but don't understand why. If they like the pickup enough to reserve now "as ugly as you think it is" doubt it would get "uglier".

Me, because of the difference in pricing, superchargers and to a lesser extent the notion that Tesla is a known quantity. I have reservations for both but will almost surely only buy one.

Will you only buy the Tesla if Ford and Rivian completely screw up? That was the originally proposed reason why more than half the reservations would not go away. (Tesla loses majority of reservations unless competition screws up)

It's got a fully refundable $100 deposit. How many of those people do you actually think will follow through with the purchase?

actually read the fine print, that $100 is not a deposit at all. it's a preorder processing fee. it specifically says this and that it is not a deposit for the car and that $100 will not be subtracted from the price of the car when you go to pay for it.

• Disagree
Reactions: mongo
It's not just you. Not by a longshot.

Below is my 3. I absolutely believe I have good taste in design and appearance. The Cybertruck design is not something I would have signed off on. (Maybe that would have changed with some engineers informing/educating me)

However I feel I HAVE to get a Cybertruck to replace my Dodge Caravan. The specifications and mission versatility are too frieken awesome for the price point. For capabilities versus value, it is the best vehicle Tesla has ever presented.

IMG_0958.JPG

Will you only buy the Tesla if Ford and Rivian completely screw up? That was the originally proposed reason why more than half the reservations would not go away. (Tesla loses majority of reservations unless competition screws up)
No and I’m not sure on which side of the debate I fall. I’m pointing out what I believe is a slightly different perspective. I have a Model 3 and would like a larger vehicle (not an X) so I reserved an R1S (interestingly not the truck although I like that a lot as well) and a Cybertruck because while I much prefer the design of either Rivian, it’s hard to pass up Tesla’s top end offering at the starting price of a Rivian. Tesla has the advantages I mentioned in my last post as well so I suppose I’m leaning in that direction but quite torn. The ultimate takeaway of the anecdote that is my scenario is that I highly prefer a more “conventional” design yet may still opt for the Cybertruck. Then again, the $100 is certainly just a placeholder in line for me at the moment....

• Helpful
actually read the fine print, that $100 is not a deposit at all. it's a preorder processing fee. it specifically says this and that it is not a deposit for the car and that $100 will not be subtracted from the price of the car when you go to pay for it.
It is refundable and credited at purchase.

Your Pre-Order Payment covers the cost of these activvies and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Until your Vehicle is delivered to you, you may cancel your pre-order at any time, in which case you will receive a full refund of your Pre-Order Payment. Until your final configuration is matched to a vehicle, you may make changes to your Vehicle Configuration. If you make changes to the Configuration of the Vehicle, you may be subject to potenal price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Pre-Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuraon, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement. When you take delivery of the Vehicle, we will provide a credit to the final pre-order price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Pre-Order Payment you paid.

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash
It is refundable and credited at purchase.

Your Pre-Order Payment covers the cost of these activvies and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Until your Vehicle is delivered to you, you may cancel your pre-order at any time, in which case you will receive a full refund of your Pre-Order Payment. Until your final configuration is matched to a vehicle, you may make changes to your Vehicle Configuration. If you make changes to the Configuration of the Vehicle, you may be subject to potenal price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Pre-Order Date. Any changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuraon, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement. When you take delivery of the Vehicle, we will provide a credit to the final pre-order price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Pre-Order Payment you paid.

ok my bad, i missed that last line! I was too focused on the first line that read 'Your Pre-Order Payment covers the cost of these activvies and other processing costs and is not a deposit for the Vehicle.'

Wow @mattjs33 this is really getting to you that people are getting a reservation. I put down a reservation on my Model 3 without getting to sit in one or drive one and love it since getting it delivered. Best car I've owned ever for many reasons. Reserved based on how much I loved the overall quality/features of the Model S which I had been in and driven and expected something similar. Got it and didn't disappoint. I'll bet most of these people reserving and getting their pickup will end up feeling the same way. The people who did the test rides seemed pretty impressed. You don't have to love everything about something to still love it. What are you driving that you have such strong feelings about this??

As for pricing I think Tesla has pretty much been right there with the pricing and generally the specs. Which have improved over time even after purchase. I get the feeling you think people will be turned off by any changes but don't understand why. If they like the pickup enough to reserve now "as ugly as you think it is" doubt it would get "uglier".

I don’t care either way, to be honest. What’s always been funny about this forum is that people assume that because I have different viewpoints, I must be invested on one side or the other. I’m not. I have my Jaguar, I’m content. I think Tesla’s cars are reasonably attractive and good performers. This Cybertruck is an affront to good design.

100,000 people putting down $100 each is merely 100,000 letters of intent, so to speak. They won’t all translate into sales, just as all 400,000 deposits for the 3 didnt. If Ruvian or Ford hits the market first with an EV pickup that wouldn’t scare a bulldog off a meat truck, there just might be a number of people who would accept giving up some stats for that.

Glad you like your 3. It’s not relevant to the discussion, but congrats anyway.

No just trying to understand I guess your disbelief and surprise that so many people are putting down reservations. You have mentioned it a number of times in posts I've read so I took that as you having a very strong opinion on it. I get you find it ugly but people are just seeing it for the first time, looking at the features and specs and seeing the test drives and better able to form their opinions now.

We won't be buying the CyberTruck, just no need for it but I do enjoy reading the varying opinions and was thinking is this for real while watching the reveal. The more I've seen the more I too have changed my opinion for the positive. The point of bringing up the Model 3 was that despite scratching my head on the minimal interior of it when it first came out and never thinking I would like the center screen, I changed my mind, actually pretty quickly (and no regrets). Not unlike what I'm seeing from posts from others on here regarding their reaction to the CyberTruck. Had hoped you saw the connection I was trying to make with my car. As for asking about your car, I was curious if you were a Tesla driver. For the most part those that are know what it feels like to drive one and so would be willing to quickly sign up for another Tesla vehicle.

No doubt there will be some cancelations just like there were from the initial group of Model 3 reservation holders. People need vehicles sooner and other concerns come into play. Right now all the new yet-to-be-released manufacturer cars are taking deposits from $100 to $2500 from what I've seen and they will go through the same cancellations too.

I am a big time Tesla fan boy and have no shame to admit it. I’ve loved everything elon musk for years. I love my model 3 (pic attached). It brings me joy every single time I drive it. It’s beautiful and amazing. But for the first time ever I just can’t get around this one. I was really looking forward to cybertruck because I was interested in buying one. But I just can’t. This thing is way to ugly. It looks like a joke. And it’s a shame because the specs and price are amazing. I just hate that this thing is so ugly.

Attachments

• 43735BBF-2A46-44AF-8600-401563FF7CCD.jpeg
    43735BBF-2A46-44AF-8600-401563FF7CCD.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 47
It's got a fully refundable $100 deposit. How many of those people do you actually think will follow through with the purchase?

It's got a multiyear lead time, how many of those that drop out will be replaced by others in the coming year or two?

Just like the Model 3 people got so hung up on reservation numbers but they are selling hundreds of thousands more than they ever got reservations for. Eventually there will be millions of them sold without reservation.

There is no reason to be hung up on how many people reserve Model Y or Cybertruck.