Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that line of thought is why the same boring, compromised, 100 year-old design is still used by everyone else. I give it a high probability this crazy design will grow on a lot of people as it becomes more mainstream, especially when the specs are far superior to anything else on the market. I like it when companies take a risk. Something that legacy automakers are hopeless at.

Agreed. And as to the buzz comment, everyone knows about the cybertruck now, even folks who couldn't care less.

Alright, alright. Maybe I've gone a little too hard on this thing. Or at least on the people who say they like it. I can't understand that, but everyone gets to like what they like. Some people want to be different just because.

But honestly, if I was a stockholder, and this is what they rolled out, I'd be pissed. The light truck market is over two million units a year in the US. There's a tremendous market potential there. Why go with something so polarizing? They knew going in that there was going to be a large percentage of people who weren't going to like it on looks alone. Why do that? When entering such an important market segment, with such huge profit potential?

This is why I say it comes off as a vanity project for Elon. You can like the design if you want (I can't imagine why, but taste is subjective), but you have to acknowledge the lost potential is huge.

If GM had put out something like this, I assure you this forum would have erupted in fits of laughter. People still give BMW sh*t about the i3 and it's nowhere near as far out there.

And that line of thought is why the same boring, compromised, 100 year-old design is still used by everyone else.

Oh please. What's compromised about a Ford F250 vs. this Cybertruck? What does the Cybertruck do better than the F250, as a direct result of its exterior design?

Maybe trucks look the way they do after 100 years because everyone's settled on the solution that works best for 99% of the usage a truck will get?

If it's such a superior design, then tell me why I am not seeing the roads around my town filled with similarly shaped vehicles? Are Tesla engineers the only automobile engineers on earth who have discovered the advantages it offers?
Why don't the other vehicles in Tesla's lineup look this way?
Your lack of understanding is astounding. Are the other vehicles around you made of stainless steel? Have you seen a Delorean? Do you know what it's made of? Are they making any attempt at good aerodynamics for a truck platform? A shred of common sense would answer your questions.

It may not even be all that cheap to manufacture. I don't think stainless steel is easier to work with than regular stamped steel, nor cheaper.
Stainless steel is harder to work with, when using conventional presses and dies, and trying to form compound curves. Guess why Cyber doesn't have compound curves? Guess what expensive, time consuming, troublesome manufacturing process is completely eliminated by using stainless steel? Are you getting any closer to understanding why the truck looks the way it does and why it's cheaper to build, or am I just wasting my time?

Oh please. What's compromised about a Ford F250 vs. this Cybertruck? What does the Cybertruck do better than the F250, as a direct result of its exterior design?

It will be far more efficient for one, and it will be highly dent resistant because of the material it's made of, which as I explained above, influences it's design.
Maybe trucks look the way they do after 100 years because everyone's settled on the solution that works best for 99% of the usage a truck will get?
Or maybe because it's locked into a design limited by it's ICE drive train.

Your lack of understanding is astounding. Are the other vehicles around you made of stainless steel? Have you seen a Delorean? Do you know what it's made of? Are they making any attempt at good aerodynamics for a truck platform? A shred of common sense would answer your questions.

Yes, I have seen a DeLorean. And I've noticed they have curves on them, and a lot more style than the Cybertruck has. Working with stainless does not preclude having a pleasing design.

Stainless steel is harder to work with, when using conventional presses and dies, and trying to form compound curves. Guess why Cyber doesn't have compound curves? Guess what expensive, time consuming, troublesome manufacturing process is completely eliminated by using stainless steel? Are you getting any closer to understanding why the truck looks the way it does and why it's cheaper to build, or am I just wasting my time?

If you read closely, you'll notice that I acknowledged that the Cybertruck is designed with flat surfaces precisely because doing all of what you said was more difficult and expensive (though not impossible, see the DeLorean).

The Bollinger is devoid of curves as well and looks nowhere near as bad. In my opinion, I have to be clear on that apparently.

Again I'll ask, if a stainless body devoid of curves (or style for that matter) is such an advantage, why isn't the S made that way?

Last edited:
But honestly, if I was a stockholder, and this is what they rolled out, I'd be pissed. The light truck market is over two million units a year in the US. There's a tremendous market potential there. Why go with something so polarizing?
Why would you be pissed when Elon told us it would be polarizing and not everyone would like it? Trucks are a huge market, even a small portion of that market would be great, and Tesla can only build so many vehicles at once. They can't produce 1 million trucks a year any time soon so why not push the envelope?

Reactions: mongo
It will be far more efficient for one, and it will be highly dent resistant because of the material it's made of, which as I explained above, influences it's design.

I'll be honest, that design does not look terribly aerodynamic to me. I've not seen a lot of vehicles with hard breaks in the roof like that. But then, I'm no aerodynamicist. I'd be really interested in the numbers on it.

Or maybe because it's locked into a design limited by it's ICE drive train.

Agree 100%.

Take the Semi cab, in half scale, and put a pickup box behind it. That would have been awesome. The Tesla pickup doesn't need a hood over an engine. Put the passengers up over the front wheels, that would give you even more room to play behind the cab. You could even offer a short cab version with a TEN foot bed, if you had wanted to, and the overall length probably still wouldn't have been excessive, due to all the stuff you're not packaging up front.

Look, whether or not the design is justified, Tesla missed the mark on making a real dent in the market with this. I was actually really excited to see it, and when I saw the real offering, I'm not kidding I actually laughed out loud. It's going to be real hard for mainstream guys to take this thing seriously. Tesla blew it.

Last edited:
“The reason I say it may be just the most brilliant thing ever is it may be the cheapest vehicle ever to manufacture. Stamping and tooling is extremely expensive, bending glass is extremely expensive.”

“It might be economically amazing for Tesla. Look at details on the exterior of the car, it’s so de-contented. There’s so little investment on the aesthetic side, it’s almost like they could pull a profit straight off, possibly even on the lowest model.”
Mocked Tesla Cybertruck May Be Brilliant, Car Designer Says

Tesla can only build so many vehicles at once. They can't produce 1 million trucks a year any time soon so why not push the envelope?

Well they have a couple years to sort that out, don't they? I don't think they could sell anywhere near that I year 1 in any case, but what does pushing the envelope get you? Especially knowing the light truck market is notoriously hard to break into? The EV aspect alone is worth a couple hundred thousand units a year (hell they may sell that many even though it's ugly), but why not go in with every advantage you could have? Tesla could easily ramp it up, build a new factory for it, we know they're good at that.

I don't think that Tesla will have much production capacity for this truck anyway. Fremont is full, so this will have to go in Reno. They can produce a couple hundred thousand of those a year and sell everything. Once they want to expand beyond this, they can always release something more conventional then.

When the Berlin giga factory is online, Fremont will no longer be producing for Europe, this will free up production capacity for the truck.

Reactions: mattjs33
So you've just admitted that the lack of curves has nothing to do with your dislike of the vehicle, yet you've been carrying on like it's the end of the world. Yeah, I'm wasting my time. Rage on...

It's not the lack of curves, it's the ridiculous pyramid profile with the hard break on top. The proportions are all weird too.

Let me ask you because I know you've been around here a long time and are pretty smart, so I'm genuinely curious...

What were you hoping and/or expecting it would look like? Be honest.

I doubt you were hoping for what it actually is.

Reactions: Owner
I for one won't accept that Elon warned us and said it wouldn't be for everyone...that is too simplistic and shallow...the truck mkt in the US is bigger than any other class of cars...when Ford is selling like 80K(like entire quarters worth of model 3's) F150 a month you can imagine how marge this mkt is....you realize there are a million F150's sold per yer year!!!

Why would you try to sell 5K a month when 20-30K was potentially on the table.

Shareholders should be angry cause its a huge loss of potential cause TSLA stock have potentially broken out of the 200-400 range its been in for many years and taken out 400 finally...could have made a run to 500 on the charts...so those of us who have TSLA stock and believe in the company we could have been very happy but instead took big losses yesterday.

To ignore the largest mkt in the world is dumb imo...cause that product Elon brought out is a niche product not much different than the ATV he showed.

Last edited:

Marques Brownlee
@MKBHD

The CyberTruck video already has nearly 20,000 comments that seem to literally alternate between how cool, unique and desirable it is and how blasphemous and terrible it is. Haven't seen anything so polarizing in a long time. You either love it or you hate it
Marques Brownlee on Twitter

Marketing f**king genius. If they never sell a single Cybertruck this event was a winner. Some of you will apparently never grasp this.

What were you hoping and/or expecting it would look like? Be honest.

I doubt you were hoping for what it actually is.
Ok I'll indulge. I was thinking of the front being a bit more vertical, with a flat roof section, leading into a slightly sloping removable bed cap. I was quite surprised when I first saw it, but as with many others, it quickly grew on me as I started to comprehend the actual benefits. Change is harder for some people than others, I like to be able to adapt quickly to new information.

Reactions: PACEMD and mongo