Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cybrtrk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really need to read some of the articles people posted explaining the benefits of this weird design. A chassis that was designed for an ICE is not ideal for an EV. The cab-on-frame design doesn’t lend itself well to a skateboard battery pack or good handling. Every other manufacturer except Tesla is making compromises for aesthetics. It’s about time people dump the old design and get used to something that works better for EVs. As usual, the company with some balls is going to drag the rest kicking and screaming.

I've been watching EV development for a long time, believe me I understand all the benefits of designing a ground-up EV around the battery pack in a skateboard style. It's EV 101. What goes on top of that skateboard however can be designed to look like pretty much anything; why does it have to look like a nine year old carved it with a chisel?

Can you tell me what benefits the peaked pyramid shape provides? Surely it can't be aerodynamics or car designers would have settled on that long ago. Don't tell me you think that Tesla is going to "drag the rest kicking and screaming" into designing polygon cars?

And there's been a lot of cars in history with steeply raked, flat windshields throughout history. Some of them are my favorite cars. That design might be fine for an exotic, maybe not so much for a vehicle which promises such utility. Remember GM's "dustbuster" vans? This thing takes that up to 11. It's radical, I'll give you that. I don't know what it would be like to actually live with.

We better start making some space in our lobby for 48-inch wiper blades.

I don’t get it. Of all the possible designs that people said they were hoping to see (including plenty of people here who have a deposit down) suggested they would want to see a faceted triangle on wheels - yet folks are drooling over this for some reason. I’m beginning to think you’d have ordered anything that rolled across the stage and defended it. Go back to the pre-event posts and see what most Tesla folks were hoping to see.

Exactly.

I don’t get it. Of all the possible designs that people said they were hoping to see (including plenty of people here who have a deposit down) suggested they would want to see a faceted triangle on wheels - yet folks are drooling over this for some reason. I’m beginning to think you’d have ordered anything that rolled across the stage and defended it. Go back to the pre-event posts and see what most Tesla folks were hoping to see.

I don't think many people were hoping for the look. But the look was necessary to make a tough and inexpensive electric truck. Read the Motortrend article on the engineering and manufacturing.

Ford, Rivian, and GM are all going to have electric trucks in the next two years that will be more traditional in design. However, they will also be 50-100% than their ICE equivalent. I think Tesla would have been in a similar situation if they had based the design for example on the Model X. It would have had a starting price of $70k+. Instead we have a very capable electric truck that is closer in price to a Model 3. It's really quite an accomplishment. This will be competitive performance and price without tax credits compared to current ICE trucks. It took some balls and rethinking how to build a truck.

Reactions: DragonWatch
Thank you JRP3.

Now, hummm, where to begin? For those of us in the beer garden, there are lots of us that stick our foot in our mouths. My CyberTruck will cost at least $70K

Probably 50% of the pickups today, never get utilized as a pickup.

The CyberTruck will get my wife and I out of our driveway in the snow. There are roughly nine lots between our home and the main road around the lake. The funniest thing happened to my wife and I last December, we had a deep snow fall and our X raised to full height, made it safely past seven lots. Trust me when I say, there is nothing funnier that two 69 year olds shoveling snow through two lots with a shop dustpan and a flat shovel. To top it off, a younger woman comes out and complains that we need to work faster because she needs to go to work.

Our Tesla CyberTruck will haul bricks, fence posts, drywall, trees, furniture, forty bags of concrete, and the list goes on past those nine lots.

My GrandPups (real grandkids) will continue to be the talk of the school. Not sure who the best grandparent will be ~ the cool grandmother in her falcon wing Model X or her “honey do” Tesla CyberTruck driver. Grandma wins almost every time:)

Now, the sides of that truck may convince my son-in-law he needs the truck. A couple of years back he apparently pi$$ed off one of the local deer. The deer ram’d his truck:-( Please do not laugh at him, he is much taller than you, or me.

He manages his and others properties. So, between dump runs and all the stuff I haul; he hauls more.

I am old, old as dirt. I cannot wait to trade in my current pickup for a Tesla CyberTruck. I told you, “I was born outside the box, and told to stay the hell out.” I just hope my wife will allow me to drive it:)

Apparently the race is on. I just texted my son-in-law telling him I ordered my 500 mile range CyberTruck ~ he texted back that he just ordered his Rivian pickup and he is ready to drag race. The boy will never learn; I do not like to lose ~ period.:D:rolleyes:;) If the stock does not go up, he gets nothing :oops:

I think my grandson will love this truck and want to have it teach him how to drive. Autopilot :D:confused:

My daughter and I were making fun of the regular (now outdated) pickup trucks on the highway today.

the day after the presentation i did look at other trucks differently while driving the road. and thinking "man, im super glad there is something different now." like specs and price aside, if i had the option to buy any of the most iconic sports cars in history, AND be able to carry around a bed full of bricks AND not choke everyone around me on un-burt fuel?! hell yah i am in. #longlivethewedge!!

• Funny
Reactions: alsetym and gavine
I've been watching EV development for a long time, believe me I understand all the benefits of designing a ground-up EV around the battery pack in a skateboard style. It's EV 101. What goes on top of that skateboard however can be designed to look like pretty much anything; why does it have to look like a nine year old carved it with a chisel?

Can you tell me what benefits the peaked pyramid shape provides?

1. Tesla can't produce 2 million trucks a year
2. that design allows them to make more trucks, quicker and cheaper
3. If they can't make all the trucks they can sell, no reason not to make them in a way that only appeals to some. They still can't make as many as they can sell either way. So focus on increasing output as opposed to pleasing everybody.

You keep talking about looks and why no one did it before. It's not about aero or looks, it's about manufacturability for a growing company trying to become the largest car manufacturer in the world. One that only has 2 car factories vs companies that have hundreds of factories. By the time the truck comes out Tesla will have at least 4 car factories but that's still a limited capability. So this truck is designed to require the smallest amount of factory resources it can possibly take and still be a viable vehicle.

New factories will focus on Model 3 and Model Y and any space they spend on Cybertruck is a reduction in space that could be producing S/3/X/Y. Essentially Tesla is saying they want to make a truck but they don't want it to reduce the amount of other vehicles they'll make any more than it has to.

This market cap graphic is two weeks old but I think it's relevant if you keep asking why Tesla is doing this low polygon vehicle.

upload_2019-11-11_19-21-13-png.475795

Last edited:
Cybertruck already made an appearance in a Saturday Night Live sketch as Andrew Yangs choice for VP. 4:48 in the video:

Supercar Blondie has over 800,000 views on her Cybertruck video

MKBHD has 6 million views on his first CT video and another 2.3 million on a second

Marques Brownlee

Cybertruck is blowing up across the world, and some of you still think it was a mistake? What would have been a success?

Regarding the talk about it growing on you, wait until you see it in-person. I think it will grow on you even more. I haven’t seen it in-person, but when watching the unveiling, I thought it looked much better on the road during the test drives than it did on stage.

I had a BMW i3, which I thought was ugly, but after owning it and understanding why it looked the way it did, it grew on me and I actually liked the looks of it. In that vain, the same goes for the cybertruck. After learning why it looks the way it does, it makes more sense visually and I appreciate it more.

I can’t wait to see a cybertruck on the road.....just get out of its way.

Reactions: MacGreiner
Cybertruck already made an appearance in a Saturday Night Live sketch as Andrew Yangs choice for VP. 4:48 in the video:

Supercar Blondie has over 800,000 views on her Cybertruck video

MKBHD has 6 million views on his first CT video and another 2.3 million on a second

Marques Brownlee

Cybertruck is blowing up across the world, and some of you still think it was a mistake? What would have been a success?
Is this how we measure success nowadays - by YouTube views? If the masses adopt this, great - Tesla succeeded in getting the world to buy a radical looking vehicle. No one is disputing the power train and battery related specs. I’m still interested to see crash test results, headlight performance, if there are Mode X like axle issues given the range of the dynamic suspension, etc.

I know he's a billionaire but I feel bad for Elon.... He seemed really proud of the truck but when the windows broke, the air was let out of the room and he himself seemed deflated. He then ran through the specs (which are impressive AF) and just wanted to get off that stage.... :(

I'm not sure why this is perceived as such an OMG moment ?? They are obviously going to fix this !!

Reactions: PACEMD and gavine
Hey everyone: I, like many here, placed a preorder and will be getting one. Here's my opinion and what moved me to instantly want the Cybertruck:

I'm 44 years old and I'm tired of the movie remakes, uninspiring music, rehash after rehash... anytime I get to see something truly "new", as rare as it is these days, I'm relieved that the entire world isn't scared to innovate.. and Tesla's innovation hasn't disappointed me yet. When I sit in my current MS and M3 and watch Netflix while chauffeuring my wife and kids around, with Tesla so far, I'm happy with the product culture of this company. When I first saw the Model 3, I didn't like the front design... ask me today, and I'll give you a long list on why I think the Model 3 is the greatest car ever made for the price.

It's about to be 2020 and for people in my generation, as kids we were promised flying cars, teleportation, and lightsabers... but Tesla and Elon are delivering.. and for people my age, I never been able to buy a KITT, but these Tesla cars are the closest thing to it.

I tell you what, I plan to get a matte black Cybertruck should that really be an option... and Tesla is telling me I can have a personal armored tank-like vehicle that can take a few sledgehammer hits unscathed and can stop a 9mm bullet, drive itself on the highway and allow me to watch Knight Rider on Hulu while Supercharging... starting at $40k?!?!?

Man, if I wanted a F150 I would buy a F150, never did, never will.

This will be my daily driver alternating with my S and with a 30X cold-rolled stainless-steel unibody, stay out my way on the road!

Last thought: There's people out there, that work hard, good hearted people, that will never be a celebrity, make a zillion dollars, will just get up every day and put their best foot forward... This person can afford an entry $40k M3 or Cybertruck and get the best car technology at any price... Kudos to Tesla for making this driving experience accessible to all.

Remember the "early version" of the Model X reveal? The Model X that hit the market was refined.. Cybertruck will be refined as well by release:

Last edited: