Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - damaged neighbor property

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While working on installing solar panels on roof, they dropped a tile by accident and damaged my neighbor’s wooden fence who was obviously not too happy about it. What is the process to file a claim with tesla so that this can be fixed or reimbursed?

We had some property damage with our solar roof installation. Tesla were super responsive and on top of repair work. They offered to do some of it themselves but some of the work needed additional expertise. My onsite project lead connected me with an escalations manager who essentially had me send in a paid invoice, photos, etc.. and they cut me a check. I would make sure to get approval before spending any money and keep close records. It's not the most efficient process but it was all very above board and in good faith.

go to home depot and buy a couple of boards.. not worth the time on the phone and mailing stuff in.

If I was the neighbor, unless you make / repair fences for a living, that would not be acceptable to me. Thats fine if its your own property that was damaged, but not if it was someone elses (in my opinion).

I would expect tesla to pay for it to be taken care of professionally. The last thing someone should want is some sort of ongoing beef with a neighbor over something like this.

If I was the neighbor, unless you make / repair fences for a living, that would not be acceptable to me. Thats fine if its your own property that was damaged, but not if it was someone elses (in my opinion).

I would expect tesla to pay for it to be taken care of professionally. The last thing someone should want is some sort of ongoing beef with a neighbor over something like this.
Wow, I in many cases do better work than a "professional". I would just fix the fence to be equal or better than it was.

Wow, I in many cases do better work than a "professional". I would just fix the fence to be equal or better than it was.
I would expect my installer to leave my property the same or better than when my project started.

If I have to spend 2 or 3 hours cutting, sanding and staining due to a workers butterfingers, I would not be stoked. My time is money on every single day.

Professionals clean their own mess up. It sounds like this will be something Tesla will take care of as long as you coordinate it and wait a bit for the reimbursement.

Reactions: preilly44
assuming i want to keep good relations with my neighbor I would go as far as to pay myself for prof repair agreed upon by said neighbor .. then i would go thru process of being reimbursed with tesla I have seen some basic wood fences and some really nice wood fences so a lot of variables
point here is i think some of us see it from neighbors point of view ..and I would try and make them whole as quickly and easily as possible for them .. regardless of Tesla's shortcomings.. no its not my fault tesla jacked up my neighbors fence .. but more so its not my neighbors' fault I chose Tesla

I would expect my installer to leave my property the same or better than when my project started.

If I have to spend 2 or 3 hours cutting, sanding and staining due to a workers butterfingers, I would not be stoked. My time is money on every single day.

Professionals clean their own mess up. It sounds like this will be something Tesla will take care of as long as you coordinate it and wait a bit for the reimbursement.
Not always are professionals clean up their own mess. I have some Professional texture guys doing repair work in my house. They did not put plastic down on my brand new hardwood floors and made a HUGE mess everywhere!!!!!!!! We are now trying to see how we repair the floors. Can we do sections, or are we going to have to redue 3000 sw feet. So trust me, over the years I have seen MANY professionals screw stuff up!!!!!

Not always are professionals clean up their own mess. I have some Professional texture guys doing repair work in my house. They did not put plastic down on my brand new hardwood floors and made a HUGE mess everywhere!!!!!!!! We are now trying to see how we repair the floors. Can we do sections, or are we going to have to redue 3000 sw feet. So trust me, over the years I have seen MANY professionals screw stuff up!!!!!

i would simply argue these are not professionals as @Vines was stating .. i think you are being too generous in referring to them as professional

Last edited:
Reactions: CSFTN
i would simply argue these are not professionals as @Vines was stating .. i think you are being too generous in referring to them as professional
Nope, all these folks were professionals. I have had to take on contractor to the contractors board and won it all. Again, in many cases my opinion of what quality means is REAL different than the professionals. 99% of the, they are told to just do things as cheaply as possible. I drive them nuts since I tell them to do things as if it were there home!