Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Dash Cam Install and Now Tesla wants $420 to UnDoIt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All modern cars have BMS monitoring their 12V battery, and rate of charge/dis-charge.
Some BMWs even use Lithium Ion 12V batteries these days.
Tesla's 12V batteries are still old fashioned lead-aced type.

There is nothing unique, or special, about Tesla's 12V wiring and charging that I am aware of.
If you know different, please share the data points.

Do you have any data that substantiates this claim?
Or are you just spreading FUD?

a
I suggest educating yourself before accusing somebody of FUD. The 12V BMS you reference is nothing like what the Model 3 has. If you don’t think so, please enlighten us to the location of the traditional fuse box. The “solid state” circuit breakers in the model 3 also measure current on each circuit and report the values to the car’s OS. If you dig in this forum, you’ll find threads that explain/speculate on this subject. He’s a tidbit from Abstract Ocean:

The Model 3 "Fuses"

All modern cars have BMS monitoring their 12V battery, and rate of charge/dis-charge.
Some BMWs even use Lithium Ion 12V batteries these days.
Tesla's 12V batteries are still old fashioned lead-aced type.

There is nothing unique, or special, about Tesla's 12V wiring and charging that I am aware of.
If you know different, please share the data points.

Do you have any data that substantiates this claim?
Or are you just spreading FUD?

a

I agree Tesla isn’t that special compared to some other modern cars. But that doesn’t mean you don’t still need to be careful hooking anything to a circuit that is always on. As well as hooking up anything at all on any car, on any circuit (including cigarette lighter circuit) these days as far as warranty work goes.

The first thing a tech does when debugging any electrical issue, or uncommon error code, is unplug anything that is plugged in (odb port, cigarette lighter, etc. ). If the tech cannot disconnect something that is hardwired that the manufacturer didn’t install, they might claim “hands off”. Tesla is not unique in that either. It varies by technician, some understand what the possible conflict could be and will look past it and some have no clue and go by the book.