Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla DashCam: High endurance microSD + USB card reader not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m replacing the default USB stick with a combo of High endurance microSD card and a USB stick which has a card reader (links mentioned below). The USB stick has a direct microSD reader and also a card reader (which can have a microSD inserted in it)

However, when I plug the microSD directly into the stick, Tesla gives me a warning “Plug in only one USB device to format” (screenshot attached). When I insert the microSD into a card reader and plug that into the stick, I get the same error. If I remove the microSD and just plug-in the stick, the option to format appears but throws an error “Error while formatting”.

Any help please.

High endurance microSD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NY23WBG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

SD reader USB stick: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D1J88CF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

PS: please no comments convincing me to use SSD. I’ve done my research and planned to use SD cards instead

Attachments

• IMG_1996.jpeg
    IMG_1996.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Stop being hyperbolic. You live in Silver City NM and your electric rate is $0.15/kWh so there's no way your additional usage for cabin overheat protection is even a fractional number of your claim.

Listen, it's your car and your money so you can do whatever you want. Coming on here to act like your some sort of victim though because you're afraid to leave your car's settings at default so they can do what they're engineered to do because "mah kilowatts!" or whatever is needlessly causing others to be concerned over something that's a non-issue.

You seem to steadfastly refuse to understand what you're talking about. If you had bothered to read the manual or my posts then you would have learned that Cabin Overheat Protection stays on for a maximum of 12 hours. Under most circumstances it will have zero effect on the maximum cabin temperature over the course of a week and often over the course of a day.

As I said at the outset of this tangent, I do have COP enabled. I have it in "No A/C" mode because for my use case, A/C mode would be a complete waste of money and energy and would not alter the maximum cabin temperature by one iota over the course of 24 hours because, for me, COP stops working around 8 in the morning or earlier due to the 12 time hour limit.

Since you don't believe me and you don't believe (or didn't read) the Tesla manual, I encourage you to do the experiment yourself. On a hot and sunny day leave your car out in the sun for 24 hours (ending in the late afternoon or early evening) with COP set to whatever you want. You can keep tabs on the cabin temperature with the app. If COP has a significant impact on the cabin temperature after 13 hours then I will profusely apologize to you and I will ask Tesla to correct their manual (and fix my car).

Or simply explain to us how having COP on (with or without A/C) for 12 hours starting around 8 in the evening will have any effect on the maximum temperature the next day when COP is off. Or explain how the car can keep itself cool on hot sunny summer days without opening the windows or running the A/C throughout the day.

I don't think my cost estimates were hyperbolic because the only way I know of to use the car to keep its max cabin temperature down is to run the A/C throughout the day. Every day. The car soaks up a lot of heat sitting out in the sun. I think cooling it would cost more than cooling an insulated room which runs me about $50/month.

Other people have been using the T5 for much longer than I have with no problem. Dax in Ontario is one example. I wondered why the T5 in my car failed early while it works fine for many others and while dozens of other usb drives I've used as part of my work over the past decade are still going strong. My best guess for the early T5 failure was the high temperatures inside my Tesla cabin. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this early failure was a fluke but I have no intention of buying and using another T5 to find out.

Also, you saying I'm acting like a victim is hyperbolic. I did no such thing. For a long time I was an advocate for using usb drives like the Samsung T5 while others advocated for Pro Endurance SD cards. My T5 started to fail early so I switched to an SD card and posted about it here to help others. I also posted my guess about the failure mode to help others. I feel a little chagrined for being wrong about the T5 but I most definitely do not feel like a victim. I'm actually standing up to someone who is acting like a bully. I have no idea why you decided to pick on me instead of learning how COP actually works and perhaps apologizing for your repeated mistakes.

Upvote 0
I’m replacing the default USB stick with a combo of High endurance microSD card and a USB stick which has a card reader (links mentioned below). The USB stick has a direct microSD reader and also a card reader (which can have a microSD inserted in it)

However, when I plug the microSD directly into the stick, Tesla gives me a warning “Plug in only one USB device to format” (screenshot attached). When I insert the microSD into a card reader and plug that into the stick, I get the same error. If I remove the microSD and just plug-in the stick, the option to format appears but throws an error “Error while formatting”.

Any help please.

High endurance microSD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NY23WBG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

SD reader USB stick: Amazon.co.uk

PS: please no comments convincing me to use SSD. I’ve done my research and planned to use SD cards instead

I use the same card but with a capacity of 256GB so I think the reader is to blame. Change to a sandisk reader and there will be no problem.

SanDisk MobileMate UHS-I microSD Reader/Writer USB 3.0 Reader
SanDisk 256GB High Endurance microSDXC card for IP cams & dash cams

Upvote 0