Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Dashcam - Proof of Idiot Causing Intentional Accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The "good stuff" starts around 2 minutes and 30 seconds into the video I uploaded.

LOVE HAVING THE DASHCAM! Without it, this would have been considered my fault in Indiana and most everywhere else since I rear-ended him.

Just wanted to share with everyone this idiot that decides to come from nowhere and cause me to rear-end his Camaro.

You'll see that morning I'm driving along as I normally would in the morning minding my own business and not trying to race around anyone nor did I have road rage whatsoever. I mean come on...it's 6 am...This Indy Car Camaro SS comes out of nowhere and starts riding my butt. I wish I had rear camera footage too and not really sure why Tesla hasn't enabled that to be saved yet... But anyway, you'll see I never leave the road / the markings of the lanes and this guy decides to race in front of me and slam on his brakes after repeatedly trying to race around me outside of the lanes before the exit and on the exit ramp. 100% his fault and he clearly had road rage and was in a hurry it appears and intentionally made me rear-end his vehicle. I wasn't baiting him to race, I wasn't trying to piss him off, I was in my lane the entire time and tried to get over after the exit as soon as possible so that the guy would leave me alone, stop tailgating me, and go about his way/day.

....OK, so what did the police and your insurance company say? And what did the driver say when you exchanged information? Did you inform him/her that he had been recorded? Curious minds want to know.....Maybe your brake lights were flashing on and off--sort of a fake 'brake check' that Teslas are known for....

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Did you inform him/her that he had been recorded?

This is always an interesting question when you are running a dash cam. When I was in an accident with my dash cam on, I said nothing to the other person about a recording. Mainly because I needed to get home to see if the footage actually saved and was on the card. I did tell the cops I had a dash cam, then sent the footage to them for the report.

Now I keep one of those little sim poppers on my keychain, so that I could pop out the memory slot on my phone and check the dash cam microSD card on the fly. I need to get an adapter so I can check the TeslaCam footage too (I still run a BlackVue in my 3).

This is always an interesting question when you are running a dash cam. When I was in an accident with my dash cam on, I said nothing to the other person about a recording. Mainly because I needed to get home to see if the footage actually saved and was on the card. I did tell the cops I had a dash cam, then sent the footage to them for the report.

Now I keep one of those little sim poppers on my keychain, so that I could pop out the memory slot on my phone and check the dash cam microSD card on the fly. I need to get an adapter so I can check the TeslaCam footage too (I still run a BlackVue in my 3).

I also use Blackvue dual front-rear dashcams in our Teslas. You can just turn the WiFi ON with a tap of the button on the Blackvue, then use your smartphone and review the video to see if you captured the event. No need to dismount the SD card and fumble with it (...really small and I have dropped it in the car on more than 1 occasion).

Gee, that is a really interesting video. first to say glad this didn't turn out to be something really nasty and that you escaped it ok. Just a guess, but sure seems to me that he is annoyed by your normal speed limit driving and really wanted to get around you. Looks like you are doing nice driving to me. HOWEVER, when you came out of that exit and onto the next highway, I would not have taken several lanes at once. That is a bit risky and might be where he was going to try and go around you to the left side but he couldn't. He probably got upset that you did that. Certainly that is no excuse for him to come unglued and cause an accident. If he is really in that much of a hurry, he could just keep going. Yup, it does look purposeful to me. I hope they send him to jail and take his license for a while. His actions could have caused some serious injuries or even chain collisions. I will be nice to know how this whole thing turns out.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
I also use Blackvue dual front-rear dashcams in our Teslas. You can just turn the WiFi ON with a tap of the button on the Blackvue, then use your smartphone and review the video to see if you captured the event. No need to dismount the SD card and fumble with it (...really small and I have dropped it in the car on more than 1 occasion).

In my accident power was cut to the blackvue. Was using the OBD port for power ( I didnt have the mirror extra connector on my 2013) and that side of the car was damaged.

Also, the HV batteries are disabled after a crash and the 12V doesnt last long (and is best spent opening all your powered doors like the frunk and trunk and glovebox and deleting your personal data before it dies) Best to have a backup plan for getting footage onsite.

• Helpful