Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Dashcam SD card help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I purchased an SanDisk High Endurance 128 microSD card with a SanDisk adapter to replace my Tesla thumb drive in my MY. I did some research and saw that I have format the sd card. I have a Mac and formatted it as a MS-DOS (FAT), selecting the "Master Boot Record" option. I didn't want to partition because this SD card will only be used for sentry/dashcam, so I don't need to have music in it. So I placed the SD card in my car and at first it didn't recognize it. So I formatted it again but this time using the Tesla operating system. It worked for a little bit, the camera icon showed up on my screen and then a few minutes later disappeared. Does that mean my car is not recognizing the sd card? Why? Did I do something wrong? Miss a step? Thanks for the help!

So I purchased an SanDisk High Endurance 128 microSD card with a SanDisk adapter to replace my Tesla thumb drive in my MY. I did some research and saw that I have format the sd card. I have a Mac and formatted it as a MS-DOS (FAT), selecting the "Master Boot Record" option. I didn't want to partition because this SD card will only be used for sentry/dashcam, so I don't need to have music in it. So I placed the SD card in my car and at first it didn't recognize it. So I formatted it again but this time using the Tesla operating system. It worked for a little bit, the camera icon showed up on my screen and then a few minutes later disappeared. Does that mean my car is not recognizing the sd card? Why? Did I do something wrong? Miss a step? Thanks for the help!
I just plugged in and format with the car. It has been fine. Try to format again.

I would suggest formatting the microSD card using the Tesla Dashcam/Sentry Mode Viewer. The Tesla software now supports exFAT and NTFS in addition to the older FAT32 format. I would accept the default settings when formatting the card. My setup is similar; SanDisk USB adapter with the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB microSD card. This storage solution has been working flawlessly for more than a year.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
After you format the microSD card or USB thumb drive on a computer you have to manually create the /TeslaCam folder. If you let the Tesla Dashcam / Sentry Mode Viewer format the storage device this folder is automatically created. There is no longer need to use the older FAT32 file format. The Tesla software now supports exFAT and NTFS file systems.

Reactions: GeekyDoc