Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla day at the Capitol - March 6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
Let's have big turnout for Tesla day at the Capitol on March 6 to show our support for direct sales. Our legislators should be embarrassed that Tesla can sell cars in China but can't sell them in Texas.

Here is the link to register:
Tesla Capitol Day and Legislative Briefing in Texas

I'm attaching a photo of Elon arriving at the Capitol for Tesla day in the 2015 session. (No, I'm not starting a rumor that he's coming this year).
IMG_0464.JPG

I can't go, but have pointed out couple things on Facebook that might be worth bringing up.

Hyundai Dealers Reportedly Price Gouging On Kona Electric - I encountered this when I went to buy my first Honda S2000. Dealerships were asking for massive markups, so I ended up not buying. Don't recall the specifics, but this site lists examples such as one in Dallas asked $47K and another in Lewisville asked $46.4K for a car that was listed at $32.4K.

Another things was Smart brand’s move to all-electric results in losing 2/3 of US dealerships . I checked Smart's site for Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio and could only find a Smart dealership left in Sugar Land, all others are gone.

there is also that they've tied EV credits to dealership delivery, paying in full before shipping.
One year instead of two for stickers, unable to contact service center directly etc etc
All because TX politicians are bought and paid for by the deep pockets of the dealership lobby

Reactions: SpiceWare
Hmmm... Frankly, given Tesla's penchant for pivoting to new strategies, I would think it would be worth it to continue with the lobbying effort on this issue to get these franchise dealership protectionist types of laws changed. Even if today they no longer plan to try for direct sales in TX (or other states with similar restrictions), 6 months or a few years from now that could change again. Better to keep what momentum they'd established moving forward on it so that should they go back to more traditional sales, there won't be the same barriers. Plus seems like weak sauce to give up on an issue just because it is no longer that important to your immediate future plans. These political fights are supposed to be about more than just direct personal benefit.

1 year inspection instead of two isn't a loss in that you pay double, just lose the hassle of inspection in year two. Tesla told me it was something silly like the car was a transfer and not inspected by an instate dealer/seller so some crap...

1 year inspection instead of two isn't a loss in that you pay double, just lose the hassle of inspection in year two. Tesla told me it was something silly like the car was a transfer and not inspected by an instate dealer/seller so some crap...
Here's something pretty ridiculous. My car was inventory (I suspect it may have been showroom). It was built in August 2018, inspected in San Antonio in October 2018, then shipped to Houston in December 2018 where it was inspected AGAIN. And it will need its next inspection January 2020! That will be one well-inspected zero-emission car!