TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla DC charging network

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by dsm363, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

BTW, assuming that the cost of the second charger, $1,500, includes a bit of profit... the just announced prices mean that the hardware cost of a Supercharger might be around $12k - $15k.

2. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

3. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

That's the indoor base spec. The outdoor version would then be $10K. That's for 50 kW (rated input is 49kW). If you multiply by 90kW/50kW, you get $18k. So actually more expensive.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Thanks, but Buffalo is way off my route. I'm in Eastern Ontario, not Southern. Ottawa is to the north of Ogdensburg, although I'd go a little to the west and drive down 81. There's a KOA in Ganonoque where I can top up before crossing the border.

I can get there from Ganonoque. If it's not too far East, that may be a viable solution. Where is it, exactly?

(Sorry this is getting a little off-topic, but at least it's about charging on highways...)

5. tomsax

tomsax Member

This seems really bad to me. The bigger the battery, the less you need quick charging. For most people, road trips are rare which makes it silly to invest in a gigantic 300-mile battery pack that you only use 10% to 20% of the capacity a regular basis, while it loses capacity with both time and miles. Is it really worth it to own such a giant battery for the rare road trip? Unless you do it a lot, just rent a gas car for those trips.

The LEAF is a terrible road trip car, even with DCQC. In Tesla terms, the LEAF has a range of about 85 "ideal miles", which means you have to stop for 30 minutes for every hour of driving. That's just painful. The 160-mile Model S is a huge improvement over that, but only if it has access to DCQC. Without DCQC, it's only good for local driving, so it's just a LEAF at twice the price.

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Nail. Head. Hit.

7. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Quite, and it has the range with home charging only (more or less), which with a Leaf you get only with the one recommended/convenient QC per day, provided there is a charger where you need it.

8. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

This same logic would lead you to the conclusion that a Honda Fit and a BMW 330 are good substitutes. They aren't; even if it's only an "around town" car, a Model S offers a level of comfort, style, finish, space, etc. that a Leaf doesn't begin to approach.

9. tomsax

tomsax Member

Have you driven a LEAF? It's a pretty sweet ride. It's comfortable and roomy. The controls are well thought out, with plenty of tactile buttons that let you do things without taking your eyes off the road. With the cold weather package you get the usual heated seats (front and rear), plus a heated steering wheel, the most decadent luxury I've ever had in a car.

I'm not saying the Model S isn't a nicer car, perhaps it is, but removing DCQC (and turn-by-turn navigation, and automatic keyless entry) from the base model moves it a whole lot closer to a LEAF. I find that disappointing.

10. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Has Tesla announced where the super chargers will be? I've scanned the thread, but didn't see the answer.

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Looks like the first one will be at Harris Ranch from the article linked below
    Bucking Trends, Tesla Goes It Alone on Plug Design - NYTimes.com

12. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

The announcement is said to be this month or February. So far only Harris Ranch is a known location.

13. neroden

neroden Model S Owner and Frustrated Tesla Fan

The answer is "no, Tesla has not announced where the super chargers will be".

There was a statement that the first one would be between SF and LA. That's all we've actually heard out of Tesla; no idea where the second one will be!

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Tesla To Launch Rapid Charging Station Between San Francisco and LA

15. neroden

OK, my research is actually finding more places than last time. *But most of them are only open seasonally*.

The one I was thinking of is Green Lakes State Park, in Fayetteville. It has a number of 50 amp camping spots. Two state parks in the Finger Lakes area also have some 50 amp service: Filmore Glen (in Moravia) and Watkins Glen. *But they all have May-October seasons*, so you'd better not be planning to travel during the fall, winter, or spring.

There's also A KOA further north with 50 amp service. 1000 Islands / Association Island | Camping in New York | KOA Campgrounds
    Again, May-October.

This realization caused me to try a different filter on my searches. "Year round" :wink:

Frost Ridge Campground in Le Roy appears to be year-round and have 50 amp service, but it's west of Rochester.

I haven't found anything else good for November-April yet.

(Perhaps this should be moved to a more suitable thread?)

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Thanks for the info... and yeah, a thread on "Charging in NY" would be very helpful!

I've been wondering if there were some Nissan dealerships in upstate NY that would be friendly enough to allow a Tesla visitor...

17. neroden

Make that "upstate NY" because "NYC and Long Island" is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Hmm, good question. I'm not sure how many Nissan dealerships in upstate actually have suitably fast charging equipment, though; I don't think the one in Ithaca does, though I may be able to check. The Leaf rollout is actually kind of slow in some ways. It's easy enough to find the Syracuse Nissan dealers on the web though; if you call them up, do tell us what you find out.

18. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

This article is a bit of a teaser.

Tesla in final stages of Model S prep; readying Supercharger network for road trips

Of course the big question is when does Tesla intend to install those 30 or so Superchargers and where.

Larry

19. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

I wonder whether "fewer than 30" is enough for a complete "H". I need to look it up, but I think originally it was about 40 locations that Elon had in mind. But however many Tesla starts with, the important part is this: "Once this basic network is in place, more out-of-the-way routes could get Superchargers."

20. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I assume those initial locations will completely leave out most of the midwest and south. I wonder if the east west route will be I-80. I really don't see how 30 locations is a good enough rollout though.