Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla DC charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Route across I-90? Seems unlikely to me at this point, as there's nothing sizeable, for a long time, on I-90.

The next city of even moderate size is Missoula, MT, about 200 miles from Spokane. Montana is so spread out you're not going to get any stops near the 150 mile distance. Of course, if you want to build your own string of restaurants.....

fullinterstatemap-web.jpg

Ideal map to find the most important points to put chargers!

Yes, this is a very useful map, but it is not ideal.

For example, folks wanting to make the trip from Fort Myers, Florida to Miami, Florida will not first drive 2.5 hours out of their way North to Tampa, then take Rt. 4 East to Daytona Beach, then drive down to Miami. They will take I-75 South and then across Alligator Alley East to Fort Lauderdale then South to Miami. This of course doesn't pertain just to folks in Fort Myers. Folks generally don't drive North to go South, :wink: so most people South of Tampa are going to drive South and cross the state at another West to East arterial other than Rt 4.

In other words I'm suggesting that they need a Supercharger on Alligator Alley (I-75) even though its not shown on the simplified Interstate map.

Larry

I think Telsa needs to deploy their network quickly. They decided to go it alone with their standard and need to step up. In Texas, we could start with 4 or 5 chargers to cover travel between the 4 major cities. I hope they don't delay other installations for a few years.

I don't believe anyone posted this yet. Telsa used to state that Supercharging could attain 80% charge in 45 minutes. That has changed slightly to 50% in 30 minutes.

Charging
Plug In Anywhere

Model S comes standard with everything you need to plug into the most common 240-volt outlet, standard 120-volt wall outlets and public stations. With a High Power Wall Connector and Twin Chargers, Model S can be recharged at the rate of 62 miles range per hour. A fifty-percent charge in thirty minutes can be achieved with a Tesla Supercharger

I don't believe anyone posted this yet. Telsa used to state that Supercharging could attain 80% charge in 45 minutes. That has changed slightly to 50% in 30 minutes.

Charging
Plug In Anywhere

Model S comes standard with everything you need to plug into the most common 240-volt outlet, standard 120-volt wall outlets and public stations. With a High Power Wall Connector and Twin Chargers, Model S can be recharged at the rate of 62 miles range per hour. A fifty-percent charge in thirty minutes can be achieved with a Tesla Supercharger

We'll have to see what the announcement is in June. I really hope there are two chargers per location and an additional 80A HPC. We'll see.

Charging
Plug In Anywhere

So charging speed has dropped a little (80% in 45min is 1.33C, 50% in 30 minutes is 1C) and the target charge has also dropped (from 80% to 50%). It's probably so there would be less stress on the pack (esp. for the 60kWh one).

If they build supercharger locations here in Europe (as they should (or minimally include CHAdeMO), or I will rethink my reservation), I want each location to have two 90 kW DC superchargers, and at least two 30 kW AC three phase charging points. Superchargers will be out of commission from time to time, as there are electronics involved, but 30 kW AC is just a dumb connection to the nearest tranformer, so it should be very reliable. This means that pretty much the worst case if you pull up to a charging location and one supercharger isn't working, and the other supercharger is occupied with two additional cars waiting to be charged, you'll be at the location for 2 hours instead of 45 minutes. That, I can survive.

Having to charge on a 230V 40A point for 7 hours would be unacceptable, though.