Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla DC donation to City of West Palm Beach -- 38 EVSE + installation across 3 city garages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
https://www.wpb.org/getmedia/10cef510-a9a6-4d7e-9572-6d02c838b5c2/ACM-22241-Resolution-No-373-18; [PDF]; Approved as item 18 of the Consent Calendar at City Commission meeting on 2018-12-17 [PDF]

"Tesla Motors reached out to the City of West Palm Beach as part of their Destination Charging Program, which provides free electric vehicle charging stations to locations throughout the United States to bolster EV charging infrastructure. Tesla has agreed to donate, at no cost to the City, 19 single-port Tesla-specific charging stations, as well as 19 single-port universal EV charging stations, valued at $85,416.90. Signage, installation, activation, programming, and testing of charging units will also be included in this donation, and will be performed by Tesla’s installer, Envirospark Energy Solutions, Inc. ....

The charging stations will be distributed throughout the Evernia, Clematis, and City Center Garages to meet growing public demand in the Downtown area. The existing defunct and inoperable public charging stations on the third floor of the Clematis garage will be replaced with these new charging stations."

Details:
Clematis Garage. Two existing ChargePoint stations on the 3rd floor will be replaced with two universal plug stations. The remaining stations will be installed in a line next to the existing ChargePoint stations on level 5. [8 HPWC; 8 J1772 total, including those being replaced]

City Center Garage. The ChargePoint station on the lowest level will be replaced with a universal plug station. The remaining stations will be installed in a line next to the existing ChargePoint stations on the 2nd level of the garage. [6 HPWC; 6 J1772 total, including the one being replaced]

Evernia Garage. Stations will be installed on the 3rd floor up-ramp. [5 HPWC; 5 J1772]

So, reading the whole document a bit more thoroughly, it included this about the timeline for the project:
Delivery/Installation Time/ Terms: All Equipment shall be delivered and Installation Services shall be completed by March 31, 2019
I'm sort of surprised that section didn't include any caveats to allow for delays incurred by the permitting process. Even if the contract didn't explicitly say so, that's always an issue to keep in mind anyways. But at least it looks like they've set a decently short time period for completion of the project.

So, reading the whole document a bit more thoroughly, it included this about the timeline for the project:

I'm sort of surprised that section didn't include any caveats to allow for delays incurred by the permitting process. Even if the contract didn't explicitly say so, that's always an issue to keep in mind anyways. But at least it looks like they've set a decently short time period for completion of the project.

What I am always surprised by is the city and other cities are paying for the electricity. I am not complaining, believe me, but there are plenty I am sure, that if they knew, even though the equipment is free, that the city was footing the bill for the electricity going forward into the near perpetuity, they would be rattled for sure.

Of course they also may buy an electric car and use the facilities, thats what this is all really about anyway, get everyone to switch over their cars and minds.

This is great news!

I used to use the ChargePoint stations in the Clematis Garage all the time. Now they are always occupied (Interestingly, mostly by hybrids - at least they are a step in the right direction).

Way to go Tesla!!