Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla dealerships getting ready for new MYs and M3s?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I walked by our local Tesla store in Mission Viejo, CA yesterday and noticed they did not have any demo cars as they always do. They always had a M3 and a MY for people to check out in the store. Has anyone else noticed the same in their local stores? I am speculating they are getting ready to soon demo the 2022 models?

I walked by our local Tesla store in Mission Viejo, CA yesterday and noticed they did not have any demo cars as they always do. They always had a M3 and a MY for people to check out in the store. Has anyone else noticed the same in their local stores? I am speculating they are getting ready to soon demo the 2022 models?

They likely just sold them (as they attempt to do every quarter for sales numbers).

As stated above, its not technically a "dealership". Its a "Service Center". End of quarters always mean to sell all remaining stock, including demos, etc. Here in Rhode Island at the Warwick SC, they didnt have a demo for the longest time early to mid 2021. Like, zero demos! HA!

I love how people deviate from the main topic in this forum and focus on explaining what a Tesla “dealership” is or isn’t.

They did the same before introducing the plaid model S and X. Our local Tesla dealership had no model S or X for test drives. Even though current model Ys are being sold as 2022 model, they are not. As evident by many forum posts, everyone is waiting for the real 2022 upgraded version.

Yeah it’s probably due to selling all available units including test drive vehicles at the end of a quarter. I don’t think it really matters a whole lot what new features are present on the demos it’s more about the driving experience than anything else. Anyway, since the wait time for delivery is still about six months, there’s really almost zero chance that the vehicle you test drive will be appointed with the exact same features as the one that is delivered.

first of all there's no such thing as dealership with Tesla-medias use the term as they're still stuck in the dinosaur age. Tesla sells everything @ the end of every quarter.
Call it what you want, I don’t know how they do it in CA, but here in NC the Raleigh location is legally a dealership. I received delivery from the CLT service center but the dealer of record when you register the vehicle is Raleigh. I could characterize myself as a person that possesses advance physical thermal insulation; but the truth is I’m just fat.

Call it what you want, I don’t know how they do it in CA, but here in NC the Raleigh location is legally a dealership. I received delivery from the CLT service center but the dealer of record when you register the vehicle is Raleigh. I could characterize myself as a person that possesses advance physical thermal insulation; but the truth is I’m just fat.
Improve your heat dissipation efficiency by reducing physical thermal insulation density by 20%. Thanks for the laugh btw.

I love how people deviate from the main topic in this forum and focus on explaining what a Tesla “dealership” is or isn’t.

They did the same before introducing the plaid model S and X. Our local Tesla dealership had no model S or X for test drives. Even though current model Ys are being sold as 2022 model, they are not. As evident by many forum posts, everyone is waiting for the real 2022 upgraded version.
Your sample size may be too small. In June (EoQ) 2021 both the nearest (to Western New York in the US) Service Center and the nearest Store/Gallery were out of demo vehicles for about a month. More distant locations, Cleveland/Brooklyn, had them. If you look now centered on Brooklyn you can test in New Jersey or centered on Walnut Creek you can test in Sunnyvale.

As an aside, Tesla continues to sell every car they make, not everyone is waiting for "real" 2022 models.

There are salespeople there, a service center, a place to sit, and demo cars to look at and drive. As far as I'm concerned, they're dealerships. I know that legally they are not, but for all intents and purposes, they are to your average car buyer.
They are not sales people they are sales advisers. Big difference. One try to sell you something other ones help you on your way out with car you bought online.

I disagree with most people on here. The new model y/3s will have the new AMD and a few other upgrades so it makes sense if Tesla sends those to their stores. They also sold their current inventory/demos for the end of quarter so it aligns nicely.

Reactions: Zebelkhan

Not sure what you mean by “real”. Model years are in name only, additions (and sometimes subtractions) are done year round. For example you’ll see 2021 Ys without heated steering wheel, some with the heated steering wheel but without the new console, some with and without the passenger lumbar system etc etc. The 2022 Y won’t be a “refresh” like we’ve seen with the S and the X. Doesn’t make much sense to wait for any feature in particular. I think that it is more due to selling what they have before the end of the quarter, as mentioned above.

Finally someone else who thinks the same. I was losing hope
The vehicle that was delivered to me in February last year had a heated steering wheel, new headlights, anti-glare side view mirrors, and wipers with additional spray heads; yet my test drive vehicle did not. Additionally no one at the service center even mentioned that those things were coming (this was a few weeks after the end of the same quarter). Tesla sold all of the test drive vehicles; you can't read into the absence of demos. New features might be imminent, but this is not proof that they are.

Reactions: WhiteWi
The vehicle that was delivered to me in February last year had a heated steering wheel, new headlights, anti-glare side view mirrors, and wipers with additional spray heads; yet my test drive vehicle did not. Additionally no one at the service center even mentioned that those things were coming (this was a few weeks after the end of the same quarter). Tesla sold all of the test drive vehicles; you can't read into the absence of demos. New features might be imminent, but this is not proof that they are.
I never said that’s proof. I speculated that it might be a sign. No one else seemed to think the same. So I was excited I am not alone.

Not sure what you mean by “real”. Model years are in name only, additions (and sometimes subtractions) are done year round. For example you’ll see 2021 Ys without heated steering wheel, some with the heated steering wheel but without the new console, some with and without the passenger lumbar system etc etc. The 2022 Y won’t be a “refresh” like we’ve seen with the S and the X. Doesn’t make much sense to wait for any feature in particular. I think that it is more due to selling what they have before the end of the quarter, as mentioned above.
If you are following the Tesla news along then you know what I mean. If you don’t, then there is no point in arguing over it here. If that’s your thought process you should take delivery of anything that is handed to you. Some of us would prefer delaying delivery for a few weeks but instead get 4680 battery, AMD Ryzen, new headlights, rear double glass pane, etc.

If you are following the Tesla news along then you know what I mean. If you don’t, then there is no point in arguing over it here. If that’s your thought process you should take delivery of anything that is handed to you. Some of us would prefer delaying delivery for a few weeks but instead get 4680 battery, AMD Ryzen, new headlights, rear double glass pane, etc.
I took delivery in January 2021 and didn’t know what was coming a few weeks later (such as the new console) and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. I would have hated to wait a couple of months for things like the new console, and have to pay 2k or 3k more than I paid. If you wait for the next thing, you will never buy anything. As soon as something is out, there are rumors of the next cool addition circulating. The 4680 battery for example has been rumored for as long as I have been a member here (10 months) and still no sign of it. I legitimately feel bad for someone who has been waiting for it this whole time and hasn’t benefited from driving the car. Worst part is the first people with the 4680 battery out of Austin will essentially be beta testers.
Until there is a true refresh in 3 or 4 years, I don’t really see the point in waiting for the next thing to be added, as you also run the risk of getting things removed (radar, passenger lumbar in 2021) and the price going up.

Reactions: WhiteWi