Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Debuts Model Y Crossover SUV – 7 Seats, 300 Miles of Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla unveiled its latest vehicle Thursday night – the Model Y crossover SUV.

As expected, the vehicle blends the design language of both the Model 3 sedan and the Model X SUV. In an effort to streamline production, the Model Y shares 75% of parts with the Model 3.

Screen-Shot-2019-03-15-at-12.34.50-AM.png
The vehicle is also offered in the same configurations as the Model 3 – Standard, Long Range RWD, Dual Motor AWD, and Performance.

Model Y Performance specs:

Battery – Long Range

Acceleration – 3.5s 0-60 mph

Range – 280 miles (EPA est.)

Drive – Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Seating – Up to 7 Adults

Wheels – 20″ Performance Wheels

Max Cargo Volume – 65 cu ft

Top Speed – 150 mph

Displays – 15″ Center Touchscreen

Supercharging – Pay Per Use

Price: $60,000

Deliveries: Fall 2020

Model Y Dual Motor AWD specs:

Battery – Long Range

Acceleration – 4.8s 0-60 mph

Range – 280 miles (EPA est.)

Drive – Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive

Seating – Up to 7 Adults

Wheels – 18″ or 19″

Top Speed – 135 mph

Price: $51,000

Model Y Long Range RWD specs:

Battery – Long Range

Acceleration – 5.5s 0-60 mph

Range – 300 miles (EPA est.)

Drive – Rear-Wheel Drive

Seating – Up to 7 Adults

Wheels – 18″ or 19″

Top Speed – 130 mph

Price: $47,000

Model Y Standard specs:

Battery – Standard

Acceleration – 5.9s 0-60 mph

Range – 230 miles (EPA est.)

Drive – Rear-Wheel Drive

Seating – Up to 7 Adults

Wheels – 18″ or 19″

Top Speed – 120 mph

Price: $39,000

Deliveries: Spring 2021

Screen-Shot-2019-03-15-at-12.34.16-AM.png
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk opened the presentation saying “There was a time when electric cars seemed very stupid.”

He then rolled out every vehicle produced by Tesla – Roadster, Model S, Model X, Model 3, the next-gen Roadster and the Semi. Musk said the company has produced about 550,000 cars to date and will hit a million in the next 12 months.

He said he expects the Model Y to outsell the Model S and X combined.

Following the presentation from the Tesla Design Center in Los Angeles, the automaker quickly updated its website to accept orders for the the Model Y. See more details at Model Y | Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people who don't live on the coasts can finance a Tesla just with the housing savings alone vs. residents of CA, NY, etc.

Our household income is around that (maybe slightly more) and while it may not have been the most fiscally-responsible decision I've ever made, I'm certainly in no danger of defaulting on my payments anytime soon.

That's cool. I'm guessing you got the full tax credit which definitely brings the cost down significantly. At the end of the day, it's all personal choice and what you are willing to trade off.

Again, the point of my post before things went sideways was to say that comparing the price of a Model 3 today versus the price of the Y when it starts delivery in 2020 is only useful if you factor in the tax credit of the Model 3 in 2019. There will be no point in time where you can buy a Model Y equally equipped at a lower price than a Model 3 when both are available.

I have been waiting for a long time for a 7 seat (or more) electric car with a long range (300+ miles) Just last month I put a preorder in for a Rivian 7 seat SUV that is touting 400+ mile range because that was just what I wanted. Now I see Tesla is putting out this 7 seater; I will have to watch and might change over from the Rivian to Tesla.

I have been waiting for a long time for a 7 seat (or more) electric car with a long range (300+ miles) Just last month I put a preorder in for a Rivian 7 seat SUV that is touting 400+ mile range because that was just what I wanted. Now I see Tesla is putting out this 7 seater; I will have to watch and might change over from the Rivian to Tesla.
Tesla’s had the Model X for a while and 100D gets 300 while seating 7, a useable 7 seats too. This Y will only have 5 practical seats