Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Decal for Caliper Paint Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK a few of you were going to wait till it got warm and do the project. Please post pictures and any comments/problems you encountered. I just got my S85 2 weeks ago and really want to paint them red with the G2 system and use the hi temp stickers. To clear or not to clear over them???

OK a few of you were going to wait till it got warm and do the project. Please post pictures and any comments/problems you encountered. I just got my S85 2 weeks ago and really want to paint them red with the G2 system and use the hi temp stickers. To clear or not to clear over them???

NO clear was recommended to me. After 10+ weeks and half a dozen trips to the car wash they still look perfect.

Resurrecting this thread as I want to paint my calipers using the G2 kit and high temp decals. Sounds like I have to have all wheels off the floor and removed to accomplish this. I have a jack that can lift one side up but don't have anything that can have the whole car off the floor. What have the DIY's here used to get the entire car off the ground? Any suggestions on equipment needed, where to buy and approx costs? Thanks much!

Don't know what you can find there, but here I found a local company that are car guys. Jacked up two wheels at a time, used floor jacks, wrapped all 6 (six) calipers, and a re-torqued wheels to specs I gave them. Then wrapped four door pulls, front and back "T"s and the "T" in the center of the steering wheel. Prox 30 minutes per wheel, 10 minutes per door pull and T. Parts and labor $300.00. There is a picture of it somewhere on this site, its the pearl white S with polished stock 19" wheels. Have no idea if this is competitive price or not, don't care.
old burt

Resurrecting this thread as I want to paint my calipers using the G2 kit and high temp decals. Sounds like I have to have all wheels off the floor and removed to accomplish this. I have a jack that can lift one side up but don't have anything that can have the whole car off the floor. What have the DIY's here used to get the entire car off the ground? Any suggestions on equipment needed, where to buy and approx costs? Thanks much!

I suggest getting a couple sets of Jackpoint Jackstands. I have used them for swapping out tires as well as doing other projects.

2014-03-15 14.31.50.jpg
2014-04-25 14.03.39.jpg
2014-04-25 14.54.35.jpg

The owner of Jackpoint Jackstands lives in Batavia, IL and he is quite familiar with the Model S.

I suggest getting a couple sets of Jackpoint Jackstands. I have used them for swapping out tires as well as doing other projects.

The owner of Jackpoint Jackstands lives in Batavia, IL and he is quite familiar with the Model S.

Thanks! Those look awesome. Batavia is not too far from me at all so I could go pick them up.

Btw, what were you trying to get done in the last pic? Cleaning rotors? Did you paint your calipers while you had that nice protection on?

Thanks! Those look awesome. Batavia is not too far from me at all so I could go pick them up.

Btw, what were you trying to get done in the last pic? Cleaning rotors? Did you paint your calipers while you had that nice protection on?

2014-04-25160837_zps883ae931.jpg

Cleaning up the rotor hats and priming/painting. The rust is terrible on the rotor hats. If I have to do this every spring, I wouldn't feel overburdened.

How do people plan to protect the decals once applied so they don't peel off with time/wear/washes etc? I was reading on the G2 caliper paint website and they recommend against clear coats since they tend to yellow and deteriorate (and their paints are already high gloss).

Edit:
Actually, on further thought, instead of the decal, we can get a stencil made (ie instead of peeling away the unused vinyl, peel away the logo parts, making a negative) -- then apply the sticker and paint on the logo, removing the vinyl when dry. This would be much more durable than a sticker. I'm gonna write the ebayer and see if he can do this, instead (or basically ship the decals without bothering to remove the 'background', and leaving the transfer paper on.

I would like to do the same and Paint over a stencil. Durability is more important. however, where do you get fonts or better, what company will do the cutting with the proper letters.

thanks

I have a computer controller cutter (Silhouette Cameo) and I'm about to try so e test cuts of the Tesla logo into painters tape and see how well that works. I'm still deciding the color of my calipers. G2 now makes a lime green that looks appealing to me on my Pearl White. Still debating though.

Steve-

Did you try the Cameo cutter yet? I'm interested in this myself, as I have the Emblem font that I've used for a couple of things in the garage and would probably just apply this way as well.

BTW: what do people think about orange calipers with the blue paint???