TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla deemed as the worst warranty deal in Norway

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Ande, Oct 10, 2017.

  1. Ande

    Ande Member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2017
    Messages:
    61
    Location:
    Norway
    The Norwegian Consumer Council did a big comparative test, and deemed Tesla to have the worst battery capacity warranty/ and the worst total score..

    There are articles in Norwegian media about "no battery capacity warranty"
    Here is the test, (in Norwegian only )
    https://fil.forbrukerradet.no/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/elbil-garantiguiden-1.0-2017-utdypende-tabell.pdf

    and here is a translation of that .pdf:

    Google Translate

    Now and then, some journalist sum it up as "Tesla does not provide ANY capacity warranty, if a new car runs 10km on a charge, that's ok"

    Observe how easy it would be for Tesla to WIN the test, Tesla could win this test anytime, especially after leading strongly in the "unlimited mileage" part.

    I would love to see Tesla fix that .... prettyplease ?
     
    • Informative x 3
  2. Tam

    Tam Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2012
    Messages:
    2,704
    Location:
    Visalia, CA
    It's theoretical.

    In reality, how many Tesla capacity has degraded down to 70% (best non-Tesla warranty) after 5 years since 2012?
     
  3. kort677

    kort677 Active Member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2015
    Messages:
    4,592
    Location:
    florida.
    how do you say FUD in norwegian?
     
    • Like x 1
  4. Ande

    Ande Member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2017
    Messages:
    61
    Location:
    Norway
    - I am not even going to discuss if this is a real "problem" with that or not - what I say, is it's sad to loose on such technicality.

    While we don't doubt Tesla battery packs would hold up even better, putting that down on paper as a warranty, would win such test hands down, and THAT would be cool :) - it would win by a lot too.

    I imagine similar "tests" exists in other, more significant countries too.
     
  5. Tam

    Tam Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2012
    Messages:
    2,704
    Location:
    Visalia, CA
    #5 Tam, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Technically, best warranty is Volkswagen 70% to up to 160,000 km.

    Now, for reality shock: Read what happened to Tesloop Taxi service at 200,000 miles or 320,000 km when its owner said its capacity has lost 6% but the battery gauge was inaccurate and off 10 miles (the car would power down when the battery gauge says you still have 10 more miles): Tesla got them another battery for free!

    That's a replacement for 94% capacity!

    If I want to choose between a technical win of 160,000 km on paper and the actual coverage at 320,000 km, I would pick the reality one any time!
     
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. Ande

    Ande Member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2017
    Messages:
    61
    Location:
    Norway
    I am not arguing... not at all.
    All I say that writing down 200000km /80% , would win those tests ...and as you point out .. it would not cost Tesla more.
    Also, Tesla could, like today, still be flexible on even better terms.

    Our cars have some of the most advanced battery management and cooling/heating there is, noone here doubts they can outperform/outlast those simple competitors, I am just talking about the matter of getting it down on the paper for the purpose of such tests.

    So - nobody needs to convince me in this thread about the durability of the battery packs, or Tesla's willingness to fix it if there should be any issues.
     
  7. Tam

    Tam Active Member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2012
    Messages:
    2,704
    Location:
    Visalia, CA
    I think Tesla sticks to its principle on no warranty on battery degradation because it's more beneficial to owners.

    Capacity loss can be caused by a number of reasons including:

    1) natural battery degradation
    2) a defective cell out of thousands of cells...

    I think in the Tesloop case above, Tesla must have diagnosed that one of the cell module was bad and did the whole pack replacement but not because of battery degradation.

    So, Tesla does cover capacity loss even only 6% with a remaining capacity of 94% as long as it is not because of degradation but because of a defective cell that can no longer hold a charge.
     

Share This Page