Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Delays Semi Deliveries Until 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

There will be no Tesla Semi this year.

The automaker said Wednesday in its Q1 update that deliveries of its highly-anticipated all-electric semi will be pushed to 2021. When the vehicle was debuted in 2017, Tesla expected to deliver the Semi in 2019, then pushed to 2020, now to 2021.

Tesla has reportedly secured thousands of orders for the Semi. Many companies with giant fleets of heavy-duty trucks are waiting on delivery, including Walmart, UPS, PepsiCo, FedEx, and Anheuser-Busch, among others. .

The Semi is expected to have a range of 300-500 miles per charge, which is impressive for a vehicle that can pull 80,000 pounds. 

Tesla also hasn’t announced where it plans to build the Semi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Semi Reservations Tracker -- Google Sheet
Tesla Semi Reservations Tracker

crHEsvI.jpg

This negates the huge advantage they had in being first to market with a mass produced electric semi.

Daimler is set to launch the Freightliner eM2 and eCascadia in 2021 & they are currently loaning test units to Penske to get feedback.
I cannot help to think that competitors have gotten more serious and pushed simply *because* Tesla is moving in this market. That is great for all of us and the country with so many goods moved by 18-wheelers. I can't wait for many of them to have 'AutoSteer' equivalent capabilities as well. That will make some highway driving more comfortable (I-80 comes to mind).

I cannot help to think that competitors have gotten more serious and pushed simply *because* Tesla is moving in this market. That is great for all of us and the country with so many goods moved by 18-wheelers. I can't wait for many of them to have 'AutoSteer' equivalent capabilities as well. That will make some highway driving more comfortable (I-80 comes to mind).

No doubt industry giants like Daimler are being pushed by Tesla.

As far as autonomous trucking, Daimler has acquired a controlling stake in Torc robotics to automate their trucking division, while they continue to work with Bosch to automate their passenger car division.

Daimler's Freightliner is North Americas leading heavy truck manufacturer by far, and they are all in on electric & autonomous trucks.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200