Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Deliveries Dipped in Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla announced disappointing first-quarter delivery figures, a performance it says will negatively impact income.

Late Wednesday, Tesla said it delivered about 63,000 cars in Q1, versus analyst estimates of 76,000 deliveries. That’s down from 90,966 in the fourth quarter. Model 3 deliveries totaled 50,900, also below estimates. Tesla said it produced about 77,100 cars during the quarter.

“Because of the lower than expected delivery volumes and several pricing adjustments, we expect Q1 net income to be negatively impacted,” Tesla said in a release.

The company said complications during the rollout of the Model 3 internationally impacted its numbers.

“Due to a massive increase in deliveries in Europe and China, which at times exceeded 5x that of prior peak delivery levels, and many challenges encountered for the first time, we had only delivered half of the entire quarter’s numbers by March 21, ten days before end of quarter,” Tesla said in a release. “This caused a large number of vehicle deliveries to shift to the second quarter. At the end of the first quarter, approximately 10,600 vehicles were in transit to customers globally.”

The company noted that Model 3 was the best-selling mid-sized premium sedan in North America, selling 60% more units than the runner up. The company reaffirmed prior guidance of 360,000 to 400,000 vehicle deliveries in 2019.

“Despite pull forward of demand from Q1 2019 into Q4 2018 due to the step down in the federal tax credit, US orders for Model 3 vehicles significantly outpaced what we were able to deliver in Q1,” Tesla said.

See Tesla’s letter to investors here.

Last edited by a moderator:
A wagon version of the 3 with a hitch!
With (optional) HUD or instrument cluster, I'd really, REALLY want one.
I bet people would pay 10x the cost of such an upgrade. Yet Tesla doesn't give you a choice. Their way or the high way.Only the most environmentally polluting S and X version stay. But I digress.

However, Model 3 is the one product they ARE indeed still production limited with. No economical reason to improve that product. The premium sedan market is barely set up to handle such a large player as Model 3. Really it needs to be spread over more markets. Model 3 is yesteryear's Prius. I'm not sure Tesla is sufficiently aware or prudent about the risks of street saturation of one car. On top of being utterly impractical. Too small a frunk to matter, unaccessible truck. Showboaters and business travelers can use Model 3 and it's awesome for that. But don't push a mass market items with niche market characteristics. Hatchbacks are not a niche because they're universally better. It made Model S surprisingly roomy.
Just 29cm longer than Model 3, over double the cargo capacity. Shows that Model 3 is all about tech and cockpit room, not cargo or utility. Let alone comparing to the RWD Model 3 with the bigger frunk. Model 3 having more inboard motors should be able to have a Model S frunk.

When people like Chanos and several other known shorts giving interview to bash the company, I have a problem with that. If they wanted to bet against the company quietly, that’s fine. But when they purposely instill FUD, that’s ridiculous.
Nothing in the world is ethical anymore. I stay away from TV so I don't get lied to as much anymore.
Tesla used to bring out good news to balance it out, making it a lovely saw tooth. Bad product management and too many years of going against engineers' estimates and recommendations made their own media output being a disappointment as well. Look at Model Y. Technically it's a 2017 Model 3 with a 3rd row that no-one rally asked for, let along if only for tiny people. Way better seating higher and cargo for barely a premium. Huge incentive to weight and let Model 3 depreciate hard. Why buy a 3 early, in 2 years there will be many dumped on the second hand market.
Why buy Model S now if you know V3 is coming and you will not have it? Not to speak of to be expected further price cuts along with long overdue spec improvements. Base Model 3 has superior battery and motor tech to base Model S.
Why buy an X100D today if in two years there will be the Y at less than half the cost, pretty similar styling and utility?

Tesla has marketed itself as the car company to not get into for a while. They are under performing on all fronts. Service, product development for S/X, and Y is not a step forward, just the car they should have sold from 2017.
7 years of Model S, no tow hitch. After 7 years, a browser update that was needed from the very start is promised and it's Chromium.
OTA updates of EAP are plateauing. If you want more, get $5K FSD.

Extremely fundamental issues at play with Tesla. And I suspect that after taking too much credit for his input, he's now the actual culprit having made himself the bottleneck for progress.

Nothing in the world is ethical anymore. I stay away from TV so I don't get lied to as much anymore.
Tesla used to bring out good news to balance it out, making it a lovely saw tooth. Bad product management and too many years of going against engineers' estimates and recommendations made their own media output being a disappointment as well. Look at Model Y. Technically it's a 2017 Model 3 with a 3rd row that no-one rally asked for, let along if only for tiny people. Way better seating higher and cargo for barely a premium. Huge incentive to weight and let Model 3 depreciate hard. Why buy a 3 early, in 2 years there will be many dumped on the second hand market.
Why buy Model S now if you know V3 is coming and you will not have it? Not to speak of to be expected further price cuts along with long overdue spec improvements. Base Model 3 has superior battery and motor tech to base Model S.
Why buy an X100D today if in two years there will be the Y at less than half the cost, pretty similar styling and utility?

Tesla has marketed itself as the car company to not get into for a while. They are under performing on all fronts. Service, product development for S/X, and Y is not a step forward, just the car they should have sold from 2017.
7 years of Model S, no tow hitch. After 7 years, a browser update that was needed from the very start is promised and it's Chromium.
OTA updates of EAP are plateauing. If you want more, get $5K FSD.

Extremely fundamental issues at play with Tesla. And I suspect that after taking too much credit for his input, he's now the actual culprit having made himself the bottleneck for progress.

I think you are wrong about the Y. People want a CUV in America. Time will prove the Y.

No one should be surprised about EAP vs FSD.

Better browser would be nice but honestly, I just use my phone. Much more convenient.

Underperforming compared to what? Themselves, perhaps. But certainly not compared to the competition.

Why buy a 3 early instead of used? That argument can be used towards practically any vehicle. Always should buy used to save money.

The only thing you have said that I think you are correct on is to stay away from TV.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I think you are wrong about the Y. People want a CUV in America. Time will prove the Y.

No one should be surprised about EAP vs FSD.

Better browser would be nice but honestly, I just use my phone. Much more convenient.

Underperforming compared to what? Themselves, perhaps. But certainly not compared to the competition.

Why buy a 3 early instead of used? That argument can be used towards practically any vehicle. Always should buy used to save money.

The only thing you have said that I think you are correct on is to stay away from TV.
The whole world wants CUVs which is why starting with a needlessly limiting sedan is not the smartest.
Indeed, investor got into Tesla over promises. They are under performing the standard they set and the promises made.

The whole world wants CUVs which is why starting with a needlessly limiting sedan is not the smartest.
Indeed, investor got into Tesla over promises. They are under performing the standard they set and the promises made.

They wanted a “cheap” Tesla and it is still killing it against the competition.

They set high standards and that’s a great thing. I’d much rather they set high standards and not quite meet them then deal with other companies with low standards.

True that it does make it difficult to accurately measure when something may happen. But I honestly don’t care if they are a few months or years late. The LONG TERM (15 years plus) is fantastic.

You are crying wolf way too early and honestly, it’s just sad. You remind me of all the people said that Tesla is going to fail, no demand, never produce a vehicle, etc. And this was over a DECADE ago.

They wanted a “cheap” Tesla and it is still killing it against the competition.

They set high standards and that’s a great thing. I’d much rather they set high standards and not quite meet them then deal with other companies with low standards.

True that it does make it difficult to accurately measure when something may happen. But I honestly don’t care if they are a few months or years late. The LONG TERM (15 years plus) is fantastic.

You are crying wolf way too early and honestly, it’s just sad. You remind me of all the people said that Tesla is going to fail, no demand, never produce a vehicle, etc. And this was over a DECADE ago.
Model Y would have sufficed. No-one I heard wanted it to have a 3rd row. And I can barely see how Y would cost more to make. Slightly more bodywork vertically. Cost difference of X to S is in the FWDs mostly.

They are now just letting S and X die. Is it worth sacrificing so many cars sold at high margins just to not introduce the new S and X yet? Was it worth it putting off cheaper better batteries for S and X by at least 2 years now?
Worth holding on to the inefficient motors in S and X when they have a better tech in the entry level car?
Not a disappointment but outright lie that S and X were to remain technology leaders for the brand. Now if those didn't make any money that wouldn't be so bad. But they do/did.

Model Y would have sufficed. No-one I heard wanted it to have a 3rd row. And I can barely see how Y would cost more to make. Slightly more bodywork vertically. Cost difference of X to S is in the FWDs mostly.

They are now just letting S and X die. Is it worth sacrificing so many cars sold at high margins just to not introduce the new S and X yet? Was it worth it putting off cheaper better batteries for S and X by at least 2 years now?
Worth holding on to the inefficient motors in S and X when they have a better tech in the entry level car?
Not a disappointment but outright lie that S and X were to remain technology leaders for the brand. Now if those didn't make any money that wouldn't be so bad. But they do/did.

Dude! That’s a lot of negativity. Tesla has been down qtr over qtr before. And a lot of demand was pulled in with the tax cliff.

Look at how long it took Porsche to create the same growth.

Elon has more levers to pull to create demand for the product or the stock.

If Tesla is losing name the company that is winning? No one has done what Tesla is doing, an EV company at this scale with BOTH demand and manufacturing.

Tesla has like a 50% plus market share in EV’s so if they are losing who is winning? I keep
coming back to this.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and CarlK
Dude! That’s a lot of negativity. Tesla has been down qtr over qtr before. And a lot of demand was pulled in with the tax cliff.

Look at how long it took Porsche to create the same growth.

Elon has more levers to pull to create demand for the product or the stock.

If Tesla is losing name the company that is winning? No one has done what Tesla is doing, an EV company at this scale with BOTH demand and manufacturing.

Tesla has like a 50% plus market share in EV’s so if they are losing who is winning? I keep
coming back to this.

Very true. Perhaps those naysayers should direct their attention to companies like Porsche or Audi.
Elon Musk on Twitter

Those shortsighted investors, if you can call them investors, are only looking at quarter to quarter changes and failed, intentionally or unintentionally, to see that the long term trend of 50% + year over year growth is still intact.

I don't see many mention it but Tesla's long term strategy is to achieve a critical mass in the EV market. That was very clear in even the original secret master paln. It's pretty much half way there already. Can't see anyone that is able to compete with it even at this point. It will likely be game over for most in four or five years when Tesla is able to produce two or three millions cars a year.

Last edited:
Naysayers, FUDster, trolls, haters, shorts, concerners, I've heard them all.
I care for BEVs and an am/used to be a fan of Tesla.

We don't need to grace Tesla with a Porsche/Audi comparison, Tesla don't have the nurdon of caring for so many jobs in ICEVs. Heck, they're not too fond of having personnel at all, let's not pretend otherwise.
It's not just being down Q on Q, it's letting S and X die through mismanagement. Not on the square week but going on 2 years now.
Perhaps the redesign was all but ready and they they convinced Elon that FSD just was not going to happen while present cars are still on the road? So out with the Tesla Network interior design and back to trying to not fade next to Volvo. That would be a reasonable explanation, I'd give them that. Although born from disconnect with reality and engineer's insights.

It's not negativity, it's heartfelt desperate disappointment. Despite all the good input consumers offer Tesla, what they've done to Model S since 2016 is: AP on Nav, fart mode, dog mode, sentry mode and Atari. Pretty much. Model 3 built from 2017 got: PM motor (in works for S/X?), taller cells, parallel cooling, 3C charging. Still no towing on anything but X. Because, why sell more Model S? All together now: "We're production limited!".

And there simply is no excuse for hitting a ceiling with Model 3 production below 5,000/wk. This was promised for late 2017, we'd be at 10,000/wk by now! Why not add 2 more tents? To be honest, I think Model 3 demand will plummet as Model Y approaches. Because, why would Model 3 resale not plummet? Utterly the same car, just not as cramped.
Normal brands would launch both version together, like the old school sedan and wagon. Guess what people yet to buy a Tesla but very well aware of the brand ACTUALLY want?
It's easy to hide behind "saving the world!" and "never done before!" etc, etc. Which company ever got away with such incompetence when it comes to communication, marketing, product management, production and funding strategies? Just throw around some names, I promise not to disagree. I'd be impressed if someone had names to throw in.
Tesla behaves like an arrogant monopolist with no regard for what customers actually care about. Only when it becomes a problem (big newspaper exposés or plummet in sales) is action taken.
The tech development is there. Model 3 skateboard is a masterpiece. But all we can get for it is a cramped sedan with no tow hitch. Same tech explicitly NOT used in flagship models which were making a fine margin.

I'm deeply saddened. All I want in a car is an early Model S but I can totally see why most are holding off from buying a "new" one. It's so much cooler to buy a new old stock Rolex than a 2019 Model S/X.

Naysayers, FUDster, trolls, haters, shorts, concerners, I've heard them all.
I care for BEVs and an am/used to be a fan of Tesla.

We don't need to grace Tesla with a Porsche/Audi comparison, Tesla don't have the nurdon of caring for so many jobs in ICEVs. Heck, they're not too fond of having personnel at all, let's not pretend otherwise.
It's not just being down Q on Q, it's letting S and X die through mismanagement. Not on the square week but going on 2 years now.
Perhaps the redesign was all but ready and they they convinced Elon that FSD just was not going to happen while present cars are still on the road? So out with the Tesla Network interior design and back to trying to not fade next to Volvo. That would be a reasonable explanation, I'd give them that. Although born from disconnect with reality and engineer's insights.

It's not negativity, it's heartfelt desperate disappointment. Despite all the good input consumers offer Tesla, what they've done to Model S since 2016 is: AP on Nav, fart mode, dog mode, sentry mode and Atari. Pretty much. Model 3 built from 2017 got: PM motor (in works for S/X?), taller cells, parallel cooling, 3C charging. Still no towing on anything but X. Because, why sell more Model S? All together now: "We're production limited!".

And there simply is no excuse for hitting a ceiling with Model 3 production below 5,000/wk. This was promised for late 2017, we'd be at 10,000/wk by now! Why not add 2 more tents? To be honest, I think Model 3 demand will plummet as Model Y approaches. Because, why would Model 3 resale not plummet? Utterly the same car, just not as cramped.
Normal brands would launch both version together, like the old school sedan and wagon. Guess what people yet to buy a Tesla but very well aware of the brand ACTUALLY want?
It's easy to hide behind "saving the world!" and "never done before!" etc, etc. Which company ever got away with such incompetence when it comes to communication, marketing, product management, production and funding strategies? Just throw around some names, I promise not to disagree. I'd be impressed if someone had names to throw in.
Tesla behaves like an arrogant monopolist with no regard for what customers actually care about. Only when it becomes a problem (big newspaper exposés or plummet in sales) is action taken.
The tech development is there. Model 3 skateboard is a masterpiece. But all we can get for it is a cramped sedan with no tow hitch. Same tech explicitly NOT used in flagship models which were making a fine margin.

I'm deeply saddened. All I want in a car is an early Model S but I can totally see why most are holding off from buying a "new" one. It's so much cooler to buy a new old stock Rolex than a 2019 Model S/X.

I honestly can't pull a logical thought or argument out of the last 10,000 characters you've used. I award you no points.

All I can gather is that you've never owned a Model 3, probably never any Tesla. This might shock you, but the Model 3 has massive amounts of usable cargo space, and even the RWD version does amazing in snow and rain. This car is legitimately 5 years ahead of any other BEV and the proof is in the pudding, especially when comparing efficiency vs competitors. I actually think Tesla's marketing plan is effective and will be realized in the next two quarters. Yes to no surprise we will finally see an updated S and X and that will create demand for the luxury crowd that absolutely demands the next best thing, why saturate the market with refreshed Models as you're ramping a different Sedan? Economics 101

What exactly are you upset about? How much space do you demand out of a 4 door sedan? Living in Rotterdam I promise you that you would happily give up the Model S extra cargo space for a smaller more maneuverable Model 3 in the city. And no Tesla does not behave like a an arrogant monopolist, they're a young company starting to care about the bottom line and making decisions in line with their mission.

Lastly, if all you want is an early Model S then why don't you just buy one and be happy, and let the others with a faster, more comfortable, better suspension, seats, faster computer, AP2, etc. enjoy their newer ones?

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Oyinko and Cloxxki
You have to be out of your mind to want to have a car in the city. Those fine particles are really nasty. I go on foot, by HPV or public transport, even though I do adore driving. I adore common sense and my wallet a bit more than to buy/rent/lease a car.

I'm disappointed in the way Tesla sets out a plan and then does the opposite resulting in SEC lawsuits, overnight halved S/X sales, halved production ceiling, no more loans or stock emissions to fund growth, vast losses where profits were indicated just months ago, etc, etc.
They are gambling 40-60 billion in investor money with all the jazz. Limiting their own contribution to The Cause. If you have any sense of business and product management, you can't drive a car safely because of the non-stop double face palming going on.

Thank you, that is all

You have to be out of your mind to want to have a car in the city. Those fine particles are really nasty. I go on foot, by HPV or public transport, even though I do adore driving. I adore common sense and my wallet a bit more than to buy/rent/lease a car.

I'm disappointed in the way Tesla sets out a plan and then does the opposite resulting in SEC lawsuits, overnight halved S/X sales, halved production ceiling, no more loans or stock emissions to fund growth, vast losses where profits were indicated just months ago, etc, etc.
They are gambling 40-60 billion in investor money with all the jazz. Limiting their own contribution to The Cause. If you have any sense of business and product management, you can't drive a car safely because of the non-stop double face palming going on.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cloxxki
Very true. Perhaps those naysayers should direct their attention to companies like Porsche or Audi.
Elon Musk on Twitter

Those shortsighted investors, if you can call them investors, are only looking at quarter to quarter changes and failed, intentionally or unintentionally, to see that the long term trend of 50% + year over year growth is still intact.

I don't see many mention it but Tesla's long term strategy is to achieve a critical mass in the EV market. That was very clear in even the original secret master paln. It's pretty much half way there already. Can't see anyone that is able to compete with it even at this point. It will likely be game over for most in four or five years when Tesla is able to produce two or three millions cars a year.
IF money is the only value [I specifically mean stock price and quarterly earning number] then don't expect a great product, right? Doesn't this at least partially [I may think completely, but everyone entitled to their own opinion] why we see no competitors after 7 years?? If we go back to EV1 or Roadster we could say almost 2 decades. Porsche 918 is/was probably the pinnacle for hybrids, right? Where was Toyota? Honda NSX? Did McLaren P1? LaFerrari?

Swedes view of supercars - I find interesting - you??

Design Dream Team:
Christian Von Koenigsegg
Elon Musk, JB Straubel , Franz von Holzhausen (much less wire for example)
Mate Rimac
and Sany Munro to replace fasteners with snap fittings and DFNA [Design for NOT assembly]

PS- suspected reason for Panasonic stalling on GigaFactory investments? I think to get next battery dry battery improvements from Maxwell - 1/2 space required (double capacity) and lower costs? (no solvents and no solvent recovery/recycle system) and others will again move years behind Tesla battery technologies. Bob Lutz speaks for the auto industry - he (same as industry) does not see/understand how Tesla can have any technology advantages such as in batteries. nor does Wall St.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CarlK
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Koenigsegg on your dream team list. I have never heard anyone, except myself, mentioned him in the Tesla community and in a complimentary way. I was really impressed with this guy especially after watching Apex that showed stark contrast of this down to earth engineer against those snobbish corporate suit types from Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren etc.. I had a thought of Tesla to supply him electric drivetrain for his pure electric hypercar in the future. That would be a multi-billion dollar car and will not have a conflict with the new Roadster. Not every He was a Tesla fan and owner for years while those other companies were bashing EV, and most still are.

The Maxwell dry electrode process is a wild card. Maxwell in its ER disclosed that it had a one year contract to produce prototype with a major OEM company in 2016. That company is likely Tesla and it probably liked the result. Rumors of Tesla talking with other battery manufacturers had been around for years and there more prevalent in recent months. This is probably more complex than we know. Either way my guess is Tesla will eventually have full control of battery production is not just do everything itself. That's just how Tesla wants to do everything.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Koenigsegg on your dream team list. I have never heard anyone, except myself, mentioned him in the Tesla community and in a complimentary way. I was really impressed with this guy especially after watching Apex that showed stark contrast of this down to earth engineer against those snobbish corporate suit types from Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren etc.. I had a thought of Tesla to supply him electric drivetrain for his pure electric hypercar in the future. That would be a multi-billion dollar car and will not have a conflict with the new Roadster. Not every He was a Tesla fan and owner for years while those other companies were bashing EV, and most still are.

The Maxwell dry electrode process is a wild card. Maxwell in its ER disclosed that it had a one year contract to produce prototype with a major OEM company in 2016. That company is likely Tesla and it probably liked the result. Rumors of Tesla talking with other battery manufacturers had been around for years and there more prevalent in recent months. This is probably more complex than we know. Either way my guess is Tesla will eventually have full control of battery production is not just do everything itself. That's just how Tesla wants to do everything.
You may already know that Koenigsegg is a friend of Mate Rimac and that Rimac has supplied parts to Koenigsegg. Both of these companies probably too small for Tesla. Porsche did buy ~10% in Rimac (verify for latest info). Both Koenigsegg and Rimac are niche players in the super/hyper car game. Millions of US$ each.
Home | Rimac Automobili
Home - Koenigsegg

Good that Koenigsegg is giving Ferrari, Lambo and Mclaren more pressure. They probably still don't think Tesla is a real threat but that could be a dire mistake.
In this age of the wealthy as their assets have gone up 4 or 5 or 6 times in the last decade most of those super/hyper car makes can't make enough of them. Seems the used ones sell for more than the new ones (kind of like houses - strange).
More new makers and few that go away.
google super car and/or hyper car - nearly countless - at least I didn't want to take time to count

All Automotive Brands | Supercars.net's Full List of Carmakers
List of all the supercars, hypercars, GTs, super saloons, hot hatches, sports cars, luxury cars and track focused cars on SupercarWorld.com

Do we only count those +$100,000 - pick some number then check this list - note the ONE OF A KIND pretty amazing
List of sports cars - Wikipedia
(hover your mouse pointer over the names and many have pictures - shocking how many good looking cars)

side note: As of 2017 only one tzero remains. Gruber Motor Company's car was destroyed in a building fire in May 2017. [2]
this was the inspiration and fund raiser for the original Tesla Roadster - before Musk was the 5th CEO or was he the 6th CEO ??

Last edited: