Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Delivers Record 95K Cars in Q2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla released its second quarter 2019 production and delivery report Tuesday, which touted record global deliveries.

From April to June, Tesla produced a total of 87,048 vehicles, delivering approximately 95,200 in the U.S. and other territories.

Tesla said it produced a total of 14,517 Model S and Model X vehicles during quarter, while Model 3 production jumped to 72,531 units. A total of 17,650 Model S and X and 77,550 Model 3 were delivered in the second quarter.

As of the end of June 2019, there were over 7,400 vehicles in transit to customers.

The delivery results are a 51% quarter-over-quarter increase and a more than 200% year-over-year increase.

“We made significant progress streamlining our global logistics and delivery operations at higher volumes, enabling cost efficiencies and improvements to our working capital position,” Tesla said in a release.

Tesla also made a point to emphasize the fact that orders generated during the quarter exceeded the company’s total deliveries, creating an increase in the order backlog entering the third quarter. The note may have been a nod to analysts who question demand for Tesla’s vehicles. “We believe we are well positioned to continue growing total production and deliveries in Q3,” Tesla said in a release.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2nd quarter averaged 6,218 vehicles produced a week, pretty respectable. And through this quarter, it climbed to over 7,000 per week. It averaged 6,800 delivered a week and 7,400 are already ordered but yet to be delivered for the new 3rd quarter.

This means that ordered vehicles yet to be delivered are more at this point than was averaged week after week in the 2nd quarter - the demand is GROWING. Good job, Tesla, for being the accelerator towards BEVs around the world.

A thing to remember. Tesla's competitors today are the Zoe, Leaf, i3, I-Pace and e-tron (is the Mercedes EV out yet?). None of these are 'Tesla killers', not even close. There is competition coming but other than the low volume Taycan, none exist in 2019. Tesla basically has the world to itself through this year and into the next. Perhaps there will be a viable competitor out there in the next year or two but this buffer give Tesla plenty of time to grow - which is of the most importance at this time.

Reactions: dauger and chr147
Great news but, does it work?, are the panel gaps ok, are there parts available should one be damaged? I love my MX but it spent 147 days in-the-shop because parts were not available to fix it. Agreed, a new car company which I can forgive several problems, but be car-full.

Great news but, does it work?, are the panel gaps ok, are there parts available should one be damaged? I love my MX but it spent 147 days in-the-shop because parts were not available to fix it. Agreed, a new car company which I can forgive several problems, but be car-full.
I need a new rear bumper cover for our Model 3 and I was able to walk in and buy a factory prepainted one at my local service center. This is a part of the new minor bodywork service that Tesla is offering now. My service center had factroy prepainted front and rear bumper covers in stock in every color.

My guess is it depends what part you need, especially if it's sheet metal / aluminum. Bumpers they probably get from a third party vendor, but body panels depend on the stamping machines in Fremont that are likely a bottleneck for producing cars, or maybe the paint booth there.

About Tesla, David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital said on May 7, 2019, “They face a real demand cliff...” In April he wrote Tesla is “on the brink of failure”.

And yet Tesla achieved record deliveries in 19Q2, so remember how wrong he is every time you see Einhorn speak or write. Tesla exceeded my expectations as a Tesla investor; I thought it would be upper 80k.

This is a great performance with the rest of the industry slumping and fighting over pickup sales. If Tesla can get the pickup right, they could just own the US auto market. (Hint: "cyberpunk design" is not getting the pickup market right for the average F150 buyer).

This is a great performance with the rest of the industry slumping and fighting over pickup sales. If Tesla can get the pickup right, they could just own the US auto market. (Hint: "cyberpunk design" is not getting the pickup market right for the average F150 buyer).

I disagree. Tesla MAKES demand. Arguing that something brand new should look like something old to incur demand goes against every new product out there. There was no demand for a touch screen phone until Apple made it cool. There wasn't demand for BEVs themselves until Tesla made it cool. Offering a new take on a pickup truck where Tesla can add all sorts of functionality can be the 'cool' new idea that creates demand.

I doubt that when Musk calls the vehicle 'cyber punk' that it is going to be so out there that it defeats the purpose of a pick-up truck but I think a refreshing new take on the industry makes sense. Remember, people use pick-up trucks for two distinct reasons: one, to actually do day-to-day work with them where functionality matters and , two, where its used as a prestige item where actual functional usage of the bed is rare and its all about comfort and looking down on the rest of traffic.

If Tesla can pull off both of those functions while looking a bit unique, they likely have a winner on their hands.

About Tesla, David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital said on May 7, 2019, “They face a real demand cliff...” In April he wrote Tesla is “on the brink of failure”.

And yet Tesla achieved record deliveries in 19Q2, so remember how wrong he is every time you see Einhorn speak or write. Tesla exceeded my expectations as a Tesla investor; I thought it would be upper 80k.

Agreed. David Einhorn is a troll. And not a very smart one at that. What's interesting is to see how prediction of Tesla Doom and Gloom has become a cottage industry for the minimally talented. The predictions are almost stock cookie cutter repetitious:

1) Tesla will fail if not in the next quarter in the quarter after that. Bankruptcy is right around the corner.
2) the "real" and "serious" auto manufacturers will quickly figure out how to eat Tesla's lunch because after all it's easy to make an electric vehicle. Tesla has proven that right? Jaguar / Audi / Porsche / just about anybody and their mother is about to produce a Tesla killer car that will take all of Tesla's market share within a year.

If anything it looks like Tesla's lead in the critical Triad of Battery Technology, charging infrastructure and electronics / software is growing rather than shrinking. And the Model 3 proves that they can also build a world-class chassis.

So I just love to hear from these Tesla doomsayers.

Last edited:
Reactions: dauger
Agreed. David Einhorn is a troll. And not a very smart one at that. ... I just love to hear from these Tesla doomsayers.

Very correct post. The latest from the doomsayers is moving goalposts yet again. Now that the "demand cliff" is disproven, they talk about lack of profit in Q2 and wait and see about Q3 as a diversion from the naysayers' poor ability to forecast (or perhaps the naysayers' dishonesty).

Reactions: dfwatt
Very correct post. The latest from the doomsayers is moving goalposts yet again. Now that the "demand cliff" is disproven, they talk about lack of profit in Q2 and wait and see about Q3 as a diversion from the naysayers' poor ability to forecast (or perhaps the naysayers' dishonesty).

Yes I expect that I will enjoy hearing the doomsayers explain away the probable busting of Records by the Model Y.

Reactions: dauger