Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla denied warranty for Upper control arms because of Aftermarket Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
damn, i have a service appointment this week and was going to ask then to double check the front lateral links (from the recall) but im on eibach springs. Are the front suspension lateral links the same as the FUCAs?

may just save that request for when a mobile tech comes out. unless theres a spot in the bay area to get them done instead of at tesla?

Here is an example. If the car engine requires 5w30 engine oil, and you change your oil at a non dealership using 5w30 and is certified by the API Engine Oil Certification is not a problem. Using a non certified 5w30 such as Amsoil is a problem.
BAD and incorrect example.
Using AMSOIL synthetic lubricants or practicing extended drain intervals does not void your new vehicle or equipment manufacturer’s warranty.

BAD and incorrect example.
Using AMSOIL synthetic lubricants or practicing extended drain intervals does not void your new vehicle or equipment manufacturer’s warranty.
It does void it. Plain and Simple. Nowadays some Amsoil is API certified. Back in the days, none of them were and that is why they had to sell it via multilevel marketing. Good oil, but will void warranty of the engine. Not your hifi stereo system or your brakes or such

• Disagree
Reactions: whisperingshad
Wow, did this really turn into a debate about oil on a TESLA forum?
On a topic about upper control arm warranties....
Wait don't answer that. Someone will write a 7 paragraph article on how its relevant and related..
Dont get offended now, just pointing out the hilarious twist on how the topic can change so easily.
nate704 had the right idea back on page 8.

xyxx,
Are the front suspension lateral links the same as the FUCAs?
No, different parts. Do a google search of images on both parts and you will see the difference. Lateral links are on the bottom. 👍👍

Last edited:
Bit late to the party but mines just started creaking/squeaking. Anyone have experience whether Telsa will do the warranty with aftermarket alloys or should I stick the OEM ones back on prior to getting an appointment?

Bit late to the party but mines just started creaking/squeaking. Anyone have experience whether Telsa will do the warranty with aftermarket alloys or should I stick the OEM ones back on prior to getting an appointment?
Do you mean aftermarket wheels? Tesla is not going to care about that. This thread is about someone that had an actual aftermarket suspension (shocks/springs) that lowered the car.

Tbh go aftermarket. Tesla puts a bandaid on in most cases and if you're lucky you get a "revised" part that will crap out in double the time...
What aftermarket are you sure would last way longer? The aftermarket options I know of just use standard OEM, off the shelf ball joints from a Nissan Leaf. Spending $1K + install would require some serious guarantees of longevity vs a free warranty repair.

Do you mean aftermarket wheels? Tesla is not going to care about that. This thread is about someone that had an actual aftermarket suspension (shocks/springs) that lowered the car.

What aftermarket are you sure would last way longer? The aftermarket options I know of just use standard OEM, off the shelf ball joints from a Nissan Leaf. Spending $1K + install would require some serious guarantees of longevity vs a free warranty repair.
MPP FUCA and no complaints.

MPP FUCA and no complaints.
And most people have no complaints with the OEM control arms either.
One car without any issues doesn't mean it's better than OEM, just like one OEM car with an issue doesn't mean the whole design is junk.

Telling someone that aftermarket for $1500+ is universally better than OEM requires more data than "I have no complaints." Like I said the MPP FUCA uses a off the shelf Nissan Leaf ball joint, so it's not clear why we're so sure that it's a better long term solution than a Tesla OEM part. The design of the MPP FUCA was not about long term reliability. it was about performance (not that it isn't a perfectly reliable part using quality components).

Reactions: XPsionic
And most people have no complaints with the OEM control arms either.
One car without any issues doesn't mean it's better than OEM, just like one OEM car with an issue doesn't mean the whole design is junk.

Telling someone that aftermarket for $1500+ is universally better than OEM requires more data than "I have no complaints." Like I said the MPP FUCA uses a off the shelf Nissan Leaf ball joint, so it's not clear why we're so sure that it's a better long term solution than a Tesla OEM part. The design of the MPP FUCA was not about long term reliability. it was about performance (not that it isn't a perfectly reliable part using quality components).
I'm not telling anyone to buy anything. Tesla was putting black sealant on their oem fuca ball joints as a bandaid fix. That alone pushed me away from buying the stock replacements. Do with this information what you will.

Tbh go aftermarket. Tesla puts a bandaid on in most cases and if you're lucky you get a "revised" part that will crap out in double the time...
Sorry meant just meant my alloys, it’s still in warranty so gunna make the most of it, if it fails again the it’s off to MPP for coil overs and the rest of it haha
I thought it wouldn’t I just wasn’t sure if anyone’s had bad experience with just having none standard alloys with suspension warranty claims. Impressively the creaking/squeakings completely gone after sitting on the drive for a few hours so I’ll have to hold off on any appointments until I can get a recording of it

Tbh go aftermarket.
I'm not telling anyone to buy anything.

Does not compute.

Tesla was putting black sealant on their oem fuca ball joints as a bandaid fix. That alone pushed me away from buying the stock replacements. Do with this information what you will.
Yes, as an in-field proactive fix for existing cars because water getting through. However, the part they now sell is Rev J... It's changed a lot.

Also, if you believe Meyle, you need to do a lot to solve the issue, and a totally custom solution is needed:
“Rain drains directly from the windscreen onto the control arm and penetrates the ball joint, which ultimately leads to the unwelcome, irritating squeaking sound and, in rare cases, can compromise steering precision,” so Meyle.

Does not compute.

Yes, as an in-field proactive fix for existing cars because water getting through. However, the part they now sell is Rev J... It's changed a lot.

Also, if you believe Meyle, you need to do a lot to solve the issue, and a totally custom solution is needed:
I'll do the same aftermarket replacement on my other two cars when they go bad. To each their own.