Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla denied warranty for Upper control arms because of Aftermarket Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I had my car in for service last, I saw they added the ball joint goop process to my list.
Except I have MPP FUCAs.
So I threw the stock arms in the frunk with a note that said the stock arms were no longer on the car, don't bother taking the frunk liner out. Figured this would allow them to fix my stock arms and get the VIN out of the system.

Nope, they just refused to touch them because "aftermarket arms on the car prevented repair", but they had no issues with any other part of my warranty claims.

When I had my car in for service last, I saw they added the ball joint goop process to my list.
Except I have MPP FUCAs.
So I threw the stock arms in the frunk with a note that said the stock arms were no longer on the car, don't bother taking the frunk liner out. Figured this would allow them to fix my stock arms and get the VIN out of the system.

Nope, they just refused to touch them because "aftermarket arms on the car prevented repair", but they had no issues with any other part of my warranty claims.
Did your MPP FUCA make any difference on how the car drives? I'm scheduled for MPP FUCA install tomorrow.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I think you are missing something here. You might want to consult an attorney, but under the federal Magnusson Moss Warranty Act, Tesla has to prove that your mod caused the issue. You do not have to prove that it didn't. This law was put in place in the 60's and 70's when people were hot rodding their cars. If anything failed, the manufacturer said it was because of the mod and voided the full car warranty. The federal government stepped in and put this law in place with a lot of emphasis on auto manufacturers.

Did your MPP FUCA make any difference on how the car drives? I'm scheduled for MPP FUCA install tomorrow.
The only point of the MPP FUCA is to run more camber in order to get more grip and/or reduce tire wear on the track.
I don't notice any difference in daily driving with it, but I no longer tear the shoulders off my car on the track, and I do get a bit more grip as expected.
All matters what alignment you run. Not much point in the FUCA if you're staying with stock camber.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
I think you are missing something here. You might want to consult an attorney, but under the federal Magnusson Moss Warranty Act, Tesla has to prove that your mod caused the issue.
Yes, but in the case where you changed your spring rate and height, and now your ball joint which controls the motion of that very suspension system is failing, that's going to be a hard one to prove or disprove. Given the cost here of ~$750 there is no way involving an attorney makes sense (even cheaper if you do the install yourself with used parts)

Nothing like saying when you seat heater fails it's the fault of the spring.

The only point of the MPP FUCA is to run more camber in order to get more grip and/or reduce tire wear on the track.
I don't notice any difference in daily driving with it, but I no longer tear the shoulders off my car on the track, and I do get a bit more grip as expected.
All matters what alignment you run. Not much point in the FUCA if you're staying with stock camber.
Gonna run stock camber and alignment. Guess the only thing I'll gain is better quality part.

You can try to fight it, but sometimes - you have to pick your battles in what's worth the $$ or even more so - your time.

Eibachs and Swaybars shouldn't cause any issues - they're very minor compared to other suspension options. Feel free to drop by and we can take a look and offer a 2nd opinion. We carry MPP and at least you'll drive off knowing the work is done correctly.

Good meeting you this morning, we'll take a closer look later today and get to the bottom of what's going on.
Great meeting you as well Tom. I wanted to thank you and give everyone an update. So the car no longer creaks and the issue was resolved. As it turns out, it was the bushings on the lower suspension links connected to the subframe. Glad I stopped by. Saved me $1200. Thanks again!

Side note - Don't trust Tesla service center diagnosis. Some of those Tesla 🤡 couldn't tell you the difference between a Tesla and a Toyota.

Tesla is refusing my repair for upper control arms because I am sitting on eibach springs and have aftermarket swap bars. The upper control arm issue is a very well known and common issue. They even came out to apply their black silicone crap to prevent the creaking just long enough to get out of the warranty coverage. Unfortunately for me, my car wasn't sealed in time and water damaged the ball joints prior to application. Now tesla is flat out refusing to touch the car that's still in warranty. I've filed a NHTSA complaint. I am sick and tired of Teslas shady business model. I understand that I am running aftermarket parts but that doesn't change the fact that even non modified cars have this same creaking issue. We(the Tesla community) need to force a recall on this part somehow. Tbh it's not even about the money at this point. I can just go with MPP and be done with it. It's the lack of responsibility for their *sugar* build quality that is upsetting. And that I will not let go. I'm gonna see it through that they replace this part or I'll lemon my car. This is the 4th time I've complained about this same issue in my 40k of driving.

Makes sense to me...I own 2 jeeps and never did anything that would be used against my warranty until it was out of warranty. They will all use it against you.

My local SC techs used to tell me things like: Nobody will care that you have coilovers here, everyone is very chill.

I understand the intentions are good, but no way in hell I'd ever settle for believing that. People change, precedents change, standards & procedures change, **** that. You gotta be ready to bite the bullet if you're going to play this game.

On 4/5/22 I had Tesla replace upper control arms under warranty and I have a MPP suspension. I've had 5 part replacements in 4 years. My request for an extension on my warranty was declined. No surprise. So I've decided to "go public" with all my DEFECTIVE part replacement issues.

Over the years I've owned 2 Honda Civic DXs, 1 Subaru BRZ and 2 Hyundai Tiburons and NEVER had any parts replaced under or at 35K mi. Indeed, I've also owned a 1970 Dodge Dart (RIP!) with over 90K mi and never had repair issues due to defective parts.

Don't even get me started on the numerous recalls.... Got my first recall letter last month.....o_O

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteM3P-
On 4/5/22 I had Tesla replace upper control arms under warranty and I have a MPP suspension. I've had 5 part replacements in 4 years. My request for an extension on my warranty was declined. No surprise. So I've decided to "go public" with all my DEFECTIVE part replacement issues.

Over the years I've owned 2 Honda Civic DXs, 1 Subaru BRZ and 2 Hyundai Tiburons and NEVER had any parts replaced under or at 35K mi. Indeed, I've also owned a 1970 Dodge Dart (RIP!) with over 90K mi and never had repair issues due to defective parts.

Don't even get me started on the numerous recalls.... Got my first recall letter last month.....o_O

If you're out of warranty you're out of warranty - don't quite understand. How many years? How many miles are you at?
Is MPP after market? No idea what that is...but many auto manufactures immediately void warranty (rightly or wrongly) for non OEM parts. I own two jeeps and I don't blame Chrysler for my choices.

Also by numerous recalls and "recall letters" do you mean things like an "over the air" update to disable your boombox 🤣??? 😵‍💫 smh