Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Deploying Range Boost Software to Model S, Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Model S and Model X vehicles are getting a new “Range Boost” software and a new display that aims to more accurately present the car’s range. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk acknowledged the new feature on Twitter Wednesday after a Reddit users shared details of the update.

The software update, version 2020.4.11, boosts he Model X range from 328 miles to 351 miles and the Model S from 373 miles to 390 miles. The development is consistent with Musk’s comments in January that the Model S is “rapidly approaching a 400-mile range.”

The update provides a better visual to display accurate range. Twitter user @noctechnolog shared a screenshot.

It’s another example of how Tesla is able to continually improve its products via software updates. Older Tesla vehicles just keep getting better.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does this firmware affect my 2018 Model X? Any improvements for older Teslas? I see people constantly bragging about Tesla getting better with time, but seems like total BS when updates like this don't do anything for "older" models.

I agree that they should be clear on which years are affected. They make it should like all MS's are affected even though they use a later model to explain the range increase. Not sure if our Sept 2017 90D will be affected.

How does this firmware affect my 2018 Model X? Any improvements for older Teslas? I see people constantly bragging about Tesla getting better with time, but seems like total BS when updates like this don't do anything for "older" models.

I hear you. My 2016 Model S is horrible on Range... I had 68 miles showing on it the other morning and I had to go pick up something just 13 miles away. (26 miles round trip) It was 35 degrees and my range is so bad I did not even turn the heat on because I was scared I might not make it back. Turns out I made it back with 1 mile left. Seems that I get less than 50% of the posted range when its cold.