Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’ll lose less than the equalvalent spece’d ICE car... just get what you want and can afford.

Don’t worry about depreciation. If you care that much about the depreciation go get a civic. Otherwise will it make or break you if you recovered $3k out of the extra $10k you spent for the performance version when it’s time to sell? or if you recovered $5k out of the $10k you spent after 5 years? That’s $2k over 5 years of 0-60 in 3.5 sec enjoyment. Ask yourself. Will you care about the $2k difference in resale that much? If so. Don’t get it. Get the normal Dual Motor. And of course if you recover anything more than $5k for the $10k you spent on the P over the D you’ll be dancing around like a happy monkey.

Chances are if you’re debating for a P version the depreciation cost between the P and D will not make any difference in your lifestyle, or dictate whether you can put food on the table or not. It all boils down to justification of spending.

Oh don’t forget. There’s free charging for the performance version. At $30 a month of electricity. Guess how much that is... almost $2k haha

Edit: Crap. I just sold myself on the P.

Last edited:
I'm trying to do a budget for buying a Performance Model 3 and am curious about people's thoughts on this, since I don't have good data on how Teslas fare in terms of resale value.

1. Is it reasonable to assume that the car will loose ~20% of its value during the first year of ownership, and perhaps 15% in each the 2nd and 3rd year (so it will have lost ~half its value after 3 years)?

2. Can I expect a Performance Model 3 to retain a decent portion of its $10k premium over AWD, $15k over RWD, if I sell it? Say I sell after 5 years, and assuming the above total depreciation of 50%, will it sell for $5k more than an AWD (when it originally cost $10k more)?

3. It is reasonable to assume that since tax credits will expire by next summer, that the $7,500 I will have received absorb some of the depreciation (say the car looses 20%=$15k in value in the first year, that would become $7500 after tax credits).

Just trying to get a sense if these guesstimates are completely crazy one way or another, or sound reasonable. Thank you!

Performance feature price add-ons during new-car sale are faster-depreciating than a base car would be. Meaning, performance can be a contactor and slightly bigger motor. Price-add for maybe $8k but in true parts, maybe $2k at best. So, usually a fully-loaded car depreciates faster (based on the new-car sale price) than a base-model of any car brand.

Reactions: adaptabl
How much do you guys think a base model 3 will be worth after 8 years /over 100k mileage ?
Also how many years will it take for a base 3 to be worth $10k?

A $50k new Model 3 in 10 years depends on a lot of factors. Company survival, service costs (ie. how much to own out of warranty) and so on are big factors. $175/hr labor rates now and high parts prices will push depreciation down for out-of-warranty. I would say $17-18k at best after 10 years, 100k miles. If dinged, up, dirty, or faults (like persistent yellow lines around screen or leaks) could be less. It is why a lot of EV enthusiasts waited for off-lease EVs to come on the market. I know a guy who bought a low-miles 2014 Volt and 2014 Leaf - grand total for the two used were about $20k. Takes care of his full electric driving needs and the Volt offers long-range with no compromises.

A $50k new Model 3 in 10 years depends on a lot of factors. Company survival, service costs (ie. how much to own out of warranty) and so on are big factors. $175/hr labor rates now and high parts prices will push depreciation down for out-of-warranty. I would say $17-18k at best after 10 years, 100k miles. If dinged, up, dirty, or faults (like persistent yellow lines around screen or leaks) could be less. It is why a lot of EV enthusiasts waited for off-lease EVs to come on the market. I know a guy who bought a low-miles 2014 Volt and 2014 Leaf - grand total for the two used were about $20k. Takes care of his full electric driving needs and the Volt offers long-range with no compromises.

Way less than 17-18k after 10 years and 100K. More like 5-10K depending on condition.

Reactions: bonaire