Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Destination Charger Owners - Do Companies Bill for the Use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all for the suggestions. We're currently pursuing the option from AmpedUp Networks and their EVCC product (thanks jeffl1969 for the suggestion). It looks like this will fit our needs very well and at the right budget. I'll update this post with progress.

My company owns several commercial properties. We’re considering installing Tesla destination chargers at locations where it makes sense. I understand that Tesla offers programs where the chargers are provided at no cost and they may even pay for installation. However, I’m concerned about the price of electricity and how much it could cost us to operate the units over time - especially if we have many installations. I assume the charger use will be pretty heavy and will grow over time, especially as EV use/ownership grows over time.

Can anyone offer advice regarding this? Do people bill for the use of these chargers? If so, what’s the best method to do so?

We just had two destination chargers at our Bed and Breakfast. We are told the electrical cost to fully charge a car will be $3-$5. Tesla did provide the chargers free, but I believe we were one of the last to participate in the free program. We did have to pay the full installation costs and the installer had to be approved by Tesla.They said it was up to us if we want to charge or provide the service for free. We will allow our Bed and Breakfast guests free use of the chargers, but will charge non-guests a nominal fee.