Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla diagnosis fee when asked for a specific job?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I had a rear half shaft clicking on my model s and thru some research it appeared to be that the splines needed lubrication. I made a service appt detailing this and asked for a quote to have the job done and they are including a general diagnosis fee in the invoice. Personally since I was asking for a specific service, I don't believe the diagnosis fee is warranted but I wanted to see if this is common practice by Tesla or a fluke?
Screenshot_20230320_093410_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

It is common practice. I had the same thing happen with the dreaded upper control arm creak. Originally they quoted me a diagnosis. When I told them that a diagnosis is not required and that the work order should read "replace upper control arms" they quoted me for exactly that but also stated that they cannot guarantee that the noise will be gone.

Which is fair. I am sure that this is the issue but if the noise doesn't go away I can't really blame them since I never asked then to diagnose the problem and find the root cause.

If you are sure that you know what the cause of the problem is you can ask them to only quote you for the work you want done. Obviously that means that if what you asked them to do does not fix the problem it's on you, not on them.

Reactions: 240vPlug