Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair enough. The only real diagnostic tool is Tesla’s proprietary software. Not only can’t you get it, you would somehow have to hack access to their network.

There are some data recorders that read basic information. Look for Tesla Can Bus data logging. They are all still basic, in the sense that you need good programming skills to set one up, and many of the commands are still unknown.
Certified body shops aren't owned by Tesla

Do they get the diagnostic software and network access? I thought the cars had to go back to Tesla for any of that after the body work was done

Just FYI. I was going to go to work for Service King, but did not. But I do know that the body shops have VERY limited access. Most things they still have to call the body shop tech-line to get the info they need, if they get it at all.

Fair enough. The only real diagnostic tool is Tesla’s proprietary software. Not only can’t you get it, you would somehow have to hack access to their network.

There are some data recorders that read basic information. Look for Tesla Can Bus data logging. They are all still basic, in the sense that you need good programming skills to set one up, and many of the commands are still unknown.

Do they get the diagnostic software and network access? I thought the cars had to go back to Tesla for any of that after the body work was done

They're supposed to have toolbox access.

Ok get back to topic... I m looking for equipment that works... Need to repair car in Poland where there is no service center and even that happen they will not help me with the US car. So... Anybody? Maybe someone developed this equipment since 2012... BTW. I tried to be certificated bodyshop and Tesla is not interested in giving that in my country...

I don't get it guys, why would someone need Tesla Toolbox? And when you guys repair these electric cars back to life arn't you worried about electrical issues/wiring issues if it isn't done properly (like Tesla certified technicians)? How the heck do you know exactly what you're wiring and grounding/charging?

Demundus, I am not a Tesla employee for the record if you are implying that, I am just a new member to the site eager to learn more about Teslas. I have a Model S 60 that I bought in 2013 through Tesla and I am looking into rebuilt ones because I'm reading more and more that they are basically like half the price that I paid back then so I'm just trying to learn more about the "rebuilt" market in general.

Demundus, I am not a Tesla employee for the record if you are implying that, I am just a new member to the site eager to learn more about Teslas. I have a Model S 60 that I bought in 2013 through Tesla and I am looking into rebuilt ones because I'm reading more and more that they are basically like half the price that I paid back then so I'm just trying to learn more about the "rebuilt" market in general.

Inexperienced 19 Year Old interested in repairing a salvage Model S!

Tesla is simple car... Like most of american cars... :) However the only problem is diagnostic tool to it... Right now i have problem with air suspension that simply woun`t react on controls... I have to re calibrate it. Thats why i need tool... Also i need it because i dont have key to the car and i have to make new one... This car was bought only with suspension damage... Not a big deal right? But it is if you dont have a equipment to deal with it...

I don't get it guys, why would someone need Tesla Toolbox? And when you guys repair these electric cars back to life arn't you worried about electrical issues/wiring issues if it isn't done properly (like Tesla certified technicians)? How the heck do you know exactly what you're wiring and grounding/charging?

Imagine, you need to drive to Canada to the nearest service center.
I understand it's difficult for US guy to imagine there are countries around the world Tesla doesn't want to be present (no service centers, zero or couple superchargers) - and I'm not talking about Afghanistan or so, I'm talking about Central Europe. And people are trying to find a way.

Imagine, you need to drive to Canada to the nearest service center.
I understand it's difficult for US guy to imagine there are countries around the world Tesla doesn't want to be present (no service centers, zero or couple superchargers) - and I'm not talking about Afghanistan or so, I'm talking about Central Europe. And people are trying to find a way.

Thats right... And also this is b shi.....t that this is for security reasons... I know what im doing... I repaired few teslas by now... The only thing is dangerous is that they dont support us and we have to do it without support. They count sell new airbags! People are regenerating those! I cant buy new suspension parts! People are using unknown state parts because Tesla dont want to sell them new ones!

Also i need it because i dont have key to the car and i have to make new one... This car was bought only with suspension damage... Not a big deal right? But it is if you dont have a equipment to deal with it...

No key? That sucks. How ... why.... did you get a US car in Poland with no key?

Seems like a pointless exercise, unless you plan to get the car homologised as well?