Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Dies in IKEA Parking Lot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why anyone would go to an IKEA over the weekend during a global pandemic is a different terrible story.

With this story our Dec 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor will not go into drive, reverse, anything. Contact service and try and hard reset the car. Doesn't work. Get some error messages about the 12V battery and the car loses all power.

Service sends a tow truck who has to use a battery to hot wire the frunk open, hot wire the 12V, still won't go into drive and tows the car to a service station - luckily close by in Berkeley.

Tech is saying it's an MCU issue. I'm scratching my head on how a 2 year old car with less than 20K miles has become a 2 ton paperweight.

Do MCU issues really make the entire car un-driveable?

Any things I should watch out for in the repair and explanation of the fix?

If i've had this issue once should I expect to see something similar again?

Especially bummed as I just put some ridiculous wheels on the car.

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 12.12.46 AM.png

many thanks,

Tech is saying it's an MCU issue. I'm scratching my head on how a 2 year old car with less than 20K miles has become a 2 ton paperweight.

Car failures happen most in the first few months of driving and the last few months. Its normal apparently for people to think that their problems are shared by everyone and just 1% of defects.

Also, you have wrongly posted this in the "battery and charging section".

Why anyone would go to an IKEA over the weekend during a global pandemic is a different terrible story.

With this story our Dec 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor will not go into drive, reverse, anything. Contact service and try and hard reset the car. Doesn't work. Get some error messages about the 12V battery and the car loses all power.

Service sends a tow truck who has to use a battery to hot wire the frunk open, hot wire the 12V, still won't go into drive and tows the car to a service station - luckily close by in Berkeley.

View attachment 607333

many thanks,

Sick looking car.. but blackout those chrome mirrors to match the rest. Love the wheels

OP: I think the issue is that while in the IKEA SFBA parking lot you have activated a secret teleportation function in your model 3 that instantly transferred your car to Torrey Pines (if I'm not mistaken???). And that killed your car.

Based on stories I read about Tesla and VW ID.3 failures, your case looks very much alike a 12-V battery. I had dead 12-V batteries on many of my ICE cars before, and the effect is similar... it sucks. So, let's hope it is a 12-V battery in your case. ;) ... because it would be the easiest to understand and fix. Please let us know if it was the battery or the MCU (or something else). Thank you.

View attachment 607333

many thanks,

You forgot to chrome delete a few pieces on the trim... and nice roof decor

12V failure can look a lot like MCU failure. But with a 2 year old car you are due for the 12V battery to fail.

We had all sorts of issues with the windows acting strange and error messages on the screen, but also mostly a black screen. The MCU doesn't seem to run well with low voltage. We managed to actually drive it to the Service Center. Once started, if possible, it should keep going on the DC/DC converter until you turn it off again. The SC fixed it in about an hour (new 12V battery) and all was well.

what section should I have posted this in? thanks

Moderators moved you to "Model 3" parent category. I'd have said ordering/production subcategory.

Your battery isn't dead, just the computer, easy to see how that could be mistaken since it had the power shut off.

Surely it shut off as a protective measure as without the computer there is no way to control many of the car's functions. Not sure what other computers there are besides the MCU but that is beside the point.