TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Direct Sales Map (US)

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by TMC Staff, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. TMC Staff

#1 TMC Staff, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited by Pluto: Feb 21, 2018 at 2:54 AM
    I haven't seen a map continuously updated with the states that Tesla can or can't direct sell in, so I decided to create my own with the information I could find. It highlights all states where direct sales is banned and all states where Tesla operates in. (Here is a Wikipedia article and a TMC thread to also reference.)

[​IMG]

Latest Updates:
    Legal Sources:
    1. Alabama - Automakers cannot direct sell
    2. Alaska - Automakers can direct sell *
    3. Arizona - Automakers can direct sell
    4. Arkansas - Automakers cannot direct sell
    5. California - Automakers can direct sell
    6. Colorado - Automakers can direct sell
    7. Delaware - Automakers can direct sell *
    8. Hawaii - Automakers can direct sell
    9. Idaho - Automakers can direct sell *
    10. Iowa - Automakers cannot direct sell
    11. Kansas - Automakers cannot direct sell
    12. Kentucky - Automakers cannot direct sell
    13. Louisiana - Automakers cannot direct sell
    14. Maine - Automakers can direct sell
    15. Massachusetts Automakers can direct sell
    16. Michigan - Automakers cannot direct sell or service
    17. Minnesota - Automakers can direct sell
    18. Mississippi - Automakers can direct sell
    19. Missouri - Automakers can direct sell
    20. Montana - Automakers cannot direct sell
    21. Nebraska - Automakers cannot direct sell
    22. Nevada - Automakers besides Tesla cannot direct sell
    23. New Hampshire - Automakers can direct sell
    24. New Mexico - Automakers cannot direct sell or service
    25. North Dakota - Automakers cannot direct sell
    26. Oklahoma - Automakers cannot direct sell
    27. Oregon - Automakers can direct sell
    28. Rhode Island - Automakers can direct sell
    29. South Carolina - Automakers cannot direct sell or service
    30. South Dakota - Automakers cannot direct sell
    31. Texas - Automakers cannot direct sell
    32. Utah - Automakers cannot direct sell
    33. Vermont - Automakers can direct sell
    34. Washington - Automakers besides Tesla cannot direct sell or service
    35. West Virginia - Automakers cannot direct sell
    36. Wyoming - Automakers can direct sell
    * Further verified by calling the state's DMV or DOT since there were no legal statutes allowing or preventing automakers to sell directly to customers.

Notes: This information still isn't complete and there may be a few states with inaccurate information but I'm updating this as often as possible. I have this map saved in PDN with multiple layers so it can be losslessly updated. Message me if you want the source file. Anyone may redistribute the image or modify it in any way. It is optional to give credit for creating the image, and in doing so you may cite "Pluto" or "Pluto is a Planet" but no one else. The best way to contact me is through Telegram.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Tam

Tam Active Member

3. Polly Wog

Polly Wog Member

Thanks for creating this. I can say that New Mexico should be RED (although I can't provide you with a link). Also, maybe you can find a map that shows Alaska and Hawaii?

4. Tam

Tam Active Member

5. Pluto

Pluto Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I knew about Hawaii but forgot to include it. I'll work on getting an updated version out soon with sources for all the blue states and hopefully New Mexico.

6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

So white states are "Direct sales laws not challenged yet" or "Tesla is allowed to sell freely, but doesn't have any stores"? (Except NM as stated above).

7. Tam

Tam Active Member

If possible, please label all states including white and blue states.

8. Tam

Tam Active Member

I understand that New Mexico is like Michigan that prohibits Tesla direct sales and "other service".

2006 New Mexico Statutes - Section 57-16-5 — Unlawful acts; manufacturers; distributors; representatives.

"It is unlawful for any manufacturer, distributor or representative to:

"V. be licensed as a dealer or perform warranty or other service or own an interest, directly or indirectly, in a person licensed as a dealer or performing warranty or other service; provided that a manufacturer or distributor may own a person licensed as a dealer for a reasonable time in order to dispose of an interest acquired as a secured party or as part of a dealer development program; "

9. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

So temporary slavery is ok in NM?

10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

How about an explanation of the combined states in the key?

Why are WA and IN Blue/orange?

Why is OH Yellow/Orange and NY Orange/Yellow (Does the order of the color matter?)

11. Pluto

Pluto Member

I just don't have any information on these (yet). I focused on states where I did find Tesla challenged/was challenged or have stores/service centers/galleries in. Basically I'll only include states that I have sources for.
    I found the same thing too. It was actually not that hard to find honestly, maybe I'll work on some of the white states. And it looks like this law originated in 1953 (though it's hard to know for sure. I know it's prior to 1999 at least.
    This is because Tesla has been grandfathered in to be the only automaker able to have certain rules for them. For other automakers, the orange/red color applies. I tried distinguishing this by specifying "Tesla" for blue and yellow, and "Automakers" in general for orange and red. When a state has only one color, then you can assume that the same rules apply to all automakers in the state.

I also explain each state's status in the "Latest Updates" section. Maybe I can change the legend to add in a "T" logo when the rules are different for Tesla. Then in Washington for example, there would be a blue "T" surrounded by an orange background. Ideas?

12. azred

azred Member

Tesla does not operate stores freely in Arizona. They got a judge to allow the Scottsdale location a few years ago and followed that up with a second store in Tempe two years ago. But they got pushback so they closed the Tempe store last year (it is still a service location) and opened a second store in Scottsdale.

13. Pluto

Pluto Member

I'll take a closer look into this, thank you.

14. Tam

Tam Active Member

Too confusing!

Can we just narrowly focus on Tesla Sales, not non-Tesla Sales and other Automakers?

If the law has grandfathered Tesla, then it's a positive state for Tesla even though the law may prohibit future automakers like NIO.

15. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Tesla.com has Salt Lake City listed as a store.

Google reviews of Tesla Salt Lake City store say people have purchased cars in the SLC Store.

16. Tam

Tam Active Member

Here's a Youtube's explanation:

In 2015, Tesla created wholly-owned subsidiary Tesla UT but the license was not approved citing the need to enter into a franchise agreement.

Tesla UT then entered into dealership agreement with Tesla but it's still not approved citing that Tesla has ownership stake in Tesla UT.

In 2017, the UT Supreme Court upheld the regulation citing that's its job and refused to consider whether the regulation was justifiable or not.

Thus, the current process of buying a new Tesla in Utah that has complying to the Utah ban is described in:

Taking delivery of a Tesla in Utah?

1) Go to Tesla Store in Utah to get all your questions answered but sales people can't sell you one.
    2) Go to the web and order one and make payment on the web.
    3) Sign all paperworks that California Tesla sent you and send them back.
    4) Pick your car at Tesla Store.
    5) Drive to DMV to pay sales tax, registration fee and get your license plate on the spot.

It feels like buying from Utah store but the actual monetary transactions are on the web to Tesla in California and not a Tesla in Utah.

17. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

That process you describe is what happens in Texas.

In Texas, Tesla calls their locations "Galleries" not stores.

Until recently, Tesla could not even open the door to a "gallery" in Utah.

18. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

You can add Wyoming as a blue state. A law allowing Tesla to operate was passed last year. Unfortunately, just because Tesla is allowed doesn’t mean they’ve opened up any stores, yet.

19. Tam

Tam Active Member

Interesting thinking from 2017 Wyoming Legislature for allowing Tesla direct sales:

"lawmakers enthusiastically proclaiming the move will give a bump to Powder River Basin coal."

"Rep. Nathan Winters, a Thermopolis Republican, noted that power plants in about 30 states generate electricity with Wyoming coal. He argued that supporting the bill would be a way to support Wyoming’s fossil fuels."

20. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I’ll second the suggestion for keeping the graphic to be Tesla specific. Too much info/confusing to also incorporate status of other manufacturers.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.