Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Direct / Touchless Home Delivery - "Trust Fall" without inspecting inside/out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's March 27, 2021 and Tesla still has inconsistent and confusing information about its "delivery" process, whether you go to a Service Center or have the vehicle dropped at your home. The biggest concern is that I was told twice by my "Tesla Advisor" (who's functioned as our sales consultant) that:

"Tesla's contractor will leave the car at your house with the key card locked inside.
You have to accept delivery in your phone app in order to unlock the doors.
BEFORE that point, you are free to inspect the vehicle (from the outside) and refuse delivery within 24 hours of the dropoff text they send you, if you choose."

That's unacceptable, especially from a manufacturer with Tesla's spotty reputation for build quality. I might trust a built-in-Japan Honda (like our S2000) for something like that, but not Tesla (or Lotus, which took us a year of service visits to correct issues).

3 days after re-entering the VIN eligibility queue, our VIN was assigned for a Mon 3/29 delivery.
Being uncomfortable with the Tesla Advisor's guidance, I called my local Service Center phone number with the original intent to request Service Center delivery and to see if the car had arrived early so we could "preview" it like at some auctions. I pressed 4 for delivery questions, and spoke for 10 min with an incredibly well-trained Delivery Rep (much better than my sales advisor). When I asked about changing delivery to the Service Center (8 mi from our home), the rep's direction was VASTLY different re: delivery: at one's home:

"For touchless home delivery, the vehicle is left in your driveway, locked, with the key cards and paperwork inside. They text you as they're leaving.
You open your phone's Tesla app and you'll have an option to Review vehicle before Accepting Delivery.
The Review phase will unlock the doors and even allow you to take the car around the block.
You have 24 hours to evaluate and elect to accept or refuse delivery."

I said that sounded much more reasonable, but if it was all the same I'd prefer to do inspection of a Tesla (strike one...) built in March/EOQ (strike two...) with a Service Advisor nearby, at the Service Center, so we could review what was "in spec" vs what would go on an order to be fixed before I took delivery.
Saves them the time and expense of a loaner (or Uber credits, which doesn't solve my wife's need for a vehicle to haul crates of books to the library as part of her remote work agreement during the pandemic (we're Gen X and earliest shot availability is going to be June).

Rep then says, "I've checked on your vehicle and it shows as just having left the SF dock/distribution headed to...Massachusetts. Other side of the USA from us in Portland, OR. Apologizes profusely and I tell him it's fine, we're already leery of how we got rushed into an end-of-quarter delivery of a vehicle likely rushed by tired, punch-drunk Tesla elves rushing for quarter end. We are fine waiting for the right car, and do not want a car "right now" that may be slapped together worse than usual.

Bottom line, what is the situation with inspection before accepting delivery at this point in time? I looked through several (harrowing) threads about delivery, and do not see a hard cut-in date of whether Tesla actually does what the Delivery Rep said, or does like my Tesla Advisor said (which is more consistent with the link below).

MYLR delivery declined-no pre-delivery interior inspection

Please let me know what your delivery experience has been during 2021. Tesla dropped the 7 day test drive in Oct 2020 if memory serves, so they are FAR behind CarMax and others in terms of earning a shopper's confidence that a vehicle is not "nightmare fuel." If they show some fortitude and implement a 24 hour review period like the Delivery Rep said, that would indeed go a long way toward earning our trust. We're already having to function as Tesla's Quality Assurance team... I'm hoping someone chimes in and provides more clarity to this either way (Tesla Advisor's "You're on your own" vs. Delivery Rep's 24 hr Review).

It's March 27, 2021 and Tesla still has inconsistent and confusing information about its "delivery" process, whether you go to a Service Center or have the vehicle dropped at your home. The biggest concern is that I was told twice by my "Tesla Advisor" (who's functioned as our sales consultant) that:

"Tesla's contractor will leave the car at your house with the key card locked inside.
You have to accept delivery in your phone app in order to unlock the doors.
BEFORE that point, you are free to inspect the vehicle (from the outside) and refuse delivery within 24 hours of the dropoff text they send you, if you choose."

That's unacceptable, especially from a manufacturer with Tesla's spotty reputation for build quality. I might trust a built-in-Japan Honda (like our S2000) for something like that, but not Tesla (or Lotus, which took us a year of service visits to correct issues).

3 days after re-entering the VIN eligibility queue, our VIN was assigned for a Mon 3/29 delivery.
Being uncomfortable with the Tesla Advisor's guidance, I called my local Service Center phone number with the original intent to request Service Center delivery and to see if the car had arrived early so we could "preview" it like at some auctions. I pressed 4 for delivery questions, and spoke for 10 min with an incredibly well-trained Delivery Rep (much better than my sales advisor). When I asked about changing delivery to the Service Center (8 mi from our home), the rep's direction was VASTLY different re: delivery: at one's home:

"For touchless home delivery, the vehicle is left in your driveway, locked, with the key cards and paperwork inside. They text you as they're leaving.
You open your phone's Tesla app and you'll have an option to Review vehicle before Accepting Delivery.
The Review phase will unlock the doors and even allow you to take the car around the block.
You have 24 hours to evaluate and elect to accept or refuse delivery."

I said that sounded much more reasonable, but if it was all the same I'd prefer to do inspection of a Tesla (strike one...) built in March/EOQ (strike two...) with a Service Advisor nearby, at the Service Center, so we could review what was "in spec" vs what would go on an order to be fixed before I took delivery.
Saves them the time and expense of a loaner (or Uber credits, which doesn't solve my wife's need for a vehicle to haul crates of books to the library as part of her remote work agreement during the pandemic (we're Gen X and earliest shot availability is going to be June).

Rep then says, "I've checked on your vehicle and it shows as just having left the SF dock/distribution headed to...Massachusetts. Other side of the USA from us in Portland, OR. Apologizes profusely and I tell him it's fine, we're already leery of how we got rushed into an end-of-quarter delivery of a vehicle likely rushed by tired, punch-drunk Tesla elves rushing for quarter end. We are fine waiting for the right car, and do not want a car "right now" that may be slapped together worse than usual.

Bottom line, what is the situation with inspection before accepting delivery at this point in time? I looked through several (harrowing) threads about delivery, and do not see a hard cut-in date of whether Tesla actually does what the Delivery Rep said, or does like my Tesla Advisor said (which is more consistent with the link below).

MYLR delivery declined-no pre-delivery interior inspection

Please let me know what your delivery experience has been during 2021. Tesla dropped the 7 day test drive in Oct 2020 if memory serves, so they are FAR behind CarMax and others in terms of earning a shopper's confidence that a vehicle is not "nightmare fuel." If they show some fortitude and implement a 24 hour review period like the Delivery Rep said, that would indeed go a long way toward earning our trust. We're already having to function as Tesla's Quality Assurance team... I'm hoping someone chimes in and provides more clarity to this either way (Tesla Advisor's "You're on your own" vs. Delivery Rep's 24 hr Review).
Does anyone know the answer to this? I have a delivery 2 days from now: April 16. Very worried about not being able to inspect the vehicle before taking delivery.

I had this same issue prior to getting my car.

I was contemplating between Home Delivery which at first they couldn't do during ordering (Ordered in March 2021) or going to a Service Center for delivery.

I wanted Delivery center to inspect the car there so I can possibly reject and contemplated home delivery so I can take my sweet time covering the 100 point check lists I have

I was told that I can not enter the car either method without accepting it via the app. I ended up just spot checking from the outside of the interior and it looked good enough for me to accept.

Got in the car and interior was fine.

my guess is that a delivery center next to you is cleaning/prepping the car. You can probably stop by and chat with them. All the cars I've seen are wrapped in factory vinyl and arrive at a service center where they're cleaned, buffed etc. Just talk to someone there, they can track down the VIN and tell you whats up.

Reactions: Jemblue7my
We had great home delivery experience. The delivery person stayed and answered all our questions and concerns and made sure we were satisfied prior to leaving.
So you were able to enter the car and check things out prior to actually accepting the delivery? (i.e. it was unlocked to inspect the interior before you hit the "acceptance" phase, or you had to accept before it would be unlocked for a full inspection, but before the delivery person left?)

Since I'm in NH, my only options are to either to drive to NJ for pick up and inspect it in person, or have it delivered to my home in NH. The nearest SC is in MA, and if it's delivered there, I'd have to pay MA taxes... not an option.

So you were able to enter the car and check things out prior to actually accepting the delivery? (i.e. it was unlocked to inspect the interior before you hit the "acceptance" phase, or you had to accept before it would be unlocked for a full inspection, but before the delivery person left?)

Since I'm in NH, my only options are to either to drive to NJ for pick up and inspect it in person, or have it delivered to my home in NH. The nearest SC is in MA, and if it's delivered there, I'd have to pay MA taxes... not an option.
yes - the delivery person opened for us - but you have 24 hours to inspect as well per tesla email we received

Reactions: Snafu81
yes - the delivery person opened for us - but you have 24 hours to inspect as well per tesla email we received
Maybe delivery center to delivery center home deliveries are different but I was told I was not to make contact with the delivery person as it was suppose to be touchless/ interaction less.

Regardless mine was delivered in the middle of the afternoon when I was still at work but I dont think I would've been able to time their arrival so I can be outside before they locked the door and walked away.

Reactions: Jemblue7my
Maybe delivery center to delivery center home deliveries are different but I was told I was not to make contact with the delivery person as it was suppose to be touchless/ interaction less.

Regardless mine was delivered in the middle of the afternoon when I was still at work but I dont think I would've been able to time their arrival so I can be outside before they locked the door and walked away.
make sense - ours was a 9 pm and they had no choice we live in gated community and they had to call us for gate coed so we were able to meet him when he showed up in driveway.

Update for you: Carmax no longer offers the take home for 7 days and try it deal.
They are now 24 hours only.

24 hours????? IIRC I got 15 minutes, maybe 30. I asked for more and they grudgingly said an hour - or was that the 30? Can't remember now, but I do remember not buying the thing (Prius Prime if you were wondering)

Carvana has the 7 day thing and I had an Ioniq with 350 miles on it for most of that time. It was a very nice vehicle, but a 2019 and the 2020 had the increased range and 10/100 warranty (as opposed to 5/60) AND the $7500 tax credit making the two vehicles the same price

I didn't accept that one either, though I did like their service and would consider using it again