Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Direct

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody here know how Tesla direct works? I called my local sales office and they said if you were within 220 miles of a sales center, you had to pick it up there. But that doesn’t make total sense to me as Tesla has another program called Tesla Carrier Direct that says if you are outside 220 miles you may be subject to a charge for a direct delivery. The way I read the programs for touch less delivery made it seem like if you were WITHIN 220 miles, you could have it delivered to your door. Thanks for any responses that can shed light on this.

Each delivery center has their own policy on whether they offer home delivery, pick up at the delivery center, or a choice of either. There is no consistency from one location to the next and they have been know to frequently change their policy when demand picks up and then slows down.

Personally, I would not want someone delivering a car to my home because I would want to thoroughly inspect the car before I accept it. In theory you can reject the car at your home if you are not happy with it, but you are far more likely to accept a car with flaws after they drove it several hundred miles to your home.

Furthermore, if the car has paint flaws and your nearest service center is several hundred miles away, are you going to want to take it back there to have the flaws corrected? There are too many things that can go wrong with home delivery when your service center is far away. It’s worth making the trip out there to inspect the car before accepting it so that you know you are happy with the condition before you give them any money.

For the reasons that OCR1 mentioned, if you are reasonably close to a service center I’d pick up in person. It looks like you are not too far from Raleigh if your listed location is accurate. I could understand if you were 100+ miles away, but I’d highly recommend picking up in person so you can inspect the car before taking it.

Thanks for the reply. I know it’s not ideal, but we have some timing issues on being in the state we are moving to when the order comes in. Even the sales guys said it would be a gamble that we could get it there in our window, and we’ll be about 2.5 hours away from the nearest service center. Not ideal all the way around.

For the reasons that OCR1 mentioned, if you are reasonably close to a service center I’d pick up in person. It looks like you are not too far from Raleigh if your listed location is accurate. I could understand if you were 100+ miles away, but I’d highly recommend picking up in person so you can inspect the car before taking it.
Yeah, it would be a no brained if we were buying in Raleigh. We are moving to Oregon and the nearest service center will be about 2.5 hours away

If you’re more than 220 miles away they will toss it on a 3rd party carrier (carrier direct) for delivery to your door for free. They’ll usually give you a heads up what day and then the driver will call when they’re about an hour away. Mine finally made delivery at about 10pm on a week day since they were held up picking up a car (there were three Tesla’s and like a 1990s van on the truck).

If you’re very close (within maybe 50 miles) some sales centers will drive the car out to you and Uber back or have two cars come out and take the other back. This is delivery by a Tesla employee and it’s hit or miss if they’re doing this during COVID.

Then finally you can just swing by and pick up your car via no contact delivery.

If you’re more than 220 miles away they will toss it on a 3rd party carrier (carrier direct) for delivery to your door for free. They’ll usually give you a heads up what day and then the driver will call when they’re about an hour away. Mine finally made delivery at about 10pm on a week day since they were held up picking up a car (there were three Tesla’s and like a 1990s van on the truck).

If you’re very close (within maybe 50 miles) some sales centers will drive the car out to you and Uber back or have two cars come out and take the other back. This is delivery by a Tesla employee and it’s hit or miss if they’re doing this during COVID.

Then finally you can just swing by and pick up your car via no contact delivery.
I am unfortunately in between those, will be about 170 miles away. I am going to call the sales guys out there to see if there is any way they will deliver, but not confident.

I am unfortunately in between those, will be about 170 miles away. I am going to call the sales guys out there to see if there is any way they will deliver, but not confident.

I doubt it. I’m like 208 miles and they won’t. I actually bought a Model 3 last year when I believe it was 180+ miles or 200+ miles and did the carrier direct delivery.
Road trip with a friend? Just make sure to call Tesla the night before to make sure delivery items are in order (and maybe ask for some pictures explaining that it’s a long drive for you) and then call again just before leaving to head there. Tesla is notoriously bad at communicating and the guy you spoke with the night before might not tell the guy in the morning to get the car ready or something. Just stay on top of them and it’ll save you trouble.