TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla disables autopilot in hk - just happened, very disappointing

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by gavinwang, Nov 17, 2015.

1. gavinwang

gavinwang Member

no indication how soon the approval from HK transportation department can be obtained and the temporary ban be lifted, the communication from TSLA only says "soon".................

2. beewalker

beewalker Member

It appears that it is necessary to await version 7.1 that is supposed to have 'constraints' to keep hands on wheel.

3. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

tesla_disable_autopilot.jpg

Obviously pressure from the Transport Department (who have reportedly demanded this for weeks).

In a related announcement, the Transport Department replied to my letter to the SCMP with the following statement:

That seems to match what Tesla is saying in the above eMail to owners. Auto-Parking is approved, but Autosteer and Auto Lane Change are still pending approval.

4. Titus

Titus Member

My 2 cents is better safe than sorry; we can't expect every Tesla owner to use AP responsibly.

Better to let Tesla work out the kinks in the background and shut it down for a bit instead of leaving it in the hands of noobs who gets into an accident and then sets AP program back years; we've already seen Crapple Daily try to do it with their one sided review.

5. MrAustraliaTax

This is extraordinarily alarming. Is this some sort of forced update or is it a standard software update that can be refused?

6. green1

green1 Active Member

Out of curiosity, how did this "disabling" happen?

Did you have the feature, and then it was suddenly gone? or did you install an update that removed it? what exactly happened?

7. danielwai

danielwai Member

Couldn't agree anymore.

8. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Basically one owner used the feature in situations that the car clearly warns it is not designed for (including in a construction zone) and complains that it is dangerous while demonstrating it to a tabloid newspaper. The tabloid notified the transport department and the transport department ordered Tesla to pull the update until they can verify the safety of it.

More details in the previous thread:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/56532-Tesla-gets-warning-letter-from-Transport-Department-for-auto-pilot

9. green1

green1 Active Member

I'm afraid that didn't answer my question at all. I asked how they disabled it, not why.

The OP didn't say they stopped rolling out the update, he said they disabled autopilot. That implies that cars that already had autopilot no longer do. So I want to know if they did it through a new software update that you had to accept, or if it just vanished? how exactly did the existing autopilot get disabled?

If this is not a case of existing autopilot enabled cars having the autopilot disabled, and rather it's a case of Tesla simply stopping the firmware rollout, I suggest a mod change the topic to make it more accurate.

10. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The existing cars with autopilot are having it remotely disabled, without a software update.

They are getting to their cars, and finding the two controversial features (AutoSteer and Lane Change Assistance) still "blue-button-enabled", but grayed out on the interface and non-operational.

Reportedly, transport department demanded Tesla HK (a) stop the roll out, and (b) disable it on cars that already had it. Demand (a) was complied with pretty quickly, but the response to demand (b) seems to be just starting now.

11. green1

green1 Active Member

So the icons are still there? but you try to enable it and get a message saying it's unavailable?

12. MrAustraliaTax

I am incredulous that Tesla is capable of crippling our cars without our consent. I am also incredulous that there hasn't been a much larger, much wider outcry over the fact that Tesla is capable of disabling features in our cars.

13. gubes

gubes Member

I am just frustrated that they don't fix the 3G problem. I am on V6.2 and have to re-boot it EVERY single time! I have to wait for 7.0 which is supposed to come out pending the autopilot thing (which I don't have). This is unacceptable. If the HK TD doesn't want it, at least give me a software update to fix my 3G issue.

14. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

This is just more Transport Department stupidity, much like their backward removal of the browser. Mind you, what else can be expected from a non elected government? Perhaps they will make us have a flag carrier run in front of our vehicle as we drive, as it is quiet. Clearly, as some seem to suggest here, we needed to be protected from ourselves.

15. Titus

Titus Member

#15 Titus, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Anyone know when they will ban AP in mainland China? :biggrin: I demand them to ban it there since we are under one system....oh wait lol :tongue: I'll be sure to add that to my list when I see the two guys who are running in my area's district elections if either of them support Tesla bringing back AP LOL hopefully before the elections in a week

Autopilot isn't legal yet. Should we lobby? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Or maybe it will be included as firm ware when they start building them in China LOL.
    Elon Musk says Tesla could start China car production in 2 years - Business Insider

And yeap I sure hope someone protects me and my family from being run down by cars that hits traffic cones on AP. Until they implement the full hands on steering wheel requirement in the next update or work out the bugs instead of using existing customers as guinea pigs doing their fleet learning and AI improvements, I hope your loved ones are protected too even if you don't wish the same protection on them.

16. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

MrA,
    They had a command from the owner's government to do so.......

17. Titus

Titus Member

Just wait till the first case of someone hacking into a car and disabling something like the steering or brakes if Tesla can remotely disable auto steering functions

18. nghktom

nghktom Member

Icon disappeared, force removal with an email. Understand it is pressure from the stupid government. However, we paid for this, and if this is not to be released, can we lodge a complaint to consumer affair or the custom ?

19. Mille Pun

Mille Pun Member

Turn OFF energy save and always connected, that's an alternative that WORKS

20. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Clearly your car doesn't have autopilot. It is less safe not using it, the capability of a driver to monitor what is happening is far greater with AP on. If you had used it, you would have noticed that it almost never behaves badly if it's used in highway driving as advertised. I have probably done more km than anyone on HK on it and it works safely and reliably.