Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Disappoints Again...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I got the point entirely.

Ordered the car way too late, delivery slipped, causing the tax credit to go away.

Sucks, but giving yourself less than a week with zero possibility of recovery in case of a problem isn't exactly conducive to maximization of available resources ...

As you said, having 4 previous Teslae, the OP knows what he's doing.

My ding against Tesla would of course be for the unsympathetic person in the Las Vegas call center; never an excuse for a less-than-enthusiastic customer service experience... but given all I'm sure they're dealing with, an order on 12/23 that slipped a few days is probably very far from the worst story they've heard today... probably not even the last hour.

Sorry if I wasn't clear with the facts. I didn't order the car and expect to get it in one day. I purchased a car that was in inventory and was told that it would be delivered the next day.

I prefer not get my car during crunch time.

Chances are price might get adjusted and improvement tweaks are always happening.

If you have that much experience with Tesla you should know this close to end of year as well as inventory cars are a crap shoot.

It’s better than showing up and not delivering and that has been happening. And they are being realistic on how much they can handle.

I ordered an inventory car from the Scottsdale, AZ location on 12/23 and was scheduling delivery for 12/24 as this was a Christmas present for my wife. I received a call and text late on 12/23 stating that the car was NOT in inventory but was still in production. I was not happy but was told that the car would absolutely be delivered on 12/28 so I could take advantage of the tax credit.

Don't expect much empathy in this forum. You'll be accused of being a TSLA short, etc. That said, I too am a long time owner... and have had this BS pulled on me as well.

However, if you've really had four Tesla's... you should know by now... Tesla is all about over-promise, under deliver.

Watch how many dislikes this post gets... ;-)

I prefer not get my car during crunch time.

Chances are price might get adjusted and improvement tweaks are always happening.

If you have that much experience with Tesla you should know this close to end of year as well as inventory cars are a crap shoot.

It’s better than showing up and not delivering and that has been happening. And they are being realistic on how much they can handle.

The problem sound be lessened a bit now that the Federal incentives are gone. But a big part of the issues lie in Tesla having a single factory. NUMMI (GM and Toyota) Motors which built the Fremont plant was able to produce around 310,000 cars per year out of that plant. Tesla is closing in on 400,000/year. So even with the expansion into the "tent" Tesla is really stretching the plant's capacity.

That means Tesla must schedule the production lines at the facility to produce for different market at different times. A Tesla rep explained it as being like a fire hose shooting out cars. When the hose is aimed at Europe (early months of the quarter due to shipping times) most of the production is cars for Europe (meeting EU and other law specs) with a few cars for other markets. Then they shift to Asia. And then the Americas.

The China Gigafactory should help reduce the load since it will target China and the rest of Asia. And the German Gigafactory will produce cars for Europe and potentially the US. So hopefully lead times will shrink.

But, Tesla does have potential issue with the Model Y coming soon. We know how people worldwide like their small SUVs.

And while demand outstripping production is a good problem to have, it is still an issue to deal with.

Don't expect much empathy in this forum. You'll be accused of being a TSLA short, etc. That said, I too am a long time owner... and have had this BS pulled on me as well.

However, if you've really had four Tesla's... you should know by now... Tesla is all about over-promise, under deliver.

Watch how many dislikes this post gets... ;-)

Thing is as a 2-Tesla family, your experience hasn’t been had by us and likely the majority of Tesla purchasers. So yeah your experience/opinion may very well resound with a number of owners with similar experience, but based on the number of Teslas sold and not everyone shouting this out on the internet, the vast percentage of owners have had a positive ownership experience. Clearly you have had your issues and are unhappy and want to share that. I had issues with my last-ever Toyota at a dealership and won’t touch another ever so get it.

Sounds like the OP is mostly offended because the delivery employee told him matter of factly that he was not getting his car. He wanted someone to more clearly explain all the details and show compassion that the car was going to be delayed.

Also that OP had promised his wife they were getting the car, and he was going to need to deal with here disappointment, and perhaps her feeling that he had failed in his promise.

His hopes were up and he had his mind set on pulling off the deal at the last possible moment, but "alas...it was not to be".

I believe that Tesla employees are told to give customers the bad news, in cases where they were going to not get a hoped for delivery. They need to do this quickly, and inform the customer that it is 100% not going to happen, as the natural tendency for most of us is to ramp up our efforts to do what ever is necessary to get that last minute tax benefit. We will plead, bargain, ask for them to check again, walk around the lot, show up at the delivery center, call a friend in the company, demand that they get their car....etc.

New member. Never posted here before this flame thread, but claims to have had 4 previous Teslas. Hmmm.

This crossed my mind as well. Except that the source of FUD typically comes up with better stories. We'll never know, but I don't doubt this sort of thing happens. (Could you imagine the work pressure if you're involved in a delay that ends up causing Tesla to miss their 360K goal? I take Musk to be a Drill Sergeant on these matters, top down, with goals always a bit beyond what seems possible... by design... which he himself follows.)

No, instead this could be worse. There must be a manufacturing problem and why the stock sell off today.

Just kidding... it's complicated ;)

More likely, the OP has had exceptional service and product satisfaction on the last 4 Teslae (new word now?), and just experienced the first hiccup. Now that's amazing if you think about it.

So hang in there buddy, it's bound to happen and Tesla always comes through for me. I'd be pissed off too, and maybe enough to get on this forum first time. So how long since you last purchased one?

I ordered an inventory car from the Scottsdale, AZ location on 12/23 and was scheduling delivery for 12/24 as this was a Christmas present for my wife. I received a call and text late on 12/23 stating that the car was NOT in inventory but was still in production. I was not happy but was told that the car would absolutely be delivered on 12/28 so I could take advantage of the tax credit. I received both a text and a call today confirming my delivery date and time of 430pm on 12/28. I just received another call stating that they will not be able to deliver the car until January 2020. I will not receive the tax credit and the value of my trade will also not be honored beyond 12/31. The caller was not apologetic and didn't care about the loss of the tax credit or the value of my trade. He couldn't have been more rude.... This would have been the 5thTesla for me but will now be my last.
Heck my Amazon orders that were put in before Christmas won’t get there until Jan. Give the darn delivery team a break. They get destroyed EOQ and barely get a Christmas holiday at that. Next time plan your purchase a little better so you aren’t setting yourself up for disappointment.

Thing is as a 2-Tesla family, your experience hasn’t been had by us and likely the majority of Tesla purchasers. So yeah your experience/opinion may very well resound with a number of owners with similar experience, but based on the number of Teslas sold and not everyone shouting this out on the internet, the vast percentage of owners have had a positive ownership experience. Clearly you have had your issues and are unhappy and want to share that. I had issues with my last-ever Toyota at a dealership and won’t touch another ever so get it.

We are a 2 Tesla family now with our last BMW going to CarMax soon. We have owned/leased over 14 BMWs and I never see use buying another BMW unless it is something at least as good as the Model 3 LR or Model X.

...and not everyone shouting this out on the internet, the vast percentage of owners have had a positive ownership experience. Clearly you have had your issues and are unhappy and want to share that. I had issues with my last-ever Toyota at a dealership and won’t touch another ever so get it.

Tesla owners are much different than Toyota owners.

Most Tesla owners didn't just buy a "car" they've chosen a CULTure and feel very more "involved" in the ownership experience... by way of just having to explain it to their friends, family, etc.

e.g. You've posted over 6200 times in less than 3 years on TMC. I doubt you've had that much activity in a Toyota Forum.

Thus... it's more common that Tesla owners are overly defensive of the company and sycophantic of Elon... (and a lot of owners also buy Tesla stock... unlike Toyota owners. Vested bias. You?)

While any company would love this; over time when you over-promise and under-deliver... eventually the polish wears off.

I've owned 3 Tesla's. I still own TSLA stock. I'm not a short.

I'm just jaded by years of ownership.

My Honda was more reliable.

I don't fart roses for anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: OUengineer
Heck my Amazon orders that were put in before Christmas won’t get there until Jan. Give the darn delivery team a break.

...and Amazon likely told you when you ordered... that they wouldn't arrive until January. Big difference.

They get destroyed EOQ and barely get a Christmas holiday at that.

Tesla delays some US deliveries to next year in end-of-year rush - Electrek

Sales teams sell cars to make EOY goals... then can't deliver; customers get screwed out of the tax credit... poor poor Tesla?

This isn't their first rodeo.

The problem sound be lessened a bit now that the Federal incentives are gone. But a big part of the issues lie in Tesla having a single factory. NUMMI (GM and Toyota) Motors which built the Fremont plant was able to produce around 310,000 cars per year out of that plant. Tesla is closing in on 400,000/year. So even with the expansion into the "tent" Tesla is really stretching the plant's capacity..
Nummi workers say their final good-byes says "2006: Production at the Nummi plant peaks at 428,632 cars and trucks."

I've also seen numerous sources (e.g. Tesla bought an old GM-Toyota factory and made it cool — but in its former life it built a lot more cars) say that NUMMI had a manufacturing capacity of 500,000/year.

• Informative
Reactions: aaron0k
Nummi workers say their final good-byes says "2006: Production at the Nummi plant peaks at 428,632 cars and trucks."

I've also seen numerous sources (e.g. Tesla bought an old GM-Toyota factory and made it cool — but in its former life it built a lot more cars) say that NUMMI had a manufacturing capacity of 500,000/year.

Isn't Tesla producing a higher percentage of parts in house than GM etc typically do? Are they doing that at the NUMMI plant? That would make it harder to equal GM/Toyota output with just in time delivery. I know they fired the seat vendor and make seats at a nearby plant.

These end of quarter pushes really need to end. Most of the issues would go away.

But 4 Tesla’s and this is your first time posting here?

Rebates are all over now. While Tesla will still push sales at the end of the quarter theres no real downfall for the buyer if a delivery stretches into the next month. I don't think you'll run into this kind of thing again.