TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla discontinuing 75kwh packs

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Jan 9, 2019.

1. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I imagine Tesla have taken this decision to allow more space to build extra Model 3.
    Hopefully it will result in an earlier Model 3 arrival locally.
    We can only hope, as I know a bunch of people waiting on Model 3.

2. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I don’t check the Tesla website as I used, but I have snuck a peek daily lately.
    SURELY another option will pop up?
    A 75kWh version in 21700s???

3. paulp

paulp Active Member

Th
    The 75D model S was preventing a higher price on the model 3 in the US, as the model S became better value. My hunch is that the US design studio will now soon see a more expensive model 3 option.

4. aegidius

aegidius Member

Esp. as none of the recent noise about international marketing to Eu and China etc. and its accompanying production ramp-up, mentions any RHD cars.

5. aegidius

aegidius Member

Those people will look, as I did, to the secondhand inventory and buy something from there instead. A secondhand S75, 85 or 90 will be an attractive alternative to the initially higher-priced new 3's.

6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

It's madness to discontinue the 75 cars.
    I have a S75D, purchase for $145,000 six months after putting a deposit down for M3.
    I was planning to get a new S75D rather than a M3 later this year. Now I will stick to the M3 rather than stretch to the S100D.

In fact, it's so mad I'm starting to think it's temporary, with some new packs coming through soon (eg. 90 and 120).

• Like x 1
  7. paulp

paulp Active Member

Tesla have just announced a new line up to replace the 75 kwh battery. Batteries will now be described like the model 3, and no australian pricing available yet. Looks like all will have the same battery with software limitations.

8. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Exactly what I suggested would be one of their options.....see ninth message in this thread....

9. miimura

miimura Active Member

Elon stated in the earnings call yesterday that they have no plans to change S & X to 2170 battery cells. However, logic dictates that it will eventually happen, just not that soon. There was a well placed rumor that Model S will get an interior refresh in 3Q 2019, so that may be a more logical time to incorporate major changes. For now, they can shut down the less dense 75kWh battery module assembly line. The 100 packs use a completely different battery module.

• Informative x 1
  10. Mikeisnomech

Mikeisnomech Member

Its odd they've announced they're stopping it as they're still building them and sending them out as new inventory cars looking for a home. Maybe the whole purpose of announcing was to shift stock - the "buy one now while you can" type of argument? Either way, about 100 new inventory 75Ds in Australia at the moment according to this site

Tesla Australia New and Used inventory car prices

..and with a few k off

• Informative x 2
  11. paulp

paulp Active Member

Given they stopped manufacture a week ago, and transit times take way more than that, I’d suggest there might be more stock on the water, potentially.

• Like x 1
  12. Mikeisnomech

Mikeisnomech Member

That certainly still seems to be the case, new cars are being added all the time to that site. The US have a different design studio that talks to the new model names but we just seem to have lost the 75D option