Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla discontinuing 75kwh packs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completely understand that, it has happened regularly - the car is so good when you test drive it, people will extend themselves to purchase one; but now with the 75 being ditched and the referral program gone - I think Tesla will lose those people, and there's a lot of them in my opinion. ArmArm - glad you got on board while you could.

Those people will look, as I did, to the secondhand inventory and buy something from there instead. A secondhand S75, 85 or 90 will be an attractive alternative to the initially higher-priced new 3's.

It's madness to discontinue the 75 cars.
I have a S75D, purchase for $145,000 six months after putting a deposit down for M3.
I was planning to get a new S75D rather than a M3 later this year. Now I will stick to the M3 rather than stretch to the S100D.

In fact, it's so mad I'm starting to think it's temporary, with some new packs coming through soon (eg. 90 and 120).

Reactions: ICUDoc
Elon stated in the earnings call yesterday that they have no plans to change S & X to 2170 battery cells. However, logic dictates that it will eventually happen, just not that soon. There was a well placed rumor that Model S will get an interior refresh in 3Q 2019, so that may be a more logical time to incorporate major changes. For now, they can shut down the less dense 75kWh battery module assembly line. The 100 packs use a completely different battery module.

• Informative
Reactions: Tension
Its odd they've announced they're stopping it as they're still building them and sending them out as new inventory cars looking for a home. Maybe the whole purpose of announcing was to shift stock - the "buy one now while you can" type of argument? Either way, about 100 new inventory 75Ds in Australia at the moment according to this site

Tesla Australia New and Used inventory car prices

..and with a few k off

Its odd they've announced they're stopping it as they're still building them and sending them out as new inventory cars looking for a home. Maybe the whole purpose of announcing was to shift stock - the "buy one now while you can" type of argument? Either way, about 100 new inventory 75Ds in Australia at the moment according to this site

Tesla Australia New and Used inventory car prices

..and with a few k off
Given they stopped manufacture a week ago, and transit times take way more than that, I’d suggest there might be more stock on the water, potentially.

Reactions: Tension
Given they stopped manufacture a week ago, and transit times take way more than that, I’d suggest there might be more stock on the water, potentially.
That certainly still seems to be the case, new cars are being added all the time to that site. The US have a different design studio that talks to the new model names but we just seem to have lost the 75D option

Exactly 1 year ago today, I test drove a Model X with ZERO intention of buying one (I did have a 3 reservation), I walked out of the store an hour later after placing a deposit for a 1000km service loaner X75D ... if there were only 100D's available at that point, there's NO WAY I ever would of bought one.
Same here ... walked in to reserve the M3 and was shattered to find it just wouldn't suit our needs! Was advised that it sounded like I needed a MX which I flatly refused to accept even a test drive in because it was a tank and way out of my price range. The MS wouldn't have suited either so I left absolutely shattered and returned 7 weeks later to take delivery of our gorgeous White MX 75D! This was already a huge stretch so the LR 100D would have been out of the question for me. Considering how I fill both trunks to capacity I'm so glad I jumped at the MX when I did and don't regret it one bit!