Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Discounts Basic Autopilot – $2,000 Until July 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Owners of Tesla vehicles not equipped with basic Autopilot can add the feature for the discounted price of $2,000 until July 1.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted about the software sale on Sunday.

New Tesla vehicles are outfitted with basic Autopilot as a standard feature, but many owners bought vehicles before that perk was offered. The Enhanced Autopilot package was previously offered for $5,000, while an even more enhanced autopilot dubbed Full Self-Driving was available for an enhanced price.

While Tesla owners have just over a week to pony up the money for features like computer-calculated steering and braking, it’s a good opportunity to install the value-adding features at a discount.

Musk also made note that the company’s Full Self-Driving package will increase by $1,000 on July 1 to $8,000.

Will you be upgrading your Tesla?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mrau and M109Rider
Features/Upgrades you buy from Tesla stay with the car and transfer to the new owner when you sell the car. This 2K upgrade will definitely increase the resale/trade-in value of the car.
You are both half-right.

If the car is sold privately the AP/FSD transfers with the car. If the car is sold to Tesla, Tesla decides whether to sell the car with its AP/FSD

You are both half-right.

If the car is sold privately the AP/FSD transfers with the car. If the car is sold to Tesla, Tesla decides whether to sell the car with its AP/FSD

No they are 100% correct. The features transfer to the new/next owner. In your case the next owner is Tesla. If the next owner is Tesla they can then decide to leave the feature on or remove it when they sell it.

Considering that all M3s now have adaptive cruise control & autosteer the 2018 M3s (which didn't come with any autopilot) should buy it so they can easily resell their cars.

BTW I got FSD on my 2018 M3 because I felt this was a once in a lifetime chance to experience its progress in REAL TIME. The changes over the last two years have been significant and it has been fun and interesting. FSD is a work in progress and we have the chance to experience and participate in it! Frankly, I have read and heard so many comments about purchasing FSD and expecting it to be done. When it's done it could be boring. I say CHILL and enjoy the ride now.

I was thinking that way for resale value later on (and I don't travel long trips often), but then, I expect to keep my car for 10 years, and 2kUSD now invested in stocks would be much better in the long run.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

Reactions: gecko10x
I missed the last price drop to $2K (about a year and a half ago?) and decided to pull the trigger this time. In my non-COVID life I had at least one highway commute per week. Now, it's more about getting out of town on weekends to camp. But, long term, I expect it'll be worth it.

This upgrade is also relevant to the SR owners. I purchased my (off-menu) 2020 SR at the end of December 2019 for $35k without AP. An SR+ at the time was $39,990. It saved me almost $5k.
But now that they reduced the price of the SR+ to $37,990 it doesn't make much sense to bother with the SR. The SR has a little less range, less acceleration, and a few more speakers deactivated.
I've got a request into the service department to see how much an upgrade to an SR+ would cost now.
I am definitely considering the $2k AP upgrade (down from $3k), but I really don't drive on the highway much. And would much rather have new wheels! But it also seems crazy to be driving a 2020 Tesla with 1980s dumb cruise control.

This upgrade is also relevant to the SR owners. I purchased my (off-menu) 2020 SR at the end of December 2019 for $35k without AP. An SR+ at the time was $39,990. It saved me almost $5k.
But now that they reduced the price of the SR+ to $37,990 it doesn't make much sense to bother with the SR. The SR has a little less range, less acceleration, and a few more speakers deactivated.
I've got a request into the service department to see how much an upgrade to an SR+ would cost now.
I am definitely considering the $2k AP upgrade (down from $3k), but I really don't drive on the highway much. And would much rather have new wheels! But it also seems crazy to be driving a 2020 Tesla with 1980s dumb cruise control.

I've been told the sr+ upgrade is now 5k. Up from previous 4.5k! I've checked twice with my advisor since the sr+ price change. If you get a different response please let us know!

I missed the last price drop to $2K (about a year and a half ago?) and decided to pull the trigger this time. In my non-COVID life I had at least one highway commute per week. Now, it's more about getting out of town on weekends to camp. But, long term, I expect it'll be worth it.

Yes - and one thing for people to keep in mind is that core AP itself also improves using the same neural net FSD does, so long term you will be able to drive on those country back roads or sketchy zones with ease.

Annotation 2020-06-23 152310.png

I'm in the same boat and I'd be curious to hear what you hear, please update us once you get an answer!

If the delta winds up being $2,000 over my SR for Autopilot alone and ~$2,990 for Autopilot, more range, and more power, that's a pretty clear-cut choice.

Hello everyone, first time post here. I've been driving my M3 AWD for exactly a year now and love it every time I sit in the car. My question is, can someone explain the difference between "Basic FSD" features and the "Autosteer" features I have now? Wondering what $2K gets me.

Thanks for the plethora of wisdom that's about to come down on me.

You paid 6k for fsd that is now offered for 2k and will next month be offered at 7k

Well, dumb cruise control always works and never phantom brakes.

People use TACC to make driving in traffic easier, not just for highway driving.

Reactions: gecko10x
You paid 6k for fsd that is now offered for 2k and will next month be offered at 7k
Off base. It's a liitle confusing because it has been developing: there are now two levels NOW:
1. Autopilot- adaptive cruise control and self driving in highway lanes (early M3 did not come with this feature. Now it comes with it unless you purchased the 35,000 car)
2. Full Self Driving

right. and FSD being so expensive is dumb unless it is the "final" autopilot. Remember how the OG autopilot was supposed to be the end all for full autonomous driving until Tesla decided to add more barriers and tiers?

I wouldnt be too surprised if Tesla eventually says "Oh, FSD isnt really full self driving. it's now renamed as 'full sense driving' ". If you really want level 5 autonomy, the feature will be called "super auto self driving" (SASD) and... it will be another $15k if you buy right now and be released in 2025. And if you want to buy it, you will need autopilot, full sense driving, and then SASD.

...And if you wait some more, it will get more expensive as it becomes more feature rich... buy now!

Btw the "features" you buy for your car only stay with the car ONLY while you own it. You sell your car? the features get removed. And the features are not transferable to any future cars you buy.

Way to iron fist Elon!

As a owner, I'm skeptical on Tesla's practices currently with piss poor customer service and their switch bait future. This will *not* change until there is a real competitor in the space to squeeze Elon's head a little.

As someone else has noted, the AP/FSD transfers to the new owner in a private party/3rd party dealer transaction. If you trade it in to Tesla they can strip the car of those features so the new owner has to buy them again. I don’t see anything wrong with this.