Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Discounts Basic Autopilot – $2,000 Until July 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Owners of Tesla vehicles not equipped with basic Autopilot can add the feature for the discounted price of $2,000 until July 1.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted about the software sale on Sunday.

New Tesla vehicles are outfitted with basic Autopilot as a standard feature, but many owners bought vehicles before that perk was offered. The Enhanced Autopilot package was previously offered for $5,000, while an even more enhanced autopilot dubbed Full Self-Driving was available for an enhanced price.

While Tesla owners have just over a week to pony up the money for features like computer-calculated steering and braking, it’s a good opportunity to install the value-adding features at a discount.

Musk also made note that the company’s Full Self-Driving package will increase by $1,000 on July 1 to $8,000.

Will you be upgrading your Tesla?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mrau and M109Rider
You are both half-right.

If the car is sold privately the AP/FSD transfers with the car. If the car is sold to Tesla, Tesla decides whether to sell the car with its AP/FSD

And even then, it’s up in the air. We bought a CPO Model S, that they listed as having autopilot. Delivery was a separate nightmare, but even at the pickup center, it wasn’t on the car. There was a dealership sticker in the glove box indicating that it came with the hardware and presumably software as well. They had to go in and see for sure if they truly listed the used car as having it. Honestly I was suspicious that this was even the right car due to all the failed attempts at getting it. They tried to “turn it on” there, which was also was a SC. They told us it would eventually turn on, probably by the time we got home. It took a week of phone calls to get them to turn it on.

I really don’t like the idea of Tesla turning off features. We have lifetime super charging, but have never tried it. We were going to take the car from Dallas to Houston this weekend, and use them for the very first time. The state isn’t very EV friendly so we were pretty much dependent on Tesla’s infrastructure. ...We ultimately decided to rent a car.

Owners of Tesla vehicles not equipped with basic Autopilot can add the feature for the discounted price of $2,000 until July 1. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted about the software sale on Sunday. Enabling basic Tesla Autopilot via Tesla in-app purchase is reduced to $2k until July 1— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 22, 2020...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/06/22/tesla-discounts-basic-autopilot-2000-until-july-1/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
I paid 58K and change for my 2018 Model 3 without Autopilot in November of 2018. Tesla should have retroactively installed that software in all the M3s when they began to add is as a standard feature. I will not pay another 2K for it as I do not think that is fair to those of us who don't have it. Also, since I am now retired and not commuting, I see little value in any of the self-driving features.

Reactions: cbkyro and gecko10x
Damn. My S which I bought in June last year did not have even basic AP. I threw $3k at Tesla about a month ago.

I'm happy with AP but wouldn't buy FSD for more than another $3k - I think FSD is a little like nuclear fusion power, it's been 5 years away for 30 years now...

Given the following:
  1. I tried Basic AP twice two years ago. Hated it both times, because:
    1. Too slow to accelerate when changing lanes to pass
    2. Didn't like being pinned to the middle of the lane (I prefer to bias away from surrounding cars)
  2. It's a commuter / around town car for me. 10 miles on highway most days. Traffic is generally pretty light. Once a month we drive 90 miles to the in-laws (which will cease in about 2 years when my wife gets an EV also).
  3. Except now I'm working from home. Likely will stay this way until fall, then I'm assuming I can arrange to only go into the office 2-3 days/week.
  4. $2k still seems like a lot of money
  5. I plan to keep the car another 8 years or so, but wife's car will be the road-trip vehicle, because she wants an SUV, and that's more comfortable for trips.
Tell me why I should still upgrade. Has it gotten that much better?

I paid 58K and change for my 2018 Model 3 without Autopilot in November of 2018. Tesla should have retroactively installed that software in all the M3s when they began to add is as a standard feature. I will not pay another 2K for it as I do not think that is fair to those of us who don't have it. Also, since I am now retired and not commuting, I see little value in any of the self-driving features.
I agree. Kind of feel like we've been cheated, however, I didn't like it when I tried, so part of me likes that I don't have it since you can't turn it off.

Given the following:
  1. I tried Basic AP twice two years ago. Hated it both times, because:
    1. Too slow to accelerate when changing lanes to pass
    2. Didn't like being pinned to the middle of the lane (I prefer to bias away from surrounding cars)
  2. It's a commuter / around town car for me. 10 miles on highway most days. Traffic is generally pretty light. Once a month we drive 90 miles to the in-laws (which will cease in about 2 years when my wife gets an EV also).
  3. Except now I'm working from home. Likely will stay this way until fall, then I'm assuming I can arrange to only go into the office 2-3 days/week.
  4. $2k still seems like a lot of money
  5. I plan to keep the car another 8 years or so, but wife's car will be the road-trip vehicle, because she wants an SUV, and that's more comfortable for trips.
Tell me why I should still upgrade. Has it gotten that much better?
I'm with you Gecko. I can better spend 2K on something of value like a fine guitar.

I have the August 2018 EAP (AP plus occasionally some other stuff, like Summon).

For $3K, I get upgraded hardware and resale value. I still don't think FSD will be a reality before I trade the car for a newer model. But at $3K, it *might* be worth the updated hardware/resale, and the possiblity that I get some pieces of FSD. But I'm happy with what AP does for me now.

I have a 2018 Model S with EAP (old NVidia chipset). It does pretty much everything I want it to do (or would trust it to do). I do think over time even the EAP will get smoother/better with the new chipset (more powerful) but I'm skeptical Tesla will ever get to FSD on city streets... Combine that with the fact that I'll probably get a Cyber Truck at some point and that will mean trading in the 2018 MS, I don't think I'm going to do it.

It would be MUCH EASIER to make this decision if Elon hit projected/promised dates for AP/EAP/FSD, etc but that hasn't been the case. I could easily send Tesla $2k and total the car before I ever get a SC appointment to upgrade the computers...

I don't like Elon's pressure tactic to milk money from people NOW for features that may (or may not) come later. It's kinda shady. If FSD was doing what they promised it would do RIGHT NOW I would think harder about it... but as it stands right now... Meh.

Convince me otherwise?

Without comment on whether "Enhanced Auto Pilot" is a desirable feature, or a feature you believe is valuable to you, on a strictly price comparison basis, the current $2,000 offer does seem like a bargain, a savings of $3,000 if I had waited 20 months to order EAP compared to the $5,000 price I paid in September 2018. Of course at the time, the Tesla hype created an atmosphere of constant price increases (starting with paint colors) for almost every option.

I reserved my M3 (AWD LR) in April 2016. Reservations for the performance model were offered first opportunity to order. I was given the opportunity to order my M3 (AWD LR) in June 2018 in time to include the free lifetime premium connectivity service. I passed on the extra cost for "Enhanced Auto Pilot" and FSD, not items I remembered as being touted priced options two years before in 2016.

In September 2018 I capitulated and added "Enhanced Auto Pilot" for $5,000!! to the order before the option would be supposedly increased in price again.

I took delivery in November 2018 in time IRS Tax rebate eligibility.

FSD Price Reduction?: Perhaps related to this, yesterday, 6-23-2020, I received both a direct Tesla e-mail and a Tesla app message offering the opportunity to "upgrade" my "Reduced Enhanced Autopilot" (I do not know that "reduced" means in this context) to FSD for $3,000 until July 1st. , which is a considerable savings over what I they were offering it for in September 2018. I will look at various now well populated blog posts to consider if FSD future is worth that price, and whether, once again, Tesla will bait and switch or lower the price.

Without comment on whether "Enhanced Auto Pilot" is a desirable feature, or a feature you believe is valuable to you, on a strictly price comparison basis, the current $2,000 offer does seem like a bargain, a savings of $3,000 if I had waited 20 months to order EAP compared to the $5,000 price I paid in September 2018. Of course at the time, the Tesla hype created an atmosphere of constant price increases (starting with paint colors) for almost every option.

I reserved my M3 (AWD LR) in April 2016. Reservations for the performance model were offered first opportunity to order. I was given the opportunity to order my M3 (AWD LR) in June 2018 in time to include the free lifetime premium connectivity service. I passed on the extra cost for "Enhanced Auto Pilot" and FSD, not items I remembered as being touted priced options two years before in 2016.

In September 2018 I capitulated and added "Enhanced Auto Pilot" for $5,000!! to the order before the option would be supposedly increased in price again.

I took delivery in November 2018 in time IRS Tax rebate eligibility.

FSD Price Reduction?: Perhaps related to this, yesterday, 6-23-2020, I received both a direct Tesla e-mail and a Tesla app message offering the opportunity to "upgrade" my "Reduced Enhanced Autopilot" (I do not know that "reduced" means in this context) to FSD for $3,000 until July 1st. , which is a considerable savings over what I they were offering it for in September 2018. I will look at various now well populated blog posts to consider if FSD future is worth that price, and whether, once again, Tesla will bait and switch or lower the price.
I think I paid $5k for EAP as well... I didn't notice the reduced. Just checked and my email also had that verbiage. Maybe reduced because it's EAP on the nVidia 2.5 hardware?

Pretty sure the "Reduced" just means that the price to upgrade to FSD has been reduced (by $1000) from what it was before now, just like the price for AP has been reduced by $1000 before what it was now. Tesla is just providing discounts for EAP owners to go to FSD as well. So instead of 4k to upgrade to FSD, it's just 3k. Make sense? They could have worded it better. I would have said "Upgrade price for Enhanced Autopilot to Full Self-Driving Capability reduced until July 1st".

105616398_10222678331977781_6864355683988823192_o.jpg

None available as far as I know.. from either MCU1 to 2 or 2.5 to 3.

Only 'discount' option is to source one from a wreck or a salvaged title car, retrofit and hope that either the aftermarket or Service Center, Mobile Service will activate it. A tall ask and a huge gamble.

MCU3 is also useless unless running FSD.