Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Discounts Basic Autopilot – $2,000 Until July 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Owners of Tesla vehicles not equipped with basic Autopilot can add the feature for the discounted price of $2,000 until July 1.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted about the software sale on Sunday.

New Tesla vehicles are outfitted with basic Autopilot as a standard feature, but many owners bought vehicles before that perk was offered. The Enhanced Autopilot package was previously offered for $5,000, while an even more enhanced autopilot dubbed Full Self-Driving was available for an enhanced price.

While Tesla owners have just over a week to pony up the money for features like computer-calculated steering and braking, it’s a good opportunity to install the value-adding features at a discount.

Musk also made note that the company’s Full Self-Driving package will increase by $1,000 on July 1 to $8,000.

Will you be upgrading your Tesla?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mrau and M109Rider
I got the email from Tesla yesterday announcing the discount to $2,000 for AP and after having slept on it I decided to pull the trigger just now. I told myself when I bought my M3 March of 2019 that if Tesla offered a discount I would purchase it and now knowing it comes standard on all new vehicles it will only help if/when I decide to sell it in the private market. Besides, I still plan on driving it for at least another 5-6 years, so $2,000 spread out over that period seems fair enough to me.

Reactions: SlimJim and mrau
right. and FSD being so expensive is dumb unless it is the "final" autopilot. Remember how the OG autopilot was supposed to be the end all for full autonomous driving until Tesla decided to add more barriers and tiers?

I wouldnt be too surprised if Tesla eventually says "Oh, FSD isnt really full self driving. it's now renamed as 'full sense driving' ". If you really want level 5 autonomy, the feature will be called "super auto self driving" (SASD) and... it will be another $15k if you buy right now and be released in 2025. And if you want to buy it, you will need autopilot, full sense driving, and then SASD.

...And if you wait some more, it will get more expensive as it becomes more feature rich... buy now!

Btw the "features" you buy for your car only stay with the car ONLY while you own it. You sell your car? the features get removed. And the features are not transferable to any future cars you buy.

Way to iron fist Elon!

As a owner, I'm skeptical on Tesla's practices currently with piss poor customer service and their switch bait future. This will *not* change until there is a real competitor in the space to squeeze Elon's head a little.

MagnusMako, Today at 4:22 PM said:
Pretty sure the "Reduced" just means that the price to upgrade to FSD has been reduced (by $1000) from what it was before now, just like the price for AP has been reduced by $1000 before what it was now. Tesla is just providing discounts for EAP owners to go to FSD as well. So instead of 4k to upgrade to FSD, it's just 3k. Make sense? They could have worded it better. I would have said "Upgrade price for Enhanced Autopilot to Full Self-Driving Capability reduced until July 1st".

Yes this definitely makes sense and answers my question. I definitely agree about the awkward wording. Thanks for your help.

> 2. Didn't like being pinned to the middle of the lane (I prefer to bias away from surrounding cars)

This is probably my #1 complaint about lane keeping. They could SO easily allow the thumbwheels to nudge you like 20%, 35%, or 50% closer (meaning, of the distance between outside of car to edge of lane), to the right or left side of the lane, and maintain that lane keeping distance from the right or left.

Reactions: KenC
> 2. Didn't like being pinned to the middle of the lane (I prefer to bias away from surrounding cars)

This is probably my #1 complaint about lane keeping. They could SO easily allow the thumbwheels to nudge you like 20%, 35%, or 50% closer (meaning, of the distance between outside of car to edge of lane), to the right or left side of the lane, and maintain that lane keeping distance from the right or left.
well. if it is deemed dangerous enough just yank the steering wheel.

Owners of Tesla vehicles not equipped with basic Autopilot can add the feature for the discounted price of $2,000 until July 1. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted about the software sale on Sunday. Enabling basic Tesla Autopilot via Tesla in-app purchase is reduced to $2k until July 1— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 22, 2020...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/06/22/tesla-discounts-basic-autopilot-2000-until-july-1/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

I have a Model 3 from 2013 with no automatic driving at all (except basic cruise control). Will this version of basic Autopilot be available for my car?

Owners of Tesla vehicles not equipped with basic Autopilot can add the feature for the discounted price of $2,000 until July 1. Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted about the software sale on Sunday. Enabling basic Tesla Autopilot via Tesla in-app purchase is reduced to $2k until July 1— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 22, 2020...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/06/22/tesla-discounts-basic-autopilot-2000-until-july-1/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
I paid about $5000 for autopilot and future upgrades in November last year when I bought the Model 3. I have engaged the autopilot only a few times. The last time was on a local, undulating, winding, two lane road with lines on the pavement. In approaching a turn, the car went across the double, solid, yellow line. It was not comforting. Fortunately, there was no oncoming traffic. This feature of the car has a long way to go before I will trust it to control the vehicle.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
I don't get it. I purchased a Mod 3 Dec, 2019. Cost me total $62,500 w/enhanced auto driving. Enhanced alone was $5,000. Now Tesla wants me to spend another $3,000 for FSD? Ludicrous. Another $10,000. I can buy a Model S. Go figure. I thought I was a loyal customer. Going to put on hold being a two car electric family for fear of hidden costs. Very disappointed to say the least. cheers

Reactions: cbkyro
The irony is they desperately need people with the FSD out there beta testing for them. So far it seems like enough people had put up the cash to pay for the privilege of testing for them. I guess they now need more data and are feeling the heat.

I paid 58K and change for my 2018 Model 3 without Autopilot in November of 2018. Tesla should have retroactively installed that software in all the M3s when they began to add is as a standard feature. I will not pay another 2K for it as I do not think that is fair to those of us who don't have it. Also, since I am now retired and not commuting, I see little value in any of the self-driving features.

100% agree with you. My final bill for December 2018 M3 AWD was $61,015.37 with no software upgrades.

Production costs come down, so I can accept the vehicle costing less today. But to include AP for customers who purchased after our time, and include Premium connectivity for life for those before us... that's just poor treatment of an existing relationship and ongoing customer. I will note that my buddy who purchased the same vehicle in June with all software upgrades still paid less than us and has Premium connectivity.

They would do better to offer us AP+FSD for $8k honestly. That would be fair.