Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Discounts Basic Autopilot – $2,000 Until July 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Owners of Tesla vehicles not equipped with basic Autopilot can add the feature for the discounted price of $2,000 until July 1.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted about the software sale on Sunday.

New Tesla vehicles are outfitted with basic Autopilot as a standard feature, but many owners bought vehicles before that perk was offered. The Enhanced Autopilot package was previously offered for $5,000, while an even more enhanced autopilot dubbed Full Self-Driving was available for an enhanced price.

While Tesla owners have just over a week to pony up the money for features like computer-calculated steering and braking, it’s a good opportunity to install the value-adding features at a discount.

Musk also made note that the company’s Full Self-Driving package will increase by $1,000 on July 1 to $8,000.

Will you be upgrading your Tesla?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mrau and M109Rider
Has basic AP continued to get better over time? I don’t have either AP nor FSD on my 2.5HW 2018 Mid Range. I’m considering the AP at $2k, but was curious if all new updates/fixes are geared towards FSD only and AP is now where it will always remain - which from reading this thread seems like a decent state.

Has basic AP continued to get better over time? I don’t have either AP nor FSD on my 2.5HW 2018 Mid Range. I’m considering the AP at $2k, but was curious if all new updates/fixes are geared towards FSD only and AP is now where it will always remain - which from reading this thread seems like a decent state.

Also can anyone with basic AP confirm that while the AP is on, the car will come to a complete stop if the car in front of me is stopped, and will resume acceleration once the car in front of me begins to go without the need for me to use either the brake/accelerator pedals?

It's not likely to get any new features, but any improvements to the code used in FSD for things like smoothing slowing/accelerating in traffic when following a car- or lane keeping- are likely to filter down (esp on HW3 cars).

And yes it'll slow all the way to 0, and resume to speed, when following another car with no intervention needed by the driver.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gator Rican
I have standar rage model 3. Does any know if I take this deal, and later decide to upgrade my model 3 to sr+ would I still have to pay 3K. Or would the amount be lower since I already have autopilot installed.

I've been trying to figure this out for the past week. I'm wondering if the AP discount and the general price reduction of the SR+ has reduced the price to upgrade from an SR to an SR+.
Also trying to figure out if I get AP now, can I later add the other features of the SR+ for a reduced price since I've already paid for AP.

Let me know if you find anything out. I've reached out to 4 Service Centers and did an online chat on Tesla.com with no real answers yet.

So, I must be one of the few crazy hold-outs here....I just don't see the value: Active cruise control and self steering (staying in the center of the lane) for $2K. Am I missing something? I thought the car would modulate the speed and control the steering, and follow the Nav directions (including lane change) but I spoke to a Tesla rep today and he said it would only modulate the speed and not take any inputs from the Nav. Is this correct? I would cough up the $2K if there's Nav integration. He also said that AP does not provide Summon. Please correct me if I have this wrong. Thanks in advance.

So, I must be one of the few crazy hold-outs here....I just don't see the value: Active cruise control and self steering (staying in the center of the lane) for $2K. Am I missing something? I thought the car would modulate the speed and control the steering, and follow the Nav directions (including lane change) but I spoke to a Tesla rep today and he said it would only modulate the speed and not take any inputs from the Nav. Is this correct? I would cough up the $2K if there's Nav integration. He also said that AP does not provide Summon. Please correct me if I have this wrong. Thanks in advance.
That's the difference between AP and FSD.
AP is just lane keeping and CC that maintains distance with the car in front.

Last edited:

Nope, you got it right. You have to buy FSD to get Summon or have it follow navigation directions. Which would require purchasing AP, $2k, and FSD, $7k, for a total of $9k. Of course come Wednesday the price of both goes up $1k/each, so it will cost $11k to upgrade if you pass on the current deal.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I'm going to pass on this "deal". I'm sure Elon will drop his drawers again soon when he hits a cash crunch. I'm still smarting from the fact that us, first adopters are the ones that Elon shafted the most by charging us full price and then quickly dropping the price, and throwing in AP for free in the newer models. The least he could have done is provide the first adopters with free AP.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I'm going to pass on this "deal". I'm sure Elon will drop his drawers again soon when he hits a cash crunch. I'm still smarting from the fact that us, first adopters are the ones that Elon shafted the most by charging us full price and then quickly dropping the price, and throwing in AP for free in the newer models. The least he could have done is provide the first adopters with free AP.
When AP became a standard equipment, the MSRP went up by $2000 for all models. The "sale" is actually just the leveling of the field.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm sure Elon will drop his drawers again soon when he hits a cash crunch.

I think it is highly unlikely that he will discount it again.

I'm still smarting from the fact that us, first adopters are the ones that Elon shafted the most by charging us full price and then quickly dropping the price, and throwing in AP for free in the newer models. The least he could have done is provide the first adopters with free AP.

No, that isn't what happened. You likely got more federal tax credit than people that bought the cars for less. Also, they didn't add AP for free, they actually raised the price of the car when they made it a standard feature.

Reactions: Tpstulane
Greetings,

I'm not going to opine on whether these upgrades are “worth it,” that’s going to vary by person. Just a couple of quick comments from a Model S owner of about a month.

I've got FSD, but it’s obvious how much more pleasant even basic AP makes long trips. And, I’m almost looking forward to the return of bumper to bumper traffic in the DC area for how much easier that will be without having to move my foot from accelerator to brake and back all the time.

Navigate on AutoPilot is a bit of a curiosity for now. I’m always studying how the car perceives what to do and when to do it. It’s a bit more distracting for now.

Summon (I’ve tried it twice in empty high school parking lots) is freaky. Your car becomes a ghost car. Maybe I’ll use it someday IRL?

Autoparking is cool, and the car does exceptionally well. Parks better than I can. And, it’s a different kind of freaky, because you’re in the car when it does it.

Todd

Thanks gents for the clarifications and corrections - much appreciated! I see that many ascribe a high value to the AP feature - I like to drive, and retain control. Consequently, I currently don't see much value in the feature and prefer to hold onto my cash

So the $1k discount expires tonight.

Honestly, I don't really need AP at all. I rarely hit traffic and I only go on 100+ mile trip like 5 times a year.

I'm still considering getting it because it increase resale value to private buyers. I plan to sell my now discontinued metallic silver AWD LR model 3 with 19" sport wheels in 5 years time (purchased 9/2018).

If I invest the $2K now, do you think I will actually get most of the $2k back in the resale value? if so, its a no brainer.