Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Discounts Basic Autopilot – $2,000 Until July 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Owners of Tesla vehicles not equipped with basic Autopilot can add the feature for the discounted price of $2,000 until July 1.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted about the software sale on Sunday.

New Tesla vehicles are outfitted with basic Autopilot as a standard feature, but many owners bought vehicles before that perk was offered. The Enhanced Autopilot package was previously offered for $5,000, while an even more enhanced autopilot dubbed Full Self-Driving was available for an enhanced price.

While Tesla owners have just over a week to pony up the money for features like computer-calculated steering and braking, it’s a good opportunity to install the value-adding features at a discount.

Musk also made note that the company’s Full Self-Driving package will increase by $1,000 on July 1 to $8,000.

Will you be upgrading your Tesla?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mrau and M109Rider
Also to clarify, what I'm looking to understand is if I sell my car without autopilot, will I lose out more than $2k in resale value? because if yes, then it makes to buy it just for resale purposes even if I hardly use it

I would think that if the car doesn't come with Autopilot, it would make your car less appealing to potential buyers, atleast in my opinion. For $2k, I think it's worth it, regardless for the purpose of resell or not.

Reactions: ebNautilus
Also to clarify, what I'm looking to understand is if I sell my car without autopilot, will I lose out more than $2k in resale value? because if yes, then it makes to buy it just for resale purposes even if I hardly use it

Who knows. If you sell it a year or two from now it’s likely that a buyer will notice the lack of autopilot and expect to pay less. But if you hold on to the car for 8 years it’s likely that it will be worth so little that it won’t make much difference. But for $2K I do think it’s worth upgrading.

Reactions: ebNautilus
is it pretty instant to get the refund? I know there is a "request refund" link in the purchase history. Do you have to actually talk to a support agent, or is it guaranteed you'll get the refund? seems like a good back pocket way of getting a trial

Assuming they turn even a 1 cent profit this quarter it's unlikely they'll run FSD sales again in the future as it indicates they'll no longer need to.

And of course a $1000 sale next quarter would still be $1000 more than if you'd bought yesterday.

Reactions: MP3Mike
So the $1k discount expires tonight.

Honestly, I don't really need AP at all. I rarely hit traffic and I only go on 100+ mile trip like 5 times a year.

I'm still considering getting it because it increase resale value to private buyers. I plan to sell my now discontinued metallic silver AWD LR model 3 with 19" sport wheels in 5 years time (purchased 9/2018).

If I invest the $2K now, do you think I will actually get most of the $2k back in the resale value? if so, its a no brainer.
Very much doubt you’ll get a fair return. My guess is that the $2K you spend will depreciate at the same rate as the car (which is significant).

The 2000$ u invest in AP u rarely use can be placed now in let's say TSLA stock and you'd be gaining 83$ USD profit as of now lol (-9.95$USD x 2 for fee)

By the time FSD becomes reliable, I'll probably be in the market for another car. Definitely a nice novelty feature to have but I'll pass. I'd seriously consider it if I had AP but since I have EAP (and most of the usable FSD features along with it that I care about), I'm going to wait. Wouldn't be surprised to see another sale down the road. The last time when FSD went for $2K people were saying it wouldn't go on sale again yet it did (albeit for $1K more, at least for existing EAP owners).

By the time FSD becomes reliable, I'll probably be in the market for another car. Definitely a nice novelty feature to have but I'll pass. I'd seriously consider it if I had AP but since I have EAP (and most of the usable FSD features along with it that I care about), I'm going to wait. Wouldn't be surprised to see another sale down the road. The last time when FSD went for $2K people were saying it wouldn't go on sale again yet it did (albeit for $1K more, at least for existing EAP owners).
Wrong thread it seems.

I bought full priced autopilot on 6-9-2020. The sale was less than 2 weeks away. They didn’t budge on refunding the difference.

I was resigned to keep it. I used a bunch of credit card reward cash. So it was what it was.

I figured I’d hit chase up and see if they would refund the difference. Especially since I hadn’t actually paid the bill yet. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Today 7-8-2020 I got my autopilot stripped from the car and a full refund heading my way.

Given posts about adding to resale value and that it really doesn’t, I’m glad to have my money back. I did 3000 miles of heavy driving with it and it was ok. Now I can upgrade $3k sooner and AP will be standard. I paid $48990 in early 2019 and now the same car with HW 3 computer and AP is 2k less.

Worst part, my daughter is going to miss rainbow road. She’s going to be mad. She’s 6.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
I did get the $2k deal and promptly twice drove round trip to Atlanta 7 hrs each way, perfect timing. I held out for 18 months. AP feels like it did not advance much since the preview. Btw - M3 is a really great long range car.