Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

coffeemater

Jun 30, 2020
California
Also to clarify, what I'm looking to understand is if I sell my car without autopilot, will I lose out more than $2k in resale value? because if yes, then it makes to buy it just for resale purposes even if I hardly use it

Sep 24, 2019
Great Falls, VA
Does anyone know if the $2k Traffic Aware Control and Auto Steer option has pothole avoidance capability, or does it just center you in the lane and nail all the potholes and road craters? Also, seems like this end of quarter push for more sales to beat guidance could happen again.

The_Observer

Feb 14, 2020
Los Angeles
Also to clarify, what I'm looking to understand is if I sell my car without autopilot, will I lose out more than $2k in resale value? because if yes, then it makes to buy it just for resale purposes even if I hardly use it

I would think that if the car doesn't come with Autopilot, it would make your car less appealing to potential buyers, atleast in my opinion. For $2k, I think it's worth it, regardless for the purpose of resell or not.

Reactions: ebNautilus

OCR1

Jan 28, 2018
Southern California

Who knows. If you sell it a year or two from now it’s likely that a buyer will notice the lack of autopilot and expect to pay less. But if you hold on to the car for 8 years it’s likely that it will be worth so little that it won’t make much difference. But for $2K I do think it’s worth upgrading.

Reactions: ebNautilus

Stickboy46

Feb 27, 2020
Kansas
Personally I held off. I enjoy driving and would rather put the 2k towards acceleration boost or new wheels.

I bought both the Acceleration Boost and FSD upgrade yesterday to try both out. I'm returning the FSD today. Acceleration boost is worth every penny IMO.

Though - if I didn't have AP, I'd drop 2k on it also.

coffeemater

Jun 30, 2020
California
is it pretty instant to get the refund? I know there is a "request refund" link in the purchase history. Do you have to actually talk to a support agent, or is it guaranteed you'll get the refund? seems like a good back pocket way of getting a trial

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
Assuming they turn even a 1 cent profit this quarter it's unlikely they'll run FSD sales again in the future as it indicates they'll no longer need to.

And of course a $1000 sale next quarter would still be $1000 more than if you'd bought yesterday.

Reactions: MP3Mike

khoon

Jul 3, 2018
NYC
So the $1k discount expires tonight.

Honestly, I don't really need AP at all. I rarely hit traffic and I only go on 100+ mile trip like 5 times a year.

I'm still considering getting it because it increase resale value to private buyers. I plan to sell my now discontinued metallic silver AWD LR model 3 with 19" sport wheels in 5 years time (purchased 9/2018).

If I invest the $2K now, do you think I will actually get most of the $2k back in the resale value? if so, its a no brainer.
Very much doubt you’ll get a fair return. My guess is that the $2K you spend will depreciate at the same rate as the car (which is significant).

Knightshade

Jul 31, 2017
NC
I ran a side by side comparison of trade in values for my car with and w/o FSD. The difference was less than $200. Accordingly I decided to pass.

trade in values from whom?

Because obviously that's going to make a large difference.

(probably even a larger one in private sale but side by side would be much harder there)

Yragorn

Jun 6, 2019
Montreal

The 2000$ u invest in AP u rarely use can be placed now in let's say TSLA stock and you'd be gaining 83$ USD profit as of now lol (-9.95$USD x 2 for fee)

chasemym3

Apr 10, 2018
Riverside, CA
By the time FSD becomes reliable, I'll probably be in the market for another car. Definitely a nice novelty feature to have but I'll pass. I'd seriously consider it if I had AP but since I have EAP (and most of the usable FSD features along with it that I care about), I'm going to wait. Wouldn't be surprised to see another sale down the road. The last time when FSD went for $2K people were saying it wouldn't go on sale again yet it did (albeit for $1K more, at least for existing EAP owners).

SlimJim

Jul 25, 2019
USA
By the time FSD becomes reliable, I'll probably be in the market for another car. Definitely a nice novelty feature to have but I'll pass. I'd seriously consider it if I had AP but since I have EAP (and most of the usable FSD features along with it that I care about), I'm going to wait. Wouldn't be surprised to see another sale down the road. The last time when FSD went for $2K people were saying it wouldn't go on sale again yet it did (albeit for $1K more, at least for existing EAP owners).
Wrong thread it seems.

mikeskuro

Apr 27, 2019
Woodstock Vermont
I bought full priced autopilot on 6-9-2020. The sale was less than 2 weeks away. They didn’t budge on refunding the difference.

I was resigned to keep it. I used a bunch of credit card reward cash. So it was what it was.

I figured I’d hit chase up and see if they would refund the difference. Especially since I hadn’t actually paid the bill yet. That was about 2 weeks ago.

Today 7-8-2020 I got my autopilot stripped from the car and a full refund heading my way.

Given posts about adding to resale value and that it really doesn’t, I’m glad to have my money back. I did 3000 miles of heavy driving with it and it was ok. Now I can upgrade $3k sooner and AP will be standard. I paid $48990 in early 2019 and now the same car with HW 3 computer and AP is 2k less.

Worst part, my daughter is going to miss rainbow road. She’s going to be mad. She’s 6.

Reactions: AdamMacDon

pipestem

post-newbie
Nov 29, 2018
Center of the Universe
I did get the $2k deal and promptly twice drove round trip to Atlanta 7 hrs each way, perfect timing. I held out for 18 months. AP feels like it did not advance much since the preview. Btw - M3 is a really great long range car.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC