TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla "Doing the Right Thing" - new car delivery gone wrong

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by geddon_jt, Apr 12, 2017.

1. geddon_jt

geddon_jt Member

I'm not one to have sour grapes and I'm not making this post for purposes of straightening out my personal situation or squeezing money from Tesla. Within the past 24 hours my March 2 X75D new car order transitioned from a thing of great excitement for my Wife and I to a cancelled order 5 minutes ago. I thought other people be aware of our experience should their brand new car arrive with "cosmetic issues" at delivery.

I ordered our X75D on March 2 and everything until 24 hours ago was great. Delivery was set for this Friday 4/14. I received a text yesterday afternoon that our DS identified a paint blemish on the rear of the car, directly where the rear windshield meets the area under the fixed spoiler. We got photos and a video, it looks like a wad of gum about the size of your pinky tip was stuck to the frame and painted over. I was told there is no way to buff this out without a one week trip to the local service center where the entire rear windshield had to be removed to fix the paint - it was described to me as a "difficult" job. Well, we were totally let down - take the car with an obvious cosmetic blemish or get delivery pushed back and take a brand new car that had undergone a major repair prior to delivery. This of course is around a $100k car.

Tesla offered us "$300 credit toward our next service" if we were to take the car with the blemish. My wife and I talked it over last night and thought, well, let's get it repaired it will probably be fine, although I was certainly worried about leakage and road noise issues having the entire rear windshield removed. So, I called our DS and advised her hey, go ahead and send it in to the service center, we'll take delivery when finished. We requested Tesla offer us all weather mats plus the $300 service credit for our trouble. She said she would look into it. Around lunchtime, I got a text saying "we can't do the floor mats, but we will honor the $300 service credit." I couldn't believe it! And that was that, I politely asked her to cancel my order.

A few hours later I got another message "well, we can offer your first scheduled service for free instead, that roughly equates to what you wanted with the floor mats." I texted the DS politely to have her leadership call me. Got a phone call from the local "service advisor" basically that wound up basically with her saying "do you want me to ask my supervisor again about those floor mats or process your cancellation?" She was clear that they were not willng to offer anything off the MSRP price of the car for taking delivery after a week of body work in the shop for a brand new car.

Tesla should have offered reasonable money off the purchase price up front without putting me in a position of asking for anything. I was willing to resolve the issue but they wanted to press the issue over floor mats costing $160 retail or something silly. Elon Musk's statement clearly says MSRP applies to every new "pristine" car and that "discounts are ok where there is damage from the factory." We were ready to pay MSRP until we learned 24 hours ago that not only was our car not perfect, it needed a week of post-factory body work to get cosmetically perfect.

If anyone from Tesla reads this, do the right thing next time without putting the customer in a position of feeling like none of this is any big deal and offer reasonable compensation *up front* for accepting a brand new car that is demonstrably inferior to the lucky people who got one without issues. I guess this is the beginning and end of my Tesla story. This all went down in the Tampa Bay area. Very disappointed overall - this forum was helpful to me in deciding to order but hopefully my post will be helpful to someone else on the fence.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 3
    • Disagree x 3
  2. spentan

spentan Active Member

I would hardly consider this a major repair.

You can refuse delivery until it is fixed, making sure that you don't pay interest on the week in repair.

A first service for free is worth around the $600 or so. That's pretty good, I'd have been happy with that.

However, you cancelled your order over the $160 floor mats, which is 0.16% of the purchase price.

I don't mean any disrespect, but as a Tesla owner, who has bought 5 Model Ses, and 6 Model Xes, I can assure you, that you are the loser in this situation. Driving a Tesla is so much better than any other vehicle, by taking your money to another automaker, it's you that will suffer.

I would recommend you reconsider your decision, or ask for them to build you a new vehicle. Or look at getting an Inventory vehicle (however you'll probably find that your car will be available, in perfect condition after being repaired in 7 days).

• Like x 16
    • Disagree x 6
  3. Tam

Tam Active Member

I am sorry to hear about the issues.

I don't minimize your trouble but on the other hand, it is encouraging that Tesla communicates problems prior to delivery in this case while in the past some have reported that you would be caught off guard at the very last minute.

I consider windshield as a consumable item (just like flat tires) that you might have to replace it due to rocks flying off from the roads.

There have been windshield replacements and I do hear complaints about its price but never its quality.

Thus, I personally would feel fine with Tesla's plan of disassembling the rear windshield to fix the problem.

I would agree with spentan that there's more value to get a free service than free all weather mats. You can use that extra value from free service to buy your own all weather mats.

Usually, if you accept to own the car, Tesla would provide you a loaner while waiting for its repairs.

It's your decisions and I do appreciate your sharing of the experience.

• Like x 4
  4. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#4 Canuck, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Not driving a Tesla over all-weather mats? They are great mats but I'd burn mine if I had to, in order to keep my Tesla. You can say it's the point that's important but with large corporations there is no point to make, unless perhaps you're dragged off a plane due to overbooking.

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face? That should probably be the message.

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Love x 2
  5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

In my opinion, replacing a piece of glass and correcting a small blemish in the paint is not a "major repair". It borders on trivial.

Auto glass is routinely replaced without issues.
    i was astonished to read that. You bought a $100,000 car and then cancelled your order because Tesla would not give you $500 worth of floor mats in addition to the $300 service credit they offered for the inconvenience of waiting a week longer for your new car.

A 7 day wait to fix a small cosmetic issue that Tesla didn't try to sneak by you but brought to your attention in advance of delivery. Your unwillingness to wait resulted in no Model X in your garage. And in your view that is the fault of Tesla because they wouldn't give you a set of floor mats for free.

• Like x 7
  6. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

Our X had a rock chip on the front passenger door. They offered to fix it before delivery but it would mean possibly not getting to take it on our 1,800 mile road trip we had scheduled three days later. We took delivery with the damage and brought the car back in a few weeks later. While repainting the front door and blending into the falcon door, the body shop damaged the chrome trim because it was the first X they had worked with. That caused another few days delay for us. We had a Model S loaner so it wasn't too bad, but we really preferred our X.

We eventually got our car back and didn't ask for anything other than getting it fixed. I see many people demanding a brand new door, money off of the purchase price, etc. I'm sure there was some diminished value but I don't really care because I am keeping this care longer than that will matter. Tesla has been good to us fixing our PPF damage from when the auto front door went crazy and front and falcon doors colliding once.

As others have mentioned you really have to take things in perspective. I do wonder did Tesla offer to refund your $2,500 or did you forfeit that? I guess since your X was damaged they might refund it but they really have no obligation to, they just need to provide you a vehicle to purchase.

• Like x 2
  7. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Good for the OP, I say.

And thanks for sharing.

Enough people do this and Tesla will have to improve their quality control.

• Like x 4
  8. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.34 2448cfc

#8 MorrisonHiker, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Right before I took delivery of my car in December, they found a minor problem with the clear coat on part of the hatch. It wasn't even noticeable unless you were looking at it from the right angle and the light was just right. I went ahead and took delivery of the car and they fixed the issue a few weeks later by replacing the hatch with a factory painted hatch. During the time my car was at the body shop, Tesla provided me with a loaner. My car wasn't perfect when I took delivery but Tesla took care of the problem and I didn't demand any credits for my inconvenience because it wasn't really an inconvenience for me. It certainly wasn't worth losing a deposit over or waiting months for a replacement car.

• Informative x 1
  9. AnxietyRanger

Couldn't the same be said of Tesla?

Not getting this sale probably hurt them more too than not offering the mats.

Hard to see any winners in this case.

• Like x 4
  10. AnxietyRanger

Are you suggesting Tesla trying to sneak it by him would somehow be an option?

11. RRM998

RRM998 Member

In this case, canceling means the OP will lose his deposit, correct?

I find this an interesting post as I, like many here, believe that a company should "make it right" when a commitment has not been met. Having read about various delivery experiences in this forum pre-delivery, I suppose I had reduced my expectations in terms of customer service from Tesla. Clearly the people on site try hard but are pretty limited on remediation options. Especially where $$$ is involved. The type of service provided by German and Japanese luxury car makers isn't present with a young company like Tesla.

Tesla keeps the deposit, fixes the car, and sells it for full price as an inventory vehicle. What's their incentive to offer anything to the OP? I'm surprised he got the service offer.

All that said, I hope the situation is ultimately resolved in your favor.

12. AnxietyRanger

I hate to say this, but I have gotten better resolutions from dealerships than in this story. Tesla is very rigid - if your request fits their rigid policy, fine. If not, not fine.

Luckily my personal requests, so far, have fit their policy. ;) Better not ask for any mats...

I guess it boils down to, there aren't really common sense solutions at Tesla sales/service for many things. Either it fits the policy or it does not. There is not much in-between.

• Like x 1
  13. ecarfan

Your attempt to create controversy and disagreement where none exists is disturbing. You do it routinely in threads you participate in. All you need to do in this case is to take my statement at face value: Tesla did not try to conceal the small cosmetic defect in the car, they brought it to the buyers attention before delivery.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  14. AnxietyRanger

It seemed to me you were giving Tesla credit for not trying to sneak it past the customer and that it would somehow make the issue less. My view is that disclosing such a finding is not something that should be given extra credit for, it is mandatory. If I misunderstood you, I stand corrected.

15. richrootes

richrootes Member

You've got to start wondering about these 'hit and run' new members who just seem to join to post derogatory comments & experiences

I take them all with a very large pinch of salt

• Like x 6
    • Disagree x 2
  16. ecarfan

@AnxietyRanger : You did misunderstand me. I was pointing out to the OP that he was not wronged by Tesla in any way because -- based on his own description of events -- Tesla acknowledged the defect in the vehicle before he even had a chance to inspect it and then offered compensation or offered to correct the defect.

• Like x 2
  17. AnxietyRanger

Fair enough, I agree he was not wronged intentionally by Tesla.

As for the unintentional wrong (the blemish), I still think some more flexibility in finding a solution with the customer might have been wise. And I think the service center may have even tried it, but were blocked by some higher-up policy. It could have been as simple as, their compensation policy, internal tools or somesuch were limited to service vouchers and accessories (e.g. mats) were on se separate system/budget/something...

18. AnxietyRanger

This story is quite plausible, though, nor does it have any large "short" value. People create new accounts to vent all the time.

19. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I'm not so sure this hurts Tesla. They knock off the deposit and sell it as an inventory car. Somebody is going to get a brand new Tesla with a little discount and no wait..

• Like x 1
  20. AnxietyRanger

No cost for the disgruntled customer and associated publicity?

The mats cost Tesla probably less than the service they offered for free. Or the same at worst...

This was a policy limitation in my estimation, I'm not blaming the local staff.

Like removing passengers from planes, sometimes policies make common sense disappear. :)