Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla donates chargers to Parks Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a lot of detail yet but today Parks Canada announced that Tesla is donating Tesla and J1772 chargers to be used in a Canadian national parks.

Parks Canada on Twitter
There was another tweet, video form. Parks Canada announced charging stations for 50 Parks Canada locations across the country. I’m so excited for this!!!
0E0E08BA-E3E8-40E3-B206-4CC5C392C851.jpeg
E9B6BCEA-6745-4C73-AB41-C063FD781252.png

Not a lot of detail yet but today Parks Canada announced that Tesla is donating Tesla and J1772 chargers to be used in a Canadian national parks.
I wonder if Tesla will provide a Tesla Wall charger with a J1772 plug or an someone else charger?

This not clear to me, because Destination Chargers are only Tesla brand.
However, hotels may have other chargers available but I never read that Tesla was also sponsoring them.

Last edited:
As nearly every Tesla has a J1772 connector I assume it will be a j1772 plug on a destination charger. Otherwise I hope they use the clipper creek 70A chargers. I’m just glad to see something other than Superchargers. Id pay if they had destination chargers at Supercharger stations. Then I could charge with my friends.

I wonder if Tesla will provide a Tesla Wall charger with a J1772 plug or an someone else charger?

This not clear to me, because Destination Chargers are only Tesla brand.
However, hotels may have other chargers available but I never read that Tesla was also sponsoring them.

When Tesla supplies multiple destination chargers they normally provide a couple, or more, Clipper Creak J1772 EVSEs as well. So yes Tesla provides non-Tesla branded EVSEs.

Tesla has their own J1772 chargers, they look like Wall Chargers but are slightly different in the case - to hold a J1772 in the side and in how they do load sharing. From a distance they look the same.

Are you talking about the ones sold in Europe?
Yes, they have the J1772 plugs, but they are only sold in Europe.

In North America, Tesla detination chargers only have the tesla plug.
As said above, when they provide also J1772 chargers to partners (hotels, restaurants, and now national parks), they usually provide non tesla chargers for that.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
The headline gives the impression that th donation is 50 total units, but the tweets seem to imply that there are 50 locations. I would expect at least two stations per location, so something doesn't add up.
This Parks Canada tweet describes it as,

“EV charging stations (with both Tesla and J1772 connectors) which will be installed at more than 50 #ParksCanada places across the country!”

Twitter

That sounds like (i) at least one station with (ii) at least two connectors at (iii) more than 50 locations.

Reactions: noicepls
Are you talking about the ones sold in Europe?
Yes, they have the J1772 plugs, but they are only sold in Europe.

In North America, Tesla detination chargers only have the tesla plug.
As said above, when they provide also J1772 chargers to partners (hotels, restaurants, and now national parks), they usually provide non tesla chargers for that.
No, there are Tesla HPWC units with a factory made J1772 connector. I’ve seen them in Toronto General Hospital parking, for example.

I have the manuals for the J1772 Tesla chargers and they can load share. They seem to be limited to load sharing in pairs and I don't think they can load share with a standard Tesla charger, which are designed to load share in banks of 4.

There was a video I watched recently about Tesla deploying a bunch of the J1772 chargers and the standard HPWC’s at a site. The HPWC’s were deployed with load sharing and they specifically mentioned that the J1772 models were not capable of it.

Can you post the manual here for review?