Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Don't Replace Windshields?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a text saying that Tesla don't replace broken windshields and that I have to go through ICBC or Glass Shop. My service request has been cancelled.

I thought Tesla insisted on replacing the glass to do something with the camera?

Weird. Remembered getting this announcement not so long ago.

87212FBC-23DF-4EB7-A09E-D05F5CF7877D.jpeg

Reactions: Hank42
Just got a text saying that Tesla don't replace broken windshields and that I have to go through ICBC or Glass Shop. My service request has been cancelled.

I thought Tesla insisted on replacing the glass to do something with the camera?

My rear window was replaced by the Devon Pennsylvania service center in November. I had the misfortune of parking under a large tree with 4 inch diameter fruit that fell on the windshield.

Our Model X windshield developed an 18-inch crack over the weekend. We have no idea what caused it. Anyway, what is the procedure with insurance and scheduling with Tesla? Does the service center handle the insurance side of things?

Well, I got my answer in the form of a text from Tesla after I scheduled service...

"Hi Shawn, this is Tesla Service. We are actively reviewing upcoming appointments and see your vehicle is scheduled for a windshield replacement on 2/28. We would like to make you aware of the two options available:
Option 1: Glass replaced through Tesla. At the completion of the repairs, the total amount will be due in full prior to your vehicle being released back to your possession. If you choose to seek reimbursement through the insurance, you will have to submit the paid invoice on your own time. Cost is $1500 + tax.
Option 2: Glass replaced using insurance/third party glass company. Simply contact your insurance company, who will then recommend an approved glass company. They will work with Tesla to order replacement glass, with your insurance for payment, and with you to coordinate a date and time to have the glass installed. This is the method a large majority of clients use.
Please let us know how you would like to proceed. Thank you!"

I then went through my insurance company and scheduled a windshield replacement through Safelite AutoGlass, who made me click a "waiver" indicating that I understood that my vehicle has behind-the-glass cameras and will require re calibration before being able to safely utilize the cameras. So I texted the following question to Tesla and got this response:

"Will attempt going through insurance and Safelite AutoGlass. Is camera recalibration required?"

"Thank you for your response! No, they are self-calibrating cameras."

"Cool, thanks!"

So, there you have it, just in case someone else comes along with similar questions.

I believe the "self calibrate" is the circle filling thing when you first started using AP. If you found your auto lane keep is off center after the windshield replacement, I think you have to contact Tesla so they could initiate that calibration from their side.

I believe the "self calibrate" is the circle filling thing when you first started using AP. If you found your auto lane keep is off center after the windshield replacement, I think you have to contact Tesla so they could initiate that calibration from their side.
I would agree. Especially from a Model X. That camera tray appears to get off center easy, unless the glass installed has markings.

I just switched insurance companies picking up liberty mutual for $884 for 12 months and was surprised to see in their policy free glass replacement without any deductible. They know they were quoting on a Tesla so I'm wondering if I ever need to have the windshield replaced if a company like Satellite will do it or if Tesla will do it and will be compensated by the insurance company.