Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While closing the driver's door, I heard a weird clanging noise which caused my heart to sink and my wallet to feel slightly lighter. I turned around to investigate and immediately noticed the door handle was flush with the body while the other door handles were still extended.

I went home to disassemble the door and diagnose. All the microswitches tested good using a continuity test on a standard multimeter. The pivot gear was toast though. My first indicator of this was when it fell out as I was pulling the handle out of the door.

IMG_9493.JPG

So my three choices are:

- Buy a new one - part # 1030273-S0-A ($734 plus tax and the cost for the 3 cheap spacers that it comes with)

- Buy a used one on eBay for $250-$300 and roll the dice on how long a used one will last before suffering another pivot gear failure

- Reach out to the awesome community here and check if anyone has an old broken door handle that I can buy off of you (I'd be happy to buy just the gear if you feel like disassembling the handle and sending the gear alone)

Thanks fellow Tesla owners! Keeping my fingers crossed...

My understanding is that Tesla just rebuilds the handles now, they don't just replace them. In fact somebody recently said that Tesla sent a ranger out to replace the gear in their out-of-warranty Tesla at no charge.

So if they have stock of just the gear, they should be selling them in the parts department. (Have you tried to see if they will sell you just what you need?)

There is also supposed to be a re-build kit to replace the failed microswitches.

Reactions: 1375mlm
Mine have failed a dozen times under warranty - as of now 2 of them make grinding noises!

If someone can make after market ones that don't needlessly move for a reasonable price... They'd be rollin' in dough.

I'd be fine with the door handle design from my 09 Tahoe or 05 Mazda tribute! Really, they are just fine.

Reactions: rpc364
I'm waiting to hear back from Tesla Service/Parts on whether they carry just that pivot gear. I reached out to a Tesla Ranger and he said the broken pivot gear requires changing the entire assembly. I'm hoping maybe that has changed and Tesla decided to offer just the gear as a replacement part now.

If not, I figure someone out there still has their old non-working door handle and would be willing to sell it to a fellow Tesla owner. Otherwise, I'll give the old "eBay and pray" method a shot :)

Are these all the same or are there different ones for each door handle? Different left vs right?

Anyone have a part #? I'd like to ask Fremont for some of these ASAP.

Maybe I should buy 100 of them and then buy broken handles on ebay as they come up and rebuilt them. Good for $250+ a pop :)

Probably not a bad business plan. But there are other things that fail too. One person had all three things go wrong. The microswitches and pressure sensor, as well as the gear. (Just more inexpensive parts to keep on hand.)

Probably not a bad business plan. But there are other things that fail too. One person had all three things go wrong. The microswitches and pressure sensor, as well as the gear. (Just more inexpensive parts to keep on hand.)

Yes, but those other parts can be had from places like digikey, right? I'm guessing the gear may be harder to source from someone other than Tesla.

While closing the driver's door, I heard a weird clanging noise which caused my heart to sink and my wallet to feel slightly lighter. I turned around to investigate and immediately noticed the door handle was flush with the body while the other door handles were still extended.

I went home to disassemble the door and diagnose. All the microswitches tested good using a continuity test on a standard multimeter. The pivot gear was toast though. My first indicator of this was when it fell out as I was pulling the handle out of the door.

View attachment 222564

So my three choices are:

- Buy a new one - part # 1030273-S0-A ($734 plus tax and the cost for the 3 cheap spacers that it comes with)

- Buy a used one on eBay for $250-$300 and roll the dice on how long a used one will last before suffering another pivot gear failure

- Reach out to the awesome community here and check if anyone has an old broken door handle that I can buy off of you (I'd be happy to buy just the gear if you feel like disassembling the handle and sending the gear alone)

Thanks fellow Tesla owners! Keeping my fingers crossed...
good luck with the repairs! I cannot understand anything from the picture - my car is only 6months old, but looks like I need to keep parts ready for these infamous handles for post-warranty repairs...

This might be a bit of an "out there" suggestion, but could you get a machine shop to CNC one for you?
Not needed since Tesla sells them for $3, but if they didn't, and you feel mechanically inclined (like the OP seems to be), emachineshop.com let's you download free CAD, design, and instantly quote the part out of many available materials. I usually 3D print abs plastic at home first to ensure fit, but then you can pay to make them from metal.

Here is a rebuild from the pivot gear with stainless steel. A Croatian Tesla driver did a 3d scan and i had order some parts in a toolshop in Austria.
I think in about 1-2 weeks the first part is tested in function.
You could do the same using emachineshop.com if you have the broken part to take measurements from. Their free CAD program if fairly easy to use - I've been using it for years now.