Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla door handle failure - pivot gear (anyone have one I can buy?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My door-handle motor ran for several months last winter while I waited for it to be warm enough out to take it apart. I don't recommend it though. It's easy enough to take the panel off and just unplug the wire so the motor stops. FYI, If you do that, software updates will fail due to the 'missing handle'. If you want to do an update, you'll have to plug the handle back in.

Yes! I will film. Was planning on doing it last night but between the kids and the wife, I had to postpone.

Should be tonight.... you can for sure do this yourself. My motor ran for about a week before I pulled the wire. To be safe, I would go ahead and unplug the door assembly. It just involves taking the panel off which is 3 screws.

Video should be done by tonight!

@Bighorn @chr20 @mmccord Thank you guys for your contributions here. I've learned a lot and thankful for a community that maybe helping me save $800 for a repair involving a $1.18 part!

@Manzacoty Way to blaze some Telsa parts trails here for the rest of us. Looks like you're equipped for success. Just confirming your intention to videotape and post the paddle gear repair process? (Acknowledging that I'm wildebeest #2 at the edge of the crocodile-infested riverbank nudging wildebeest #1 into the repair-attempt water... :)

Does anyone have any expert advice on how long the incessant handle motor running in the broken paddle gear can go on without damage? I'd like to make this a 1-venture-into-the-door-panel effort (versus the typical 4-5 Home Depot trips involved in most every home-repair effort)...

• Love
Reactions: rpc364 and Edo102
@Bighorn @chr20 @mmccord Thank you guys for your contributions here. I've learned a lot and thankful for a community that maybe helping me save $800 for a repair involving a $1.18 part!

@Manzacoty Way to blaze some Telsa parts trails here for the rest of us. Looks like you're equipped for success. Just confirming your intention to videotape and post the paddle gear repair process? (Acknowledging that I'm wildebeest #2 at the edge of the crocodile-infested riverbank nudging wildebeest #1 into the repair-attempt water... :)

Does anyone have any expert advice on how long the incessant handle motor running in the broken paddle gear can go on without damage? I'd like to make this a 1-venture-into-the-door-panel effort (versus the typical 4-5 Home Depot trips involved in most every home-repair effort)...

My first broken paddle gear probably ran the motor constantly for about two months and the second 1-2 weeks, IIRC. Didn't really notice any battery drain which makes sense if it really only draws 3 Watts, which is what I think the video said.

Speaking of taking apart the door, I searched Amazon for spudgers thinking that's the tool I probably needed for a blemish-free panel removal, but the results mostly pertained to fixing iPhones. Any suggestions on augmenting the tool box with proper tools to dismantle the door?

Speaking of taking apart the door, I searched Amazon for spudgers thinking that's the tool I probably needed for a blemish-free panel removal, but the results mostly pertained to fixing iPhones. Any suggestions on augmenting the tool box with proper tools to dismantle the door?
Based on this recommendation for Tesla door panel removals (
), I wound up finding this (see attached image) at the auto parts store. $15. Waiting to see how @Manzacoty fares in his efforts before trying myself...

Search for "Trim removal set" on Amazon. Many forms of this came up.

Attachments

• IMG_2522 2.JPG
    IMG_2522 2.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: Bighorn
My door-handle motor ran for several months last winter while I waited for it to be warm enough out to take it apart. I don't recommend it though. It's easy enough to take the panel off and just unplug the wire so the motor stops. FYI, If you do that, software updates will fail due to the 'missing handle'. If you want to do an update, you'll have to plug the handle back in.

You can stop the handle motor from running by pulling the 5 amp fuse #40 in the Frunk. This fuse is for the rear door handles. I pulled mine and re-installed and the motor stopped running, and the light on door handle went out too.

Hopefully this doesn't discourage anyone from making the part aftermarket. While saving $75 or so on the part is nice, I'll happily pay that premium to not have to take my door apart again.

I just had lunch with my friend that you recently sent your broken part to.

He said he can do it, just a little slow because he has been remodeling his entire house.

He should be working on it soon. I asked him about making it using ST 304. He said it is doable, but will look at it closer first. He said the Die cast part from Tesla is very brittle... reason for breaking. Another reason Tesla went this way.... very cheap to make.

Hopefully he can be helpful with future replacement parts.... since he has a turnkey process for turning parts for high tech companies in the Silicon Valley.

You trying to corner the market for door handle repairs?
Haha. It's such an ordeal to install such a small replacement part. I don't think you could pay me enough to do it for others.

I go through these things like candy. At $1.18/ea, I figured I'd buy all I could possibly ever need while they're available. And I assumed the maximum miles I can put on this car to be half a million. :)