TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla drivers aren't the only ones that can't drive across the country!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wayner, Jan 10, 2016.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

No one can since the road is closed!

2. Not an Ice

Not an Ice Member

Wayner
    the failed bridge at Nippigon on the Trans Canada is definately a show stopper for all, but unless you where taking a generator on your trip, you/none of us, would have made it there to find out ;)

3. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I personally know a couple of people who have driven Roadsters across Canada, never mind Model S. It was made possible by the Sun Country charging network. So the premise of this thread title is wrong.

The failure of a brand new (open 42 days) bridge is startling. This is either a serious engineering error, or the engineers just learned something new.

5. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Was that bridge built by any chance by Continental Construction from Boston? It sounds like Big Dig quality.

6. DMC-Orangeville

Marshall Macklin Monaghan - Engineers (Canada), Bot Construction (Canada)/Ferrovial Agroman (European/Canada) - contractors. So, It's a made in Canada issue

7. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

According to witnesses, a gust of wind lifted the bridge deck. Pretty surprising that wind forces weren't adequately addressed in the design.

8. wayner

wayner Active Member

After the Tacoma Narrows collapse you would think that all bridges would be tested for aerodynamics. This gives more raw materials for engineering rings.

9. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

LOL... I guess they're making the rings from concrete now? ;-)

Cable stayed designs are complex and realistically wouldn't be attempted without computer software to run the numbers. Given that it was fairly cold at the time, I have to wonder if there was an issue with the cables contracting and a weak joint on the deck simply let go. I for one will be interested to hear the official autopsy results, but I doubt the wind was the sole cause. Never say never, but it doesn't seem that likely to me. In the case of the Tacoma Narrows, the wind set up a pretty wild oscillation that ripped it apart. The damage here looked far less spectacular.

At least this one isn't likely to have the ice chunks of death falling from the cables, like Vancouver's newest did...

10. DMC-Orangeville

The repair team is on its' way.....

duct tape.jpg

11. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

Why not, I'm sure some engineer figured out a way... :)

12. wayner

wayner Active Member

#12 wayner, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    There would be steel rebar in the bridge. Although they are called iron rings they have generally been made from steel for a long time - since well before I got mine which was almost 30 years ago.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

This isn't too different from the actual solution. They piled on a bunch of concrete road dividers to force the bridge back into alignment with the road.

nipigonbridge0.jpg

14. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Mine is actually stainless (not sure what grade - LOL), circa 1988. I think extracting the re-rod from the concrete would be more trouble than it's worth though.

- - - Updated - - -

That's fantastic.... LOL. Would seem to suggest an issue with the cable stay design, or the connection at the end. You need to allow for live load on the bridge, but you don't want it springing up as it apparently did when unloaded!

15. wayner

wayner Active Member

True, but it makes for a better story. I wonder how many, if any, rings were actually made from the iron of the Quebec City bridge?

16. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Yes.... I wonder. It would be rather ironic if in fact the answer is 'none', and the story was simply told to build the legend. My guess is some of the bridge metal was tossed into the melting pot when the first batch was made. After that, who knows.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Maybe some were when they were first introduced, maybe... but they haven't been for a very very long time.

Mine is also stainless. A classmate wanted and got an actual iron one, but it eroded away to nothing over a few years. He got a replacement and shellacked it or something.

18. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

Zero. Pick any Canadian engineering school's undergrad website, they'll all tell you it's a myth.

a little history lesson: the iron ring
    After The Fall

19. wayner

wayner Active Member

Even that story from SFU doesn't agree with the more detailed story on Wikipedia that says the first bridge collapsed in 1907 as it could not support its own weight due to errors in calculations - and there is no mention of any locomotive. And given the fact that the rings weren't handed out until 1925 it is highly unlikely that anyone kept the iron from that first bridge for 18 years.