Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drivers wanted in Blaine, WA June 29, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BC2BC rally update on the events of Saturday, June 29 on the Canada / USA border at Peace Arch State Park, Blaine, Washington.

I would like to invite Washington and Oregon Tesla drivers to come and enjoy the launch party and dignitary's ceremony at the concurrent "Golden Plug Ceremony" between the state of Washington and province of British Columbia.

If youre coming from the Great White North, this is a long holiday weekend for Canada Day. The border crossing might be a mess, but you don't have to wait in a long customs line to attend!! Just park on the Canadian side of the Peace Arch, and then walk over to the USA side of the park. It's perfectly legal without a passport or customs. Just don't leave the park into the USA without customs clearance.

9am - Reception and breakfast
10am - Driver's meeting
11am - Keynote speakers
12pm - First vehicles launch in interval for BC2BC-2013
1pm - End of formal functions, park reserved through the entire day however

We hope to have at least 50 EVs at the event, with parking for up to 250 cars from the public on the USA side. Approximately 100 people, dignitaries, manufacturer representatives and government officials have been invited by the Washington state DOT. We expect the governor and premier to plug in a gold colored CHAdeMO plug, much like the golden spike ceremony for the USA transcontinental railroad. We are working on a local radio station to participate.

I expect participation from the local Tesla store with a displayed Model S and whatever bling they can spare (hats, t-shirts, license plate frames, etc). I also expect some help from Tesla Accessories with bling, plus we're working on a door prizes and other sponsors, like Brammo electric motorcycles.

There is a kitchen that can handle 100 people inside that we also rented, and 400 outside. A ten dollar state park pass is required if you drive into the USA side. We intend to have catered food. We should also have 120/240 volt service on site, but please arrive with as much power as you can. Obviously, I don't want anybody not to want to come for the event because they are concerned about getting some electricity.

Our website will not be up for about 3 weeks. We will be flying three flags; Canada, USA and Mexico. Of course, we need a green flag to launch the cars!

Lots and lots of stuff in the works, but I really want to make sure that folks who want to be there actually can. Frankly, we need you!!!

Finally, if the DC CHAdeMO charger becomes operational near/in Surrey, I hope I can attend a gathering on the north side of the border on Friday night, June 28 to celebrate.

Tony

To register for the launch party, June 29, 2013, at Peace Arch State Park, Blaine, WA, concurrent with the International Golden Plug Award:

BC2BC All Electric Vehicle Rally International... Tickets, Blaine - Eventbrite

There is a prequel party planned for June 28, 2013 in Surrey, BC, as the Grand Opening of the first DC CHAdeMO charger in the province.

Our website is now live at:

BC2BC AllElectricVehicleRally.org Event

The top finishing Tesla Model S team in the rally (that's right; don't have to win to win) will receive a Teslaccessories Center Console Insert (CCI) in black, an $869 value. In addition, jackets, hats, and other bling.

We need you in Blaine next Saturday!!! We don't want the government dignitaries to see an empty parking lot while they are thinking about how to increase public charging infrastructure!!!

Last edited:
To register for the launch party, June 29, 2013, at Peace Arch State Park, Blaine, WA, concurrent with the International Golden Plug Award:

BC2BC All Electric Vehicle Rally International... Tickets, Blaine - Eventbrite

There is a prequel party planned for June 28, 2013 in Surrey, BC, as the Grand Opening of the first DC CHAdeMO charger in the province.

Our website is now live at:

BC2BC AllElectricVehicleRally.org Event

The top finishing Tesla Model S team in the rally (that's right; don't have to win to win) will receive a Teslaccessories Center Console Insert (CCI) in black, an $869 value. In addition, jackets, hats, and other bling.

We need you in Blaine next Saturday!!! We don't want the government dignitaries to see an empty parking lot while they are thinking about how to increase public charging infrastructure!!!

I will try very hard to attend in Blaine help fill parking lot as have plans trying to move things around.

Last edited:
Tony,

Hope the kickoff goes well. My wife and I are looking forward to participating in the last stop of the rally on July 7th in SJC. The only question will be if we drive separately to bring both our Leaf and our Model S.

Tony,

Hope the kickoff goes well. My wife and I are looking forward to participating in the last stop of the rally on July 7th in SJC. The only question will be if we drive separately to bring both our Leaf and our Model S.

Tough problem to have!!!

For that gathering in SoCal, please register at:

BC2BC-party-SJC.EventBrite.com

- - - Updated - - -

I will try very hard to attend in Blaine help fill parking lot as have plans trying to move things around.

Hope to see you there. Please make sure this gets out to the email list up there. Thanks, Tony

WSDOT public-private partnerships (Olympia)

1,500 miles, zero gallons of gas: International, electric-vehicle rally kicks off this weekend
Dignitaries from Washington, British Columbia hold Golden Plug ceremony

BLAINE – A few years after the end of the Civil War, the driving of the ceremonial “Golden Spike” signaled the completion of the first transcontinental railroad across the United States. Nearly 150 years later, electric-vehicle (EV) owners will converge near the USA/Canada border to symbolically connect the charging networks along the West Coast Electric Highway, before unplugging and embarking on an unprecedented international adventure.

This Saturday, June 29, the public is invited to attend a celebration at the Peace Arch State Park, where a dozen EV drivers will begin the journey from Canada to Mexico powered solely by electricity. Drivers will make the 1,500-mile, nine-day road trip – called the BC2BC (British Columbia to Baja California) – without using a drop of gas.

Washington Transportation Secretary Lynn Peterson, Parliamentary Secretary to the British Columbia Premier for Intergovernmental Affairs Norm Letnick and other dignitaries will lead the “Golden Plug” ceremony for the EV rally at 11 a.m. Guests at the event will have opportunities to test-drive EVs and speak with rally drivers before they embark on the trip south.

After the ceremony, the vehicles will make their departures in five-minute intervals. Guests are encouraged to wave flags and cheer for the drivers as they take to the road.

The BC2BC is the brainchild of event organizer Tony Williams, who along with his 10-year-old daughter completed the same nine-day voyage in an EV in June 2012. That experience gave way to the newly created BC2BC, an invitational rally which Williams hopes will turn into an annual event.

International Golden Plug ceremony and launch of BC2BC 2013

When: 10 a.m. Saturday, June 29

Where: Peace Arch State Park, Blaine, WA (I-5 Exit 276 at USA/Canada border)

Directions: Take I-5 north to Exit 276, the last exit before the Canadian border. Take second right at the roundabout on 2nd Street and follow the signs to the park. At the entrance, a parking attendant will direct guests to the event.

Schedule:
10 a.m. – 1 p.m. Public display of electric vehicles; show-and-tell with EV drivers.
11 a.m. International “Golden Plug” ceremony.
Noon Launch of all-electric vehicle rally. Crowds wave flags and cheer EV drivers leaving every five minutes.

Hyperlinks within the release:
West Coast Electric Highway: West Coast Green Highway: Home
Peace Arch State Park: Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission - Park Information

Electric vehicle rally: BC2BC AllElectricVehicleRally.org Event

###
WSDOT keeps people, businesses and the economy moving by operating and improving the state's transportation systems. To learn more about what we're doing, go to WSDOT - News Releases
for pictures, videos, news and blogs. Real time traffic information is available at Washington State Traveler Information
or by dialing 511. To unsubscribe to WSDOT media releases please reply and type REMOVE in the subject line.

Picked up some supplies in Olympia...

null-6.jpg