Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla driving telemetry and legal jurisdiction WRT local TeslaMate servers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JonB

Oct 31, 2021
UK
A hypothetical situation regarding use of TeslaMate on a local machine like a Pi 4. It records lots of Tesla vehicle telemetry, including speed and the locations where each speed recording was captured.

This has me thinking. As I understand it, the data the car sends back to Tesla is stored maintained in the US; that is, generally outside the scope of UK law enforcement. They may be able to subpoena that information but they probably wouldn't. However, if I am running TeslaMate, I am making a copy of some or all of that data on my local machine so it is available to view when I log onto my TeslaMate server. In effect, the data is now present in the UK jurisdiction and much more accessible to UK law ennforcement.

So would I more vulnerable to prosecution in the UK as a result of the location of the data?

Prosecution for what?
Holding the data isn't a crime, so are you more worried about Police getting their hands on your data if you are suspected of an unrelated crime?

This. The data is a smoking gun if it shows you were speeding at any time - but there is a wider question about Tesla's data capture and privacy as well. What I am trying to get at is, if the data is held in the US is it safer (from law enforcement) than if it is copied to a UK location?

Also note GDPR has extra-territorial scope. People outside of the EU that process data of people inside the EU are obligated to comply with the GDPR too.

Might be irrelevant if we don’t consider driving information ’personal’ information.

How would the police know you had Teslamate on a rPi?
Are you suggesting that they would trawl your teslamate data to look for speeding? If so I can recommend a good tinfoil hat :)

When you are charged with speeding, the police already have proof you were speeding - either camera or speed gun - so trawling your data is not required.
There's another thread on here about trying to use Teslamate data to prove you weren't speeding (actually it was to prove the car was speeding, but not as much as the police said :) )

The Tesla privacy notice can be found here: Privacy & Legal | Tesla

In it it states:
  1. Tesla may transfer and disclose information, including information that may or may not personally identify you, to third parties to comply with a legal obligation (including, but not limited to, subpoenas or other court orders); when we believe in good faith that the law requires it; in response to a lawful request by governmental authorities conducting an investigation, including to comply with law enforcement requirements; to verify or enforce our policies and procedures; to respond to an emergency; to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical or legally actionable; or to protect the rights, property, safety, or security of our products and services, Tesla, third parties, visitors, or the public, as determined by us in our sole discretion.
So if the police got a court order they'd get it from Tesla without having to trawl your rPi.

This is just the discussion I was hoping for. Great forum!

It does seem like there will be speed limiters fitted in our cars by 2025 (see other threads on the topic) so perhaps this won't be an issue... guess I'm keeping my Lotus.

However for a more serious crime, does it prove a pattern of reckless behaviour, law breaking. Does it put your car at the scene of the crime? There are definitely crimes for which the police would like this data if they could get it.

There are also laws about destroying evidence. If you hold the data and it’s relevant to a crime and you delete it… Perverting the Course of Justice.

It's no different to the tracking in your phone that goes on regardless.

The appetite to get hold of the data will be linked to the nature of the crime and to go tp the lengths you're talking about is way more than something like speeding.

And secondly who knows you use Teslamate? Nobody really, not even Tesla, they just know you query the API a lot, so admitting you've logged all that data and its sitting at home is just like saying "I was speeding officer", keep quiet

This is just the discussion I was hoping for. Great forum!

It does seem like there will be speed limiters fitted in our cars by 2025 (see other threads on the topic) so perhaps this won't be an issue... guess I'm keeping my Lotus.

The EU/UK mandated Intelligent Speed Assistance isn't as bad as all that. The regulations have been published so we now know exactly what is involved. The car must have a display of the current speed limit. It must be equipped with (at the manufacturer's choice) either a speed limiter or a speed limit warning. The limiter or warning can be disabled by the driver, but defaults to enabled at the start of each drive.

Come to think of it, is that a stocking over your avatar?
Screenshot 2022-01-04 at 16.03.51.png

:) :) :)

• Funny
Reactions: JonB
No idea whether you could be compelled to provide data that might implicate you.
You have the right to remain silent. However you don't have the right to withhold passwords/passcodes/encryption keys if asked to decrypt data.

So you don't have to admit you have Teslamate, but if found then you have to provide readable access to the data (provided you a suspected of a serious crime).

If in Australia I imagine if a coronial inquiry was held that involved your vehicle they could and would seek all evidence that exists and/or is known.
The inquiry would certainly know that the car sends and stores very granular information regarding speed and location. If that information was relevant they would seek it.