Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla dropping the 75X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It makes sense to drop the 75Kw version. The price difference between the 75 and 100 X has been closing. Was nearly $20K year or so ago. Now down to $15K. And the S and X buyers are less price sensitive so they can go with the 100 kw, increasing the average price and profit for the X and S.

Also the success of the Model 3 has put a lot more work into the Gigafactory battery lines. So killing the low (relative to Model 3) production S and X 75 batteries frees resources for other products.

And then there is the Model Y. I imaging it's sales will dwarf the Model 3. And a lot of those buyers will be people that bought the Model X 75 over the X 100 to save money. I know we will be looking at the Y when our lease expires in 2 years. If it looks good, I will likely check every option box! Dropping the 75x helps ensures there is a price difference between a loaded Model Y and base 100 X.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsnows
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. We have a 75 and even though we have put on over 12,000 miles in 6 months of ownership, range has never been an issue. Daily driving of 60 to 80 miles we've never consumed 50% of the battery even in sub freezing weather. For argument sake, the 100 pack would have been netted us nothing more than the 75 offers.

Reactions: TexasRat and PrGrPa
Bought mine as a software locked S 60D. Upgraded to 75D when they lowered the price and I realized how much I liked taking it on road trips. Now wish I had a 100D or LR Model 3. Range is key! I think 300 miles range will eventually be the baseline for all EVs.

I also believe 300 miles will a "magic" number. Below that the old "you need a power plug on every corner" argument gets made by the haters.

Also, Musk is saying Tesla is approaching $100/KW for their batteries, and should get there in a year or two. When this happens the price difference drops to ($10,000 - $7,500) = $2,500. Who will buy the 75 KW version to save $2,500 on a $90,000 vehicle?

Reactions: MXWing and dsnows
The uncork was what pushed it over for me.

1-1.2 second faster. Though I got a lead foot so the value is there. :D

Agree that the uncork is 95%+ of the value in upgrading from 60D -> 75D. The extra range is practically useless. Even though I have a very lead foot I still couldn't justify the $4500 price to drop the 0-60 time by a second. And now that my card is more than 2 years old it gets even more difficult to justify as time goes on, since spending $4500 on something that has already depreciated quite a bit is not a wise decision to me.

We have the 75D, used the 15K to purchase (2) decent cars for our 2 sons. Made more sense at the time. 15K miles on the odo. and believe it's like driving a pickup where you rarely if ever use the bed to haul anything. Never had any issue getting anywhere without enough charge. I'm sure Tesla has a plan and like most decisions there is the up side. For me I'm not sure I would have ordered the 100 at the time and not had the option to get the cars for my sons. I'm glad I did what I did and at the timing was spot on for us.

Sorry to sound stupid but what do you mean "software locked" ?

The 60D hardware is identical to the 75D, same exact battery pack with same number of cells as the 75D. The software just basically prevents you from charging it up past about 84%, that's how they limit the range from 237miles(75D) to 200miles(60D). Except for the ability to use that tiny portion at the top of the battery range the car behaves exactly like a 75D. Realistically that portion of the battery is rarely used for most people anyway. You don't regularly charge to 100% when you're just driving around local, and supercharging between 85% and 100% is so slow that it's not worth your time to do it. The only time that extra little bit of battery helps is on the first leg of a long journey or on a day where you expect to be driving >200miles but <237miles and can avoid having to recharge altogether.

When Tesla was selling both the X60D and X75D the price delta for that miniscule battery benefit was $9k! That was an absurd price to pay for what you were getting. Now you can upgrade your 60D -> 75D for $4.5k and you also get a 1second reduction in 0-60 time. Some think it's worth it for that price, I personally don't.

• Informative
Reactions: Bacalao
Thank-you for that explanation.

Just bought a 2016 P90D w/ 14k miles for $84k and LOVE the Model X but I can return the car by tomorrow for full refund. I can easily afford a 100D, but the upcharge after it's all said and done is $28k including tax,minus tax savings, etc.

I'm on the fence.

Now if there is a 110D or 120D around the corner that is a big deal. I don't know what happened when the 60d went away price-wisefor replacements and new models. Will they now lower the price of the 100D a little and raise the 110D/120D a little? It seems that they may hit a wall for price increases for larger batteries.