Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla drops annual service for as needed service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday Tesla announced, per Electrec, that the annual maintenance is program is being discontinued. For those of us that have pre-paid for the annual maintenance, where does this move leave us and our couple thousand dollars? The local SC had no information to offer about except a mother ship telephone number that is frustrating.

It is nice to know that Tesla feels an annual maintenance program is unnecessary.

Apparently the extended warranty is still unchanged.

Last edited by a moderator:
...pre-paid for the annual maintenance...

You can go ahead and use up your payment with each annual appointment

or

You can ask for a prorated refund of unused portion of your payment and skip those annual appointments

...Apparently the extended warranty is still unchanged.

"Unchanged" here means there's no new language to excuse owners from mandatory annual maintenance during the contract in order to make claims.

or

You can ask for a prorated refund of unused portion of your payment and skip those annual appointments

"Unchanged" here means there's no new language to excuse owners from mandatory annual maintenance during the contract in order to make claims.

Thanks @ Tam. Seems like a reasonable plan.

or

There will need to be clarification from Tesla on the ESA requirements. The ESA says to do the maintenance as recommended in the owner's manual. The owner's manual text has changed as the recommended service has changed, so I assume it will change again to reflect the new recommendations.

I am just about to schedule my first 12,500 mile service appointment under ESA, and I was unsure what they would perform on my car. I know they start over and do what was scheduled for 12,500 when I go in with 62,500, but I didn't know if they would make me go back and do things that I skipped under first 50,000 miles (I only did the first 12,500 mile service).

Now I have no idea what they will do, or if they will just skip the whole thing. Looking at the new recommendations, I guess if I'm lucky they will do the a/c service and test the brake fluid. Who knows? I was prepared for $850, so we'll see!

...Now I have no idea what they will do...

Tesla has been quite liberal in the enforcement but they have the right to go by the book if they want to be strict in the future.

The latest web page just came out yesterday:

Car Maintenance

"If I choose not to service my Tesla car, will this void my warranty?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected if recommended service is not performed. However, coverage under your Extended Service Agreement may be affected if the recommended service is not performed. See the Tesla Extended Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details."

The current, not new, ESA says:

"The Owner’s Manual includes specific recommendations regarding the use, operations, and maintenance of the Vehicle. To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles (1,600 km) and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA."

So I interpret that now we no longer need annual maintenance but we still have to produce receipts for new recommended services timely at 1,000 miles or 30 days.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
Tesla has been quite liberal in the enforcement but they have the right to go by the book if they want to be strict in the future.

The latest web page just came out yesterday:

Car Maintenance

"If I choose not to service my Tesla car, will this void my warranty?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected if recommended service is not performed. However, coverage under your Extended Service Agreement may be affected if the recommended service is not performed. See the Tesla Extended Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details."

The current, not new, ESA says:

"The Owner’s Manual includes specific recommendations regarding the use, operations, and maintenance of the Vehicle. To maintain the validity of this Vehicle ESA, You must follow correct operations procedures and have Your Vehicle serviced as recommended by Tesla during the Agreement Period of this Vehicle ESA. If requested, proof of required service, including receipts showing date and mileage of the Vehicle at the time of service, must be presented before any repairs under this Vehicle ESA commence. Service within 1,000 miles (1,600 km) and/or 30 days of Tesla’s recommended intervals shall be considered compliant with the terms of this Vehicle ESA."

So I interpret that now we no longer need annual maintenance but we still have to produce receipts for new recommended services timely at 1,000 miles or 30 days.
That is my interpretation as well. Unfortunately neither my interpretation, your interpretation, nor even the Service Center personnels' interpretation is what counts. It needs to be in writing so we can know what to do.

I'll wait a few days to allow the information to trickle down to the SC (they are always the last to know) and check what is needed.

If someone has an ESA, I would personally recommend they have the car in every year to year and a half or so.

There's not really anything for Tesla to do every 12,500 miles, especially on Model 3.

Even if you rack up the miles at 25,000 a year or more, seeing Tesla Service every eighteen months to two years is probably still plenty, especially if you don't have an ESA.

I think it's important to find a balance between "being a cheapskate" and potentially "being OCD" going in every 12,500 miles.

It's your Tesla, it's your money, but remember if you never have the car in with Tesla Service, things that you don't know need addressing will never get addressed. Even if your vehicle isn't under complete warranty, you'll want these potential issues corrected, for sure.

Find the balance that works for you!
If someone has an ESA, I would personally recommend they have the car in every year to year and a half or so.

There's not really anything for Tesla to do every 12,500 miles, especially on Model 3.

Even if you rack up the miles at 25,000 a year or more, seeing Tesla Service every eighteen months to two years is probably still plenty, especially if you don't have an ESA.

I think it's important to find a balance between "being a cheapskate" and potentially "being OCD" going in every 12,500 miles.

It's your Tesla, it's your money, but remember if you never have the car in with Tesla Service, things that you don't know need addressing will never get addressed. Even if your vehicle isn't under complete warranty, you'll want these potential issues corrected, for sure.

Find the balance that works for you!

Wirh EV's being much less (comprehensive) service - dependent than an ICE, there may be more to this revelation than meets the eye. Consider an equally relevant Factor, such as how slammed the SC's are. If the cars don't necessarily need it, plus skipping it reduces the slam, there will be much less tension, pulling up to a line of 3 dozen or more cars as is sometimes the case .... rather than a line of only ½ dozen.

Reactions: jmmp85d691hp
The promise of EVs was that they need less maintenance than ICE cars, so I was disappointed when I got my first Model S all those years ago and found that a pricey annual maintenance was required. For my second one a few years later I decided to wait 2 years, and later Tesla changed their recommendation to match that. And now it's only as needed. To think of all the unnecessary $$$$ I paid for with 2 Model S over the years!

I just got off the phone with my service centre and boy did I not like what I was just told...

First off, I wasn't aware the annual service program had been cancelled so I booked an appointment using the online system for my annual service (this would have been service #2 on this car).

In Canada, I paid $3,051.00 for the 4 year service plan. Last year (my first), they changed the wiper blades, new batteries for both key fobs, changed the interior filter and I think that was it. I specifically asked for an alignment and they said it was NOT necessary, so they did not do it.

So, I am not sure how they plan to do each individual refund, but if they simply divide what you paid by the years you used it (in my case, I would get a 75% refund) for the unused 3 of 4 years, I would have paid $763 for wiper blades, remote batters and an interior air filter. Probably less than an hour of labour to do all 3.

When I purchased the plan, I rationalized it as having some value because of the greater need for more service as the years went on, so at this point, I guess I will wait and see but I am not happy.

Morever, the lady at the SC said to me "no sir, you had your first service at 20k" at which point I told her, I bought the car CPO, with 21k and I didn't get the service plan until I had 30k on it. She paused... took a deep breath and said, "well sir, I have no ide what the company plans to do but I can guarantee you you had more work than simply wiper blades and batteries". Of course, I was staring at my invoice, so I know exactly what I had done... I am just hoping she is not a reflection of what is coming down the pipe.

...I am not happy...

I have no regrets in paying advance for maintenance even though it's not needed now.

It's just like a waste of time to go for a dental check or medical examination and "nothing" was done because there's no problem but I have no regrets.

I have been faithfully doing annual maintenance since buying a Tesla since 2012.

Initially, they did a lot more than what listed on the maintenance list.

They did many service bulletins (not just mandatory recalls).

During the inspection, they spotted signs of overheated Mobile connector points and they replaced it. It was working fine and I wouldn't know if I skipped the inspection.

In another year, during the inspection, they spotted the beginning of what known as "bubbles" and they replaced the whole MCU computer and the 17" display. If I skipped the inspection, I would have to wait until I discovered the bubbles myself and come back later.

Now, they have done much less as my last year Model X at 12,500 mile inspection only had the following:

- Corrections: Adjust 2nd Row LH Fold-Flat Seat Recliner Cable, 1st Generation Seats
- Pulled logs and checked for active faults: No Active faults
- Checked firmware version: Updated to latest version
- Performed function check of closures (moving glass, doors, trunks): Cleaned and lubricated latches. Good, no issue
- Tested and inspected charging with shop's cable.
- Replaced: Wiper Blades Key Fob Battery Cabin Air Filter
- Remote Keyless Entry: Good, no issue
- Seat belts and latches: Good, no issue
- Interior/exterior lighting and horn: Good, no issue
- Performed inspection of powertrain and chassis components: Good, no issues.
- Checked fluid levels: Topped off washer fluid. Brake and coolant levels optimal. No signs of leakage
- Inspected tires and rotated as necessary
- Measured tire tread depth at:
(Outer) (Center) (Inner) LF: 6 7 7 RF: 7 7 6 LR: 7 7 7 RR: 7 7 5
- Adjusted tire pressures to B-pillar spec: 42psi Front, 42psi Rear
- Measured brake pad thickness (mm)
LF: RF: LR: RR: Park: 7 7 7 7 5
- Performed 4-wheel alignment
- Test drive: Vehicle functions as designed
-LITHIUM COIN,3V,560mAh,23MM (1061712- 00-A) x2
-Corrections: Audio System - Speakers Subwoofer Amplifier General Diagnosis Sub-woofer was function tested and resulted in improper fitment of panel. Adjusted panel and function tested once again and confirmed rattle no longer present.
-Corrections: HV Battery Enclosure General Diagnosis Inspected charge limit-tested and vehicle charged to 99%

In my case, it has been well worth the money since 2012.

Reactions: Joerg
That's not really the issue...

The language is:

"
(c) After 60 days – With or Without Service Inspections: If You cancel Your Agreement on or after the 60th day following the Agreement Purchase Date, Your cancellation refund will be calculated based upon the balance of the remaining unused annual service inspections for the purchased Maintenance Plan option, excluding any and all used and/or forfeited annual service inspections. Each annual service inspection is not equal in price due to the actual services performed and will be deducted based upon the price of the specific annual service inspections used or forfeited prior to cancellation (subject to change in Tesla’s discretion)5

The issue is how are they going to give refunds?

Your contract has some criteria:

a) within 60 days of purchase and you didn't use any inspection
b) within 60 days of purchase and you did use an inspection
c) After 60 days of purchase

How are they going to calculate how much of the plan you "used"?

If you paid 4 and you only used 1 inspection, then they will refund the unused other 3.

Note that the price for each inspection is different so they refund yours based on the price of each inspection not the average of all 4 inspections.

I just got off the phone with my service centre and boy did I not like what I was just told...

First off, I wasn't aware the annual service program had been cancelled so I booked an appointment using the online system for my annual service (this would have been service #2 on this car).

In Canada, I paid $3,051.00 for the 4 year service plan. Last year (my first), they changed the wiper blades, new batteries for both key fobs, changed the interior filter and I think that was it. I specifically asked for an alignment and they said it was NOT necessary, so they did not do it.

So, I am not sure how they plan to do each individual refund, but if they simply divide what you paid by the years you used it (in my case, I would get a 75% refund) for the unused 3 of 4 years, I would have paid $763 for wiper blades, remote batters and an interior air filter. Probably less than an hour of labour to do all 3.

When I purchased the plan, I rationalized it as having some value because of the greater need for more service as the years went on, so at this point, I guess I will wait and see but I am not happy.

Morever, the lady at the SC said to me "no sir, you had your first service at 20k" at which point I told her, I bought the car CPO, with 21k and I didn't get the service plan until I had 30k on it. She paused... took a deep breath and said, "well sir, I have no ide what the company plans to do but I can guarantee you you had more work than simply wiper blades and batteries". Of course, I was staring at my invoice, so I know exactly what I had done... I am just hoping she is not a reflection of what is coming down the pipe.
That is completely nuts. $800+ for a basic service?
Ford:
With THE WORKS, you’ll get virtually everything you need to maintain the performance of your Ford including tire rotation and pressure check, brake inspection, vehicle inspection, fluid top-off, battery test, filter check, and belts and hoses check.

They go beyond that list and replace small items no charge.

Cost to me: $40 :eek: